Operation Apollyon v1.7: Anniversary Edition (11/01/21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Re: Operation Apollyon v1.5c: Electric Feel (08/05/20)

Post by Spaceman333 »

LossForWords wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Would the minigun's explosive rounds still cause self-damage to the player?
no, that would be too annoying imo.
Ok, so the minigun's balance would come from the ammo being rare then? - making the weapon something that you gradually stockpile ammo for and only use as a super attack in desperate situations.

Just thinking about these things because the arsenal is already quite diverse, thought it does feature the assault rifle and smg as full auto bullet projectors - which is what the minigun would sort of be - I'm thinking how the minigun would not to completely overshadow those two weapons without having some sort of drawback.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

ammo rarity, windup time and (possibly) reload time.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

LossForWords wrote:ammo rarity, windup time and (possibly) reload time.
Sound good, I like the windup time in particular.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Say, since the missile launcher is named after macross, could you turn it into a split missile launcher?

First shoot a single non-homing rocket that bursts into a large swarm of little homing missiles.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This is really cool! I love the feel of this mod.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I like this mod so much I made an unofficial update for it - version 1.6 UF

>> Download at ModDB <<

• Revolver reworked into a monster hand-cannon. Its inspired by the Blame! manga, namely the GBE (Graviton Beam Emitter). Low ammo, but absurd godlike power (and recoil!).
  • Reworked weapon and ammo spawns, especially rewarding superweapons. All 4 now spawn with the BFG, while nail/HMG ammo can appear in more ways.
  • Kickback on some weapons increased, so they can push targets slightly when they're hit.
  • Most heavier weapons now have recoil that pushes player backward.
  • HEIAP M60 rebalanced greatly. Now more accurate, holds 150 rounds, reworked its damage dealing component, can stunlock enemies.
  • M60 renamed to Siege Machinegun instead of Light Machinegun.
  • Ammo for many weapons has been increased.
  • Stun baton is now Stunkick Baton - whacks away enemies far to give more breathing room.
  • Axe is now lot more deadly and its projectile reflection is even better than before.
  • Also Axe is now renamed to Reflector Edge Axe to make it easy to remember it has that ability.
  • Missile launcher can now hold 8 missiles and fire a salvo of 8 missiles at once.
  • Missiles have much larger explosive radius, but deal less damage.
  • Both missile launcher single fire and salvo fire are now homing - as long as player has line of sight on target.
  • Disabled custom health kits and powerups - they interfere with Custom Doom's player health settings. I also didn't like how they look.
  • Melee weapons and attacks got a sizable range boost.
  • Most weapons are slightly faster to reload.
  • Most lesser weapons to slightly more damage.
  • Shotguns are much beefier and specialized than before.
  • Bunch of other minor tweaks I've forgotten about.
Overall its slightly easier to kill stuff, though the new recoil mechanics and missile blast radius/homing can surprise. The new reworks for some weapons make them (in my opinion) much more fun to switch to and use more often, like the stun baton/axe, homing missile launcher or the GBE super revolver. More emphasis on cool/fast, less on tactical/slow.

I feel now its exactly the way I always wanted it to be, am very satisfied while I played a few playthroughs with this version.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

YEEEEEEEEEES!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Thanks for the update. And think i got some more feedback for some weapons and whatnot!
Spoiler:
And that's about it. Neat update! You're doing real well.
LossForWords

Re: Operation Apollyon v1.6b: Endless Fantasy (02/05/21)

Post by LossForWords »

Sorry for being M.I.A. for so long. I got caught up with some stuff, and forgot to update OA.

Anyways, STUFF THAT CHANGED:
-Incorporated Spaceman333's arsenal changes, with a few tweaks here and there.
-Fixed the Cryothrower's melee shenanigans. That was an accident, The fireworms are a feature, though.
-The Chiappa's primary now fires a double burst and a single barrel shot if you have 2 or 1 shells loaded, respectively.
-The Rocket Launcher's altfire now fires a salvo of rockets regardless of how many you have loaded.
-Buffed the Taser Baton's damage, and fixed a small issue with the swing frames.
-Compiled the health items and powerups into a single, easily removable file. For no particular reason.
-Fixed the Rocket Launcher's explosion sound not playing.
-Fixed the Grenade Launcher's crappy smoke trails.
-The Stealth Rail Cannon can now be reloaded and switched while scoped, for all your quickscoping needs.
-Added a nice lil' M_DOOM texture, for that extra flair.
-Replaced the M60 with the Rotary Siege Cannon. A.K.A, THE GODDAMN MINIGUN. Have fun.
-And any other basic stuff i might've forgotten.

Feel free to shoot any feedback and glitch reports if you got one.

GRAB. GRAB NAO.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Small feedback that i forgot to post earlier:

Holding Reload key in any weapon stops it from bobbing. Putting an A_WeaponReady command in the first frame of the reload state might tackle the issue.

Great update, loving it so far :)
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Holding Reload key in any weapon stops it from bobbing. Putting an A_WeaponReady command in the first frame of the reload state might tackle the issue.
Right, fixed that, and gave the Flamethrower a bit of a buff.
Also, updated the main link, finally.
EDIT: Fixed the weapon bob breaking auto reloading.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

As Dr_Cosmobyte said earlier: YEEEEEEES! :glomp:

Super happy to see a comeback and an update with all those fixes. Gonna play with it as soon as I finish an already existing playthrough I'm doing with the 16 UF version.

The only thing I'd suggest is putting up the weapons list for the first page so that people know what awesome goodies are included in this mod (which are quite significant! - 16 guns!). You can copy paste the one I wrote on the ModDB link (expand the description by click) and plug it into a spoiler in the first post. Thats pretty much the only thing missing there imo.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I don't yet know if this was fixed in the latest update, but the Silenced SMG's casing actors weren't fully deactivating in the previous UF version I'm still on.

I play with IDDT 2x on, so I see all actors on the Automap and by chance noticed that after doing a burst of bullets with said SMG, the casing had visually vanished, but the swathes of actor triangles I had created were still stuck on the map. I think the SMG casing may be missing a 'stop' in the decorate code.

While still finishing up the playthrough I felt like just one weapon function was missing from this mod - an AltFire for the grenade launcher to shoot sticky proximity mines - especially desired for the moments when I know a monster will come out of a closet or a teleport spot, I can place one in advance to blow them up. Making them shootable so I can detonate them with bullets manually would be cool too.

I'll update once I finish and provide more feedback if anything comes up.

Some other personal ideas I had was making the Railgun's projectile go through walls, make the railgun trail emit smoke and have more recoil. Meanwhile making the Autorevolver's projectile even more in-line with the GBE idea (ripper, large projectile radius as an aura to hit more targets even if they're not directly hit, a visual trail of some sort, 50% more damage, bullet goes through walls too, increase knockback to enemies even further). They're a bit extreme changes balance-wise, so I'll probably just implement them to my own private edited version.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

Gave the GL a bit of a rework.
Made the explosions and shrapnel more visible, and added a mine altfire (shorter range, non-sticky, shootable, doesn't eject shrapnel. Kinda experimental, may be subject to change.).
Also, fixed the Rail Cannon reloading with full ammo, and the SMG/Pistol casings not disappearing.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

LossForWords wrote:Gave the GL a bit of a rework.
Made the explosions and shrapnel more visible, and added a mine altfire (shorter range, non-sticky, shootable, doesn't eject shrapnel. Kinda experimental, may be subject to change.).
Also, fixed the Rail Cannon reloading with full ammo, and the SMG/Pistol casings not disappearing.
Super thank you! :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”