Universal Rain and Snow

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gar0npeX

Re: Universal Rain and Snow

Post by Gar0npeX »

I love how this works, is the random weather cycle a planned feature? I wish I could code it in but I lack the technical knowledge.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

Can someone remove the sky check with a toggle so we can have the weathers inside as some of the effects like the hell weathers could come in handy for atmosphere mods. I have the wind now (not in real life...currently anyway :lol: )

Any help?
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

Thought I'd give an update on this since I do have some future plans for it. Right now this variant is kinda limited because I didn't intend for it to be used as a base class, but it seems there's enough of a desire for moddability that I've rethought that. For the next update I'll likely be massively overhauling the interface functionality to make it easier to tweak. I'd like to add a WTHRINFO lump to allow direct modding of different precipitation types without having to open the class files. I figure this will make it much more "plug and play" then the current version and will be great for mappers who are already familiar with formats like MAPINFO (which it'll likely be modeled after). I'll also be adding some ACS wrapper functions so mappers can freely use it in their maps. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing this since I'm busy with other work at the moment, but better mod integration is planned.
ileblanc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ileblanc »

I'm loading the weather.pk3 but I can't see no weather effects on any map. What am I doing wrong?
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

Lippeth wrote:After using it for a few days I thought it would be cool to add green and red rain to match different environments.
Cool, can we have it?
ileblanc wrote:I'm loading the weather.pk3 but I can't see no weather effects on any map. What am I doing wrong?
Customize Controls. The weather type and intensity is toggled by the player.
It's far better than it sounds
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

Zenon wrote:
Lippeth wrote:After using it for a few days I thought it would be cool to add green and red rain to match different environments.
Cool, can we have it?
He already did, look on the 3rd page for the extra addon :D

I have also added ash and wind while also making it 'everywhere' but it kills framerates so i am waiting more for an updated version before doing anything with this. Hopefully he adds them in officially as options/settings.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

thugsta wrote:I have also added ash and wind while also making it 'everywhere' but it kills framerates so i am waiting more for an updated version before doing anything with this. Hopefully he adds them in officially as options/settings.
;)
ileblanc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ileblanc »

Zenon wrote:
Cool, can we have it?
ileblanc wrote:I'm loading the weather.pk3 but I can't see no weather effects on any map. What am I doing wrong?
Customize Controls. The weather type and intensity is toggled by the player.
It's far better than it sounds
My bad! I didn't even thought of searching on the control options! Thanks man! Now I can see some bloody rain!
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

The newest version is now out! Includes a plethora of new features including:
  • Two new weather types: blood rain and ash. Both include 3 intensities which showcase some of the new features
  • A new options menu. Key binds for weather type cycling have been moved here. Includes individual volume sliders, different precipitation levels, toggles for fog and lightning, and the ability to set a default weather type
  • Key binds for toggling to the previous weather type and intensity
  • A significantly overhauled modding interface. With the new WTHRINFO lump you can now directly mod weather types yourself all from the comfort of your favorite text editor! The days of diving into the ZScript code are gone
  • An overhauled system for adding new weather types! Again, no ZScript coding needed
  • Various bug fixes, such as rain spawning inside 3D floors and a fix for a rare crash
I'll be including a brief guide in the main post for modifying it. There are still plans in the future to release the actual weather spawner as its own resource independent of this one. I've just got to get the documentation together and it'll be good to go. Check out Smokey's Dooming The Bar to see it in action! With his help I've managed to streamline the process of adding it into your own maps and controlling it directly from ACS.
HDV
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by HDV »

Wow, blood and ashes, exactly what I wanted! Thanks for updating the mod ^^
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, nice update - and looks easy to customise too. Looking forward to the separate resource version as well.

The performance impact with these effects seems to be minimal (on my machine at least). Great job.
NoodleCupDetective
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by NoodleCupDetective »

Great update. I kinda miss the toxic rain added by Lippeth's patch, but I can understand if it doesn't fit your vision.
Customization looks sweet aswell.

All in all, cheers for the update.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

The standalone version has been released! See this thread for more details.
OFFICIALDOOMFUY
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by OFFICIALDOOMFUY »

I've been attempting to add this into my PK3 file for about the past 3 hours and just staring blankly in confusion as to why it's not working. Everything I've done seems to be right. I've compared to other mods and my setup is the same. I've adjusted everything involving the includes so that everything is referenced and called correctly. No errors on that end, or even at all. Set up the required ACS OPEN script for the level in question with the weather type set as MedRain, it's outdoors with the ceiling set as F_SKY1 and I've placed the weather spawner in the map. It just simply doesn't rain at all when I test run the map and I've searched around, asked questions and racked my brains as to the reasons why and I can't figure it out. If anyone has any ideas as to why, I need a second opinion. If you need any screenshots or more info, I'm happy to provide.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well, obviously *something* isn't set up correctly, but you haven't provided anything for anyone to actually look at. So, at best, all people will be able to do is take a wild guess. If you provide a testable example of your setup, then someone will likely be able to figure out the problem.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”