GZDoom 4.12.2 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[πŸ”Ž Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.12.2 released

Post by Redneckerz »

Xterra wrote: ↑Sat May 25, 2024 6:58 pm I don't understand why these folks are saying "break it".
But the post you refer to didn't say that?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Redneckerz wrote: ↑Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 pm
Xterra wrote: ↑Sat May 25, 2024 6:58 pm I don't understand why these folks are saying "break it".
The post that spawned the topic did:
HyperAlpha wrote: ↑Thu May 16, 2024 10:43 am Unpopular opinion: Windows 7 support should be removed.
Xterra
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win7 SP1 / Tiny10 dualboot
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xterra »

Redneckerz wrote: ↑Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 pm
I know. My point was that I didn't understand why people are saying to break something that works, when there's no end benefit or spared headache at this point in time. It works, it doesn't harm anything, so why break it just because you're feeling capricious?

Down the line? Yeah, sure, I can understand it being a pisser for the dev team to keep support for an aging OS, and I regard that as an inevitability for a game engine that's always in active development. But for the meantime, it doesn't NEED to be broken. Graf himself said as much, Rachel agreed, so they actually *restored* Win7 support in 4.12.2 with a simple change. So what's there to gain from deliberately breaking it because "it's not the new thing, therefore is bad"?

EDIT: Sorry for the necrobump! You can tell I don't visit here often...
Professor Hastig
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Professor Hastig »

Xterra wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:39 am Down the line? Yeah, sure, I can understand it being a pisser for the dev team to keep support for an aging OS, and I regard that as an inevitability for a game engine that's always in active development. But for the meantime, it doesn't NEED to be broken. Graf himself said as much, Rachel agreed, so they actually *restored* Win7 support in 4.12.2 with a simple change. So what's there to gain from deliberately breaking it because "it's not the new thing, therefore is bad"?
Deliberately breaking something does not make much sense, of course, especially if it's easily avoided.
But Windows 7 is ancient by now and it's only a matter of time until some dependency makes a change that breaks any chance of continued support.

Return to β€œZDoom (and related) News”