A Doomers Requiem

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Forlorn Creator

A Doomers Requiem

Post by Forlorn Creator »

Hello,

I posted this project a while back on Doomworld, and made the mistake of not giving proper introductory display.
I won't make that mistake twice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADR contains short sections in the story of a certain mans life, told in a highly esoteric, metaphorical / symbolical, and unconventional way. Keep this in mind as you play; and give an attempt to understand things rather than signing it off as ubiquitous drivel, and you may be able walk away with something special.

It is fairly short, and should only take about 30 minutes to complete.

I have spent roughly 3 years making this, and you will see things that you have never seen in any other doom mods in this project. No, I am not boasting about my talents, and I know you will understand once you play through this. Please leave a critique in the following link if you feel led to do so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the link:

---------------------------------------------->http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... -c/adr.zip <----------------------------------------------

A couple of screen shots:

Enjoy

Here is a link to a review made by Zorah on Doom Station, It's got a lot of nice screenies:

http://www.doomwadstation.net/2014/adr/
Last edited by Forlorn Creator on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
demo_the_man

Re: A Doomers Requiem

Post by demo_the_man »

looks good, I hope this turns out to be good
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

If this doesn't win a cacoward, let me tell you - I don't know what will. Nicely done.
Last edited by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

dontt have time to play it now, but those screenies look really good
Forlorn Creator

Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:If this doesn't win a cacoward, let me tell you - I don't know what will. Nicely done.

That means a lot that you would say that, I give it to God.

And thank you for your kindness.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I really like this, despite my personal opinions.
Forlorn Creator

xenoxols wrote:I really like this, despite my personal opinions.
I know you and other will disagree, but I am at least glad that you found it to be enjoyable.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Spoiler: Actual spoiler
My thoughts? Well, I don't get it. The whole thing was confusing. Why is he here? Why is he seeing this? I think I have an idea of that second one (see spoiler), but I don't understand how that would relate to the 3 events.
As for gameplay:
  • First map was OK, reminded me of the first level of TurboCharged Arcade 2, with the climbing to the top thing.
  • Second map was tough, but I managed to make it in one go.
  • The third really was a challenge, as it said, but in a good way. I managed.
Detailing is great. I noticed that immediately. Overall, it's an OK mod, but I don't really get it. It was indeed short, but I was only left confused.
Forlorn Creator

TheMightyHeracross,

"So was this supposed to be a mission or something?"

Not quite.

Think of it like poetry; reflect on what the meaning of the monsters, color choices, textures, architecture, etc, represent. Lots of symbolism.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

This was enjoyable and very well made. :) The symbolism, both of numbers and biblical metaphors, was not lost on me, but the design is certainly surreal enough to be confusing by itself.
Spoiler: Spoilery and religious thoughts
Forlorn Creator

SidDoyle,

I appreciate the fact that you understand more of the symbolism behind this project.

Read the spoiler below if you like:
Spoiler:
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Quite an intriguing mod; I enjoyed it thoroughly. I really like surreal stuff like this, so this was right up my alley. :)

The levels are very well designed, and fit the mood nicely. The third level's design is probably my favorite; it just looks so heavenly and majestic.

If there's one thing that pulled me out of the immersion, however, it's the use of music from other video games (Metroid Prime, Silent Hill, etc.) There's nothing wrong with using the music, as the soundtracks you chose fit the scenes quite well; it was just a little distracting to hear songs I know from other games in the otherwise unique experience.

My thoughts on the symbolism of the mod (and a possible explanation of it):
Spoiler:
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

This was kind of a strange wad, lots of eye piercingly bright colors and then quick transitions to Gothic colors. The camera movement was actually pretty good in some cut scenes.
I left like the majority of the wad was an LSD trip mainly the bright areas looked like you just put random colors everywhere.

I realize this wad is full of christian symbolism and shit, but when playing I felt like you were trying to convert me to Christianity or something. All these god quotes and god help me texts was just a little ehhh..silly idk, it made me feel like you wanted the player to think he was absolutely helpless without god.

But forgetting all of the christian stuff in the wad I thought that the fights were really bland and boring, trying to kill a bunch of flying bishops with a sword was kind of annoying and the boss fight only seems beatable when you melee him with the glowing hands. The cut scenes were actually not bad and the texturing in the darker areas of the wad were actually really cool looking.

Overall the wad wasn't bad and some of the cut scenes were well made, but the fighting needs refinement.
Forlorn Creator

idGamer wrote:Quite an intriguing mod; I enjoyed it thoroughly. I really like surreal stuff like this, so this was right up my alley. :)

The levels are very well designed, and fit the mood nicely. The third level's design is probably my favorite; it just looks so heavenly and majestic.

If there's one thing that pulled me out of the immersion, however, it's the use of music from other video games (Metroid Prime, Silent Hill, etc.) There's nothing wrong with using the music, as the soundtracks you chose fit the scenes quite well; it was just a little distracting to hear songs I know from other games in the otherwise unique experience.

My thoughts on the symbolism of the mod (and a possible explanation of it):
Spoiler:

Very interesting ideas you have!

As for the music well, I was unable to create tracks that were on par with what was required to set the mood in some of the areas of the game. I do however, understand what you mean though by how it could distract from the surreal experience.

Next your ideas:
Spoiler:
Forlorn Creator

Unholypimpin wrote:This was kind of a strange wad, lots of eye piercingly bright colors and then quick transitions to Gothic colors. The camera movement was actually pretty good in some cut scenes.
I left like the majority of the wad was an LSD trip mainly the bright areas looked like you just put random colors everywhere.

I realize this wad is full of christian symbolism and shit, but when playing I felt like you were trying to convert me to Christianity or something. All these god quotes and god help me texts was just a little ehhh..silly idk, it made me feel like you wanted the player to think he was absolutely helpless without god.

But forgetting all of the christian stuff in the wad I thought that the fights were really bland and boring, trying to kill a bunch of flying bishops with a sword was kind of annoying and the boss fight only seems beatable when you melee him with the glowing hands. The cut scenes were actually not bad and the texturing in the darker areas of the wad were actually really cool looking.

Overall the wad wasn't bad and some of the cut scenes were well made, but the fighting needs refinement.
Hey man, I understand that not everyone will agree with the message that I put in here but I'm not actively trying to convert you. This wad is just a story, with heavy Judeo/Christian connotations.
Against demons, an SSG just won't do...

The notion that the wad is an LSD trip and full of random colors however, I feel is completely unfounded. Each area has Two main colors, with a few complementary colors all very well organized in accordance with the color wheel to create contrasting and matching colors as needed.

Yes some areas are supposed to be very bright, this too has a specific meaning, but I'm sorry if they strained your eyes, really.

Your criticism over the fights is more reasonable though. While I realize that it was difficult to fight the bishops with just a melee weapon, I helped to negate this affect by putting them in an enclosed area. I don't think this creates an unsavory and bland situation however.

The boss fight is supposed to be difficult, as it represents the final challenge. However, I am sorry; I play a lot of Dark Souls and this is undoubtedly why the boss is so difficult for some. So the boss seemed easy to me, I can beat him with just melee.

Thank you for playing and for giving good feedback! Much appreciated.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”