HacX 1.2

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: HacX 1.2

Post by Jimmy »

I wondered about that too. I don't want to start a horrendous debate about it, but I do think that, as a full IWAD which is now detected by ZDoom, it should allow jump and crouch by default.

Then again, there is the jump/crouch disabling override, so maybe I shouldn't complain. :P

Oh, and make sure you check out Protean Cybex, guys. I was a tester for that map, and it's freakin' fantastic. ;)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The berserk switch is fixed. Interestingly, the new berserk had no DECORATE code -- ditto for the Centrophenoxine (Soulsphere) and Body Armor (Megasphere) powerups. All added now, at any rate. :P

And yes, the crouch/jump disabling is a bit of a tricky issue, but it will break maps if used in the wrong places and since there's an override, it should probably stay how it is so it doesn't cause trouble by accident.

And thanks, Jimmy! Hmm... maybe I should refer to it as Protean Cybex 2 for now, so it doesn't get mixed up with the old (barely a) MAP16. :P
Nash

Post by Nash »

A few things I noticed when playing this with ZDoom:

- Game mode is still Doom so it will autoload my Doom stuff. I have nashgore autoloaded and this really messed up the HacX actors.
- The bunny cursor is used in the menus. :P
- Weapons aren't widescreen friendly.

It's a cool IWAD though!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Nash wrote:- Game mode is still Doom so it will autoload my Doom stuff. I have nashgore autoloaded and this really messed up the HacX actors.
There is currently no Hacx namespace, so it still uses the Doom one. I'm not sure if this is going to change for 2.0 -- it's sorta out of my hands, but it's not impossible.
Nash wrote:- The bunny cursor is used in the menus. :P
Hey, Doom has a bunny cursor now! Interesting -- I haven't actually messed much with any versions with the new menu code, but it seems nice. At any rate, this is something that'll have to be added on ZDoom's end, but good catch. I'm not sure if I ever would've noticed any time this century...
Nash wrote:- Weapons aren't widescreen friendly.
On the contrary -- widescreen modes aren't weapon-friendly. :P

Fixing that is a possibility for 2.0, but it really boils down to finding someone who's brave enough to draw the extra parts. At least it's only a couple of weapons.

At any rate, I'm about ready to upload this to /idgames, I think. Just about every major (and minor) problem that's been mentioned here or on DW has been addressed, so if there's still a spot that hasn't been brought up yet, make sure to say it between now and tomorrow-ish. I need to start focusing on getting the ball really rolling for 2.0. ;)

And I know it's bad practice to update something without bumping the version number, so let's just pretend the one everyone's downloaded is 1.2 RC1. :P
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Nash wrote:- Game mode is still Doom so it will autoload my Doom stuff. I have nashgore autoloaded and this really messed up the HacX actors.
Like Xaser said, Hacx still more or less pretends to be Doom 2 (just like Harmony and Urban Brawl). I'm assuming your nashgore autoload is in generic Doom section? Instead load it in the more specific autoloads (Doom1, Doom2, tnt, plutonia, etc). The latest SVN should have a section for Hacx autoloads as well.
Xaser wrote:Stuff about being ready to upload to idgames.
You still need to commit your latest changes to the SVN. ;)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Blzut3 wrote:You still need to commit your latest changes to the SVN. ;)
Hehe, guess it's hard to close a branch if said branch isn't up-to-date. Will do soon.

Of course, now you've gone and reminded me that I have to copy a lot of the 1.2 tweaks over to the 2.0 trunk now... curses. :P
Cage

Post by Cage »

Nash wrote:- Weapons aren't widescreen friendly.
Guess you have to start somewhere.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, blimey! That's a nice surprise. :)

And here I was, thinking I had just made the final 1.2 SVN commit... :P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

There should be a glove on the right hand holding the uzi and also a proper reloading mechanic for the uzi would be great.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

The 1.2 release is meant purely as a bugfix of the original version with some minor enhancements. What you are asking for is outside of the scope for this release.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Snarboo wrote:The 1.2 release is meant purely as a bugfix of the original version with some minor enhancements. What you are asking for is outside of the scope for this release.
I know that, I'm just suggesting for future releases (maybe). I don't think anyone will take my idea into account so I was just throwing that out there. :roll:
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I agree about the glove, but the "reloading" is fine.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

While we're on the subject, I am planning a weapons revamp for 2.0, and giving the uzi a simple reload sequence (perhaps every 50 rounds, a la Shadow Warrior) is something that might be worth doing.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Xaser wrote:While we're on the subject, I am planning a weapons revamp for 2.0, and giving the uzi a simple reload sequence (perhaps every 50 rounds, a la Shadow Warrior) is something that might be worth doing.
Oh, i thought the "idea" with the reload is so that you can't use it as you can with the chaingun in doom ala "snipe" with it.
And a real reload system would probably just be annyoing for me :/ (I kind of prefer no reloading)
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I too think the current reloading for the uzi is fine. The SW one is kinda annoying because you often have to reload when you are facing enemies.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”