Dominus Diabolicus - 33-map megawad - RELEASED (3/8/2024)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Dominus Diabolus - In-Progress mapset (Updated 3/6)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Bofubutt wrote:That is how you get the Soulsphere, completely intended.
Hmmm... weirdly enough, on a second playthrough, I cannot get it anymore by hugging the wall. I guess the first time was an accident.
Spoiler:
EDIT #1: In MAP04,
Spoiler:
EDIT #2: In MAP05, three Hell Knights waiting in the third hidden row at the bottom of the map seem unable to teleport in, even after having been activated.

In any case, the music is pretty good, even if it does not always fit the mood of the map - which to be fair is something vanilla Doom is equally as guilty, so that is not really a criticism.

You seem to be quite talented as a composer! :thumb:
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Ah, my apologies - that's how you're intended to get it. I misread your original message. I might change it up to make it more visible and prevent accidental cheese/not triggering the secret. I'm willing to bet it was one of those speedrunner "grab items through walls" things that only works when you're going a certain speed and direction.
Spoiler:
Fixed for the next release, thank you!
EDIT #2: In MAP05, three Hell Knights waiting in the third hidden row at the bottom of the map seem unable to teleport in, even after having been activated.
Can't recreate this one. Which port/complevel are you using? That might help me figure out what's going on.

Never mind, figured it out. Teleport destination was misplaced in the version of the wad in the archive.
In any case, the music is pretty good, even if it does not always fit the mood of the map - which to be fair is something vanilla Doom is equally as guilty, so that is not really a criticism.

You seem to be quite talented as a composer! :thumb:
Thanks for the feedback! My approach to the music was definitely similar to how the tracks were made in the original Doom - everything, in fact, is meant to be a bit reminiscent of the original experience, including having a variety of music that doesn't necessarily intend to reflect the map being played but just accompany the action (but some tracks do - see MAP04)

EDIT: I've updated the download to have fixes for the double secret in MAP04 and the Hell Knight not spawning in MAP05.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Oh yeah, when I first heard MAP03's track, I thought it was Lee Jackson's "Going Down The Fast Way"! :thumb:

Anyway, I made it to MAP07. So far, it is pretty good: harder than Doom II, but much easier than Plutonia.

My least favourite map for the time being would be MAP02: I do not really care much for attempts to create Duke Nukem 3D-style levels using vanilla Doom assets, but much like with the music, there are much-beloved official and semi-official mapsets (e.g. TNT Evilution, Perdition's Gate, Hell To Pay) that did just that, so I guess it is more of a matter of taste.

Keep up the good work!
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Oh yeah, when I first heard MAP03's track, I thought it was Lee Jackson's "Going Down The Fast Way"! :thumb:

Anyway, I made it to MAP07. So far, it is pretty good: harder than Doom II, but much easier than Plutonia.

My least favourite map for the time being would be MAP02: I do not really care much for attempts to create Duke Nukem 3D-style levels using vanilla Doom assets, but much like with the music, there are much-beloved official and semi-official mapsets (e.g. TNT Evilution, Perdition's Gate, Hell To Pay) that did just that, so I guess it is more of a matter of taste.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks. MAP02 is probably the most "Doomcute" level out of any of them and has a layout that popped into my head, but then struck me as ideal for an office-type building. I liked the idea of multiple entrances and exits to the building for deathmatch purposes, and it all stuck. Levels like that won't be the norm, especially since MAP11 (which I've started working on) is the last map of the "Earth" episode and is literally called "Go To Hell," so there's not much room for those types of levels going forward!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Spoiler:
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Spoiler:
You don't need it to beat the level, but there are a few clues around the level. If you do some switch hunting, you may find it.

Hint 1:
Spoiler:
Hint 2:
Spoiler:
Solution:
Spoiler:
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Got it, thanks! Boy, you sure love those thin switches. :lol:
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Got it, thanks! Boy, you sure love those thin switches. :lol:
Only ever for secrets, I promise!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Given how you keep ramping up the monster count with every map, I am afraid MAP29 might end up breaking Doom! :lol:

Anyway, MAP09's teleporter puzzle strikes me as deeply unfair: I do not mind trial and error if the penalty is not too harsh, but here, if you pick the wrong teleporter, you instantly die. :?
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Given how you keep ramping up the monster count with every map, I am afraid MAP29 might end up breaking Doom! :lol:

Anyway, MAP09's teleporter puzzle strikes me as deeply unfair: I do not mind trial and error if the penalty is not too harsh, but here, if you pick the wrong teleporter, you instantly die. :?
Spoiler:
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I see. Still not a fan of that kind of trap, especially in an early non-secret level.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I see. Still not a fan of that kind of trap, especially in an early non-secret level.
I had originally made the trap teleport the player to the very first room, but the three or so playtesters I had thought that was too frustrating because they couldn't tell that they were being returned to the start of the sequence.

I might make the puzzle a little more obvious in the future by putting some player corpses in front of the doors that lead to death in the first two chambers and always giving the player the option to backtrack, but I really don't see myself changing it to a different type of puzzle (or relying too heavily on that sort of puzzle in the future). I might remove the death penalty and simply teleport the player out to the front, but I'd need more input on that first. It's a much tamer version of the puzzle in MAP30 of TNT.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Then again, the teleporter puzzle in TNT's MAP30 is really easy to figure out, as you only need to look at the automap and notice the pattern with the teleporter lines.

In any case, marine corpses as a warning sign would be an intuitive solution. On my way to the puzzle, I did not notice the clues and I am not used to stopping and taking notes while playing Doom.

EDIT: I have beaten Tunnel Vision, where I was able to accidentally grab the secret BFG by running into the bars. That minor issue aside, it was pretty good and I am looking forward to the rest!
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Then again, the teleporter puzzle in TNT's MAP30 is really easy to figure out, as you only need to look at the automap and notice the pattern with the teleporter lines.

In any case, marine corpses as a warning sign would be an intuitive solution. On my way to the puzzle, I did not notice the clues and I am not used to stopping and taking notes while playing Doom.
Marine corpses added! I'm still on the fence about changing the teleporter from a instagib to a soft reset of the puzzle. Feels less punishing, but still very trial-and-error-y.
EDIT: I have beaten Tunnel Vision, where I was able to accidentally grab the secret BFG by running into the bars. That minor issue aside, it was pretty good and I am looking forward to the rest!
Dang it, I tried doing that in my playtests and couldn't pull that off, so I thought it was good. (The actual method to get the BFG is mildly annoying, though, so I might change that up anyway.)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Yeah, I can live with the instagib trap if I am given more than cryptic clues. The other problem with the coloured torches is that I had to memorize the whole sequence.

And yes, getting the BFG in MAP10 is slightly annoying indeed. I was not going to complain about it, but now that you mention it, you might want to take away the timed puzzle and just have the secret switch lower the stair section permanently.

Return to “Levels”