Universal Rain and Snow

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Boondorl

Universal Rain and Snow

Post by Boondorl »

Requires GZDoom 4.11.1 or newer
Download

Wanna make your own weather effects for your own maps? Check out this thread for the standalone library.

Weather effects have long been difficult to achieve in Doom. Maps that have them often use it sparingly because of the performance cost. In the pursuit of moodier atmosphere, I decided to make a more universal solution so that you can make any map rainy or more cozy with snow.
Spoiler: Clips
It's also more efficient than other solutions have been so far allowing for more rain and snow on the screen at once. Works great with Hexen and modern Doom maps.
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: Adding New Weather Types
Spoiler: Creating Weather Patterns
Last edited by Boondorl on Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:40 am, edited 21 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Universal Rain and Snow

Post by Enjay »

This is very nice - and I don't notice any appreciable performance hit on my machine.

Would it be easy for a modder to adapt this so that it can be enabled on specific maps only and perhaps controlled within the map somehow (i.e. it starts/stops snowing at some point during play)?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I really appreciate awesome universal addons like these. Thank you for making it, gives me more variety to enjoy in my playthroughs.

I take it the weather effects only appear outdoors and stay off when the player goes to spaces that have a ceiling above them?
sarahk99

Post by sarahk99 »

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/1YyEGj6[/imgur]

Weather effects have long been difficult to achieve in Doom. Maps that have them often use it sparingly because of the performance cost. In the pursuit of moodier atmosphere, I decided to make a more universal solution so that you can make any map rainy or more cozy with snow.
Spoiler: Clips
It's also more efficient than other solutions have been so far allowing for more rain and snow on the screen at once. Works great with Hexen and modern Doom maps. Online play hasn't been 100% verified so use it with caution there.
Spoiler: Credits

effects are looking pretty sweet
keep up the good work
maybe you have some other projects?
Last edited by sarahk99 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TommyGalano5
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TommyGalano5 »

Nice! Now i can play with full immersion question tho will this have lighting's and thunderstorms?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks very atmospheric indeed. But i wonder if i could adjust the intensity of the climate. Like wind or thunders.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Very cool
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

For next update I was contemplating adding an intensity toggle. Wind on the rain and snow itself would be simple, but it can't affect actors in any way or it unfortunately breaks multiplayer. Something like high winds for a snow storm and thunder for heavy rain would be a good idea. Anything that affects the map itself is out of the question since it could also break multiplayer, but there might be some clever ways to fake things like lightning.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Very nice; I might well consider integrating it into Walp; though it would probably have to have a method to consider the ceiling texture, and only apply the weather if it returns a skybox. Hmm... I wonder if something like TexMan.CheckForTexture could work in that regard... though my ZScript is rudimentary at best. Might be awhile off (lol).
Last edited by eharper256 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

eharper256 wrote:though it would probably have to have a method to consider the ceiling texture, and only apply the weather if it returns a skybox.
If I understand your comment correctly, it already does that.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Enjay wrote:
eharper256 wrote:though it would probably have to have a method to consider the ceiling texture, and only apply the weather if it returns a skybox.
If I understand your comment correctly, it already does that.
Indeed it does! I should probably test things before assuming otherwise... :shock:
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Wow, this is really an astounding addon, mister Boondorl! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, very nice work! :thumb:

You know, it's so good that I have not resisted the temptation to customize it a little to my personal taste, and I have made a slightly improved version which includes some random thunder effects for rainy mode, plus a moderate wind sound effect for snowy mode. Also I've replaced the rain and snow original sprites with more classic ones (those from Strife game, to be precise) for giving it a more 'retro' touch. I also have used some additional code and resources from here and here to accomplish it. If you wanna take it a peek, just follow this link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4omk5c6h ... R.WAD/file

(File credits go mainly attributed to original creators).
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

Nice, I was looking for some good thunder sounds so I'll probably yoink those for next update. I already have my own thunder implemented along with some other important changes. Just gotta do more clean up and testing and it'll be ready to release.
Spoiler: Maybe a sneak peak, though
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Grrrr, why Im not come up to idea made my weather library as a standalone mod?????
Well, moment is missed....
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Little bug:

When playing Hexen with this, if you enable the rain weather, leave the hub and get back, the sound will be muted. rain needs to be re-enabled for the sound to come back. Otherwise this is pure awesomeness.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”