Angled Doom v0.8, ADP v2.1 and AD Lite v1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Angled Doom v0.7 and Plus add-on v2.0

Post by jdredalert »

News!

I would like to announce that a triple update is on the works already. Angled Doom, Angled Doom Lite and Angled Doom Plus are receiving revisions, bug hunting and new content (or in case of Angled Doom Lite, less stuff such as colored lights). Release date to be announced, but expect it to be really soon!

(Something i've learned last year, small packs of new content creates a better workflow than basically rebuilding your mod and trying to test/add every cool idea that cross your mind during the day)
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Excited to see what's coming! I just recently started using this over Smooth Doom (Because I played Smooth Doom to death, not because its bad. In fact, I absolutely love that mod) and its been a good fresh take on the classic Doom games for me.

Out of curiosity, is the Shotgun sprite going to be updated to look like the one in Nobody Told Me About Id? (where you can see the iron sight of the Shotgun or whatever its called better) It won't be a deal breaker by any means, just curious.

jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

As at the time of this writing, the mod still sports the older version of it (the one in the left). However, i remember that back in the day, Denis Belmondo posted the updated version here in this thread. For some reason i forgot to add - probably because i got carried away with Angled Doom Plus last year and spent the whole year working on it. It really looks better in my opinion, so consider the shotgun sprite changed ;)

Also, i'm going to post a few images of the W.I.P., probably later today. I'm just polishing some rough edges, but the update is basically complete at this point.
mamaluigisbagel

That's great to hear, will likely download all three when they do release! :D

Might as well ask btw since I haven't done a full run with Angled Doom Plus yet: What are the first icons on the HUD for? I noticed one of the HUDS has 5 of them are so, but never found out what they were for. (or course they may have been removed in the upcoming version, but just in case :P)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

HUD icons represents powerups you gather. At the right side you have the sphere power ups, and at the left you have 5 red and blue fist icons - and i believe these are the ones you're talking about. They get active when you find the Berserk pack, and grants you 5 berserk punches that can insta-kill any enemy. Once you use the 5 punches (either by using the hotkey or by selecting the fist) or finish the level, the power up is gone.
jdredalert

Re: Angled Doom v0.8, ADP 2v.1 and AD Lite1.1

Post by jdredalert »

Triple Update Released!!

Yeah, the three files are already uploaded and available to download! Bunch of changes happened:
Spoiler: Angled Doom v0.8
Spoiler: Angled Doom Lite v1.1
Spoiler: Angled Doom Plus v2.1
And here's some screenshots of the new content:
Spoiler: Screenshots
Ezper
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Angled Doom v0.8, ADP v2.1 and AD Lite v1.1

Post by Ezper »

Suggestions of things you should fix:

-Plasma rifle sprites
-Chaingun sprites
-UAC Rifle firing sound

I know this mod is veeeery old, but I hope you come around to fixing these
Ezper
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ezper »

And the pistol sprite for the lite version too
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Sorry the delay in responding, i'm having less and less time to visit the forums these days and i'm failing to keep track on the thread. But back to your feedback:
Ezper wrote:Suggestions of things you should fix:

-Plasma rifle sprites
-Chaingun sprites
-UAC Rifle firing sound

Would you mind being a little more specific on the fixes? How exactly are those things broken? Are they glitching or not working properly in some way? It's been a while since i played it, but at least until the last update i think everything was working fine.
Ezper wrote:I know this mod is veeeery old, but I hope you come around to fixing these
Wait, what? The mod is only two years old and the last update was four months ago! lol
mamaluigisbagel

A newer small pet peeve of mine has been that Angled Doom has the new pistol sprites while Angled Doom Lite has the old pistol sprites. I don't know if this was fixed or intentional? (which tbh I personally prefer the old sprites anyway but its not a deal breaker)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

It was an overlook of my part, really. I probably forgot to replace the sprites because i was working on the three versions at the same time. If there is enough demand i could replace them. I have a really soft spot in my heart for the older sprites, but i wanted a newer - and also bigger - version of the Doom pistol. I noticed that other mods uses some of the sprites from Angled Doom (something that i'm not only completely fine with, i also encourage people to use them without the need of asking permissions or anything) and i wanted something to differentiate AD a bit.

BTW, thanks for the feedback 8-)
WolVexus

Post by WolVexus »

Hiya!

I'm still relatively new to modding (Brutal Doom Power Fantasy being my first actual attempt at doing anything) and I was wondering if you would be alright with me tinkering around with things and possibly make an addon of my own?

If not, that's perfectly understandable!
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

Interesting. This mod was mentioned to me recently since I've been working on a mod that, among other things, includes dual-wielding shotguns as a feature, as a good source for replacement sprites. If I did and you were alright with it being used, which do you feel would be better visually?
1. Keeping the vanilla straight-on shotgun for single shotgun and using Angled Doom's sprites for dual shotguns.
or
2. Using the angled shotgun for both?

EDIT: I'm thinking option one would be better, if you're alright with it. Messed around with how it'll probably end up looking, couple examples:
SHT3A0.png
SHT3A0.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
SHT3T0.png
SHT3T0.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Hey, it's been a while since my last entry here. I don't see a problem editing stuff from Angled Doom and it's addons. All the sprites used were previously shared to the community, and i made sure to pick the ones we could use and modify at our own will, with the bless of the original creators. I even made some changes on them myself in Angled Doom Plus. So, everyone, feel free to butcher the pk3 file and use all the assets - coding included - in your own projects. Just make sure that you will: 1 - Credit the original creators of the assets you are using (there's a credits file inside the pk3 with all the info you need) and 2 - Put some effort into your project, even though you're borrowing stuff. I see no problem if people decide to use parts or even full coding and graphics from Angled Doom, just try not to copy and paste the whole contents of the mod into another mod and call it something else. I know most of the time the members of this community won't do that and will stand firmly against plagiarism, but I already saw my fair share of Frankenstein-mods that duct taped together a lot of other people's works into questionable final products.

@Chaosvolt
I loved the dual SSG! Keep up your work! In regards of your mod, if you're going to make a mod focusing on centered sprites, i believe you could use the angled ones for akimbo weapons. My tip is, try not to mesh angled and centered guns, unless you have a good reason to do that - for example, dual wielding. If your regular shotgun is centered, making the ssg angled will be odd and break the consistency of your work.
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

Nice. Thank you, including Angled Doom sprites led me to adding a credits file to the .zip as well as listing them in the OP of the thread. I'll go ahead and look into the pk3 a bit more to make sure I'm crediting exactly the right people for the super shotgun sprites.

As for what I did with them, I went with some fairly basic editing for dual usage, and added in the more complicated flash states (whereas vanilla-style super shotgun only needs two flash sprites for firing, the dual shotties end up needing a flash state for all four barrels, and an altflash for all 3 possible ways altfire could pan out, with 2 sprites each). I ended up doing it the way I noticed you'd done it, with the entire gun sprite present in the flash state instead of just the muzzle end floating in midair. I found that made aligning the offsets in Slade MUCH less of a pain since you only have to worry about the horizontal offset, while vertical can just be slapped right on the HUD's bottom line.

As for consistency, it can be hard yeah. Since in this case there's only the contrast of one double-barreled shotgun vs. two double-barreled shotguns, does seem like it's reasonably consistent to stick with centered for single and angled for dual.

EDIT: And added the additional credits to JoeyTD and Denis Belmondo to the credit file and OP of the thread.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”