Painslayer 2.0.1: A Painkiller-themed weapon mod (upd: 24 Oct 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Painslayer 2.0.1: A Painkiller-themed weapon mod (upd: 24 Oct 2023)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Painslayer is a weapon mod that aims to "demake" weapons from Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell into lovingly hand-painted sprites, while recreating the mechanics as closely as possible.

Winner of a 2021 Cacoward in the Gameplay category!

Painslayer requires GZDoom 4.10 at minimum

LINKS:
* Download a stable release
* Download a freshest repository build (How does this work?)
* Painslayer on The Doom Wiki
* Join my Discord Server

1.1.0 release trailer

1.3.0 Heretic gameplay trailer:

WEAPONS AND FEATURES
Spoiler:
CREDITS
Spoiler:
COPYRIGHTS, PERMISSIONS AND LICENSES
Short summary of the permissions (not equivalent to the full text):
  • Most of the graphics in Painslayer (specifically, weapon and pickup sprites) may NOT be used for any purpose. Sorry.
  • The code used in Painslayer was produced by several authors and can be freely used by anyone for any purpose, provided the authors are credited, the required licenses are applied to the derivative works, and the relevant license and copyright information is kept intact (i.e. all files containing license information shall be copied to derivate works). Most of the code is licensed under GPLv3.
Full information: see on GitHub or in COPYRIGHT.txt
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:28 am, edited 18 times in total.
Linz

Re: [RELEASE] Painslayer 0.8.5: A Painkiller-themed weapon m

Post by Linz »

I am extremely fucking pumped rn
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! I remember playing the original Painkiller a lot back in the days. I am going to give this a shot!

Although it does feel counter-intuitive for a weapon like the Minigun to be bound to the Secondary Fire Mode. :lol:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I approve of this mod! I never played Painkiller but the mod has enough meat to it that it can easily stand on it's own as a fun and suitably visceral new gameplay experience. Who knows, maybe Icarus will review it some day? :)
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Yoooo! Now this is awesome, Painkiller has always existed in a fairly strange space for me where I think the guns are fucking awesome but the levels are boring, but this just perfectly solves that issue!
Jekyll Grim Payne

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Cool! I remember playing the original Painkiller a lot back in the days. I am going to give this a shot!

Although it does feel counter-intuitive for a weapon like the Minigun to be bound to the Secondary Fire Mode. :lol:
To be honest, I've always thought that myself. There are also remnants of data that point to the fact that in an earlier version of Painkiller minigun was actually the primary attack and rocket launcher was secondary. Why was it changed? No idea. But I decided to retain the release-version attack assignment to not mess with the muscle memory of those players who played the original (myself included :D ).
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

This is super cool! I love how smaller enemies get blown back by the shotgun up close, especially how they rotate as they fly away.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I commend your "pain-staking" efforts to recreate the weapons and mechanics in this mod, pun intended. Also, as a minor suggestion to replace the standard Doomguy sprites, you could borrow the model-ripped ones of Daniel from QCDE.
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Carrotear »

This is cacoaward worthy.

I've played this with Meat Grinder enemies and they drop souls when killed. But for Random Deaths and Decorations they don't drop souls. But enemies still get the fun "Physics" Treatment regardless.

Edit 6/18/21: Turns out it was the difficulty options. If you pick the monster mod's difficulty instead of Painslayer's, then souls won't drop.
Last edited by Carrotear on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Here's a glitch I found

Loading a game while in Demon Mode keeps it's overlay

Thus allowing you to play with a black and white filter 24/7 ;3

Fixes itself if you go into Demon Mode again and it ends though
Jekyll Grim Payne

Linz wrote:Here's a glitch I found

Loading a game while in Demon Mode keeps it's overlay

Thus allowing you to play with a black and white filter 24/7 ;3

Fixes itself if you go into Demon Mode again and it ends though
This is fixed now, thanks! Please check Freshest repository build in the first post to download the freshed version.
Warden

Post by Warden »

This is so nice, man
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

This is a great mod. Painkiller is an awesome game and you've managed to translate it to Doom without a hitch. Looks awesome, too.

That said, there's still stuff that needs to be ironed out. It could use a visual cue as to how long Gold Cards are active (like it does in Painkiller). I kinda hear the sound effect in the background but it gets drowned out easily. There seems to be an issue with the Soul Keeper card where if if you re-activated it mid level the effect doesn't persist if you save and later load the game. Also, if you load a game while in Demon Morph mode, the screen stays grayscale until you Morph again.

EDIT: Of course I didn't see that last issue was taken care of.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

This is absolutely fantastic, a flawless adaptation of Painkiller into Doom, with some much needed quality of life improvements to boot. This fixes a lot of issues that the original Painkiller had, and somehow the gameplay is not only perfect for Doom, but is polished to a mirror sheen. Picking up souls is snappy and immediate and no longer breaks up the flow, the card system is ingenious and has provided me with a lot of fun experimentation even outside of the main game, and yet I don't feel super overpowered - the weapons are balanced perfectly and all shine in their own special way. That this works with mapsets with custom content is the icing on the cake.

I've spent the past week just trying this mod out with various level packs and I haven't regretted it whatsoever. This is an incredible effort. Feel proud.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: [RELEASE] Painslayer 0.9.0: A Painkiller-themed weapon m

Painslayer 0.9.0 released
Download: https://github.com/jekyllgrim/Painslaye ... /tag/0.9.0

FIXED
  • Fixed players not getting the right weapons and control items upon respawning in multiplayer.
  • Fixed "Auto-attract souls/gold" option not working.
  • HUD will no longer stretch (regardless of HUD settings) and the compass arrow will be positioned at the right place.
  • Fixed active Golden Cards not being drawn in the HUD.
  • Fixed wooden stake debris sprite angle.
  • Fixed Minigun sprite disappearing if getting Demon Mode "preview" (at 64/65 souls) while firing the Minigun.
  • After firing Freezer you will no longer be able to quick-fire Shotgun while having 0 shells.
  • Fixed Freezer ice effect not respecting SPRITEFLIP or FLIPY flags.
  • Fixed some attacks (such as Killer beam, Electrodriver disc secondary bolts, Steps of Thunder card) not providing correct kill credit.
  • Fixed Boltgun/Heater being able to fire Heater bombs if selected while holding AltFire. Now it shares a safety check with the Rocket Launcher where it won't fire if you select it while holding a fire button (this is done to prevent the player from firing explosive projectiles by accident).
  • Fixed Flamethrower affecting invulnerable and dormant monsters.
ADDED
  • Added Allow Demon Mode option to Mod Settings. If disabled, you will never turn into Demon upon collecting souls.
  • Added Allow free starting cards option to Mod Settings. If disabled, you will not receive a few free Tarot Cards when opening the Black Tarot board for the first time in your playthrough.
  • Added background to skill selection menu.
  • Added descriptions for all skills.
  • Added an option to disable automatic Black Tarot Board open at map start.
  • Added obituaries to all weapons.
  • Added looped sounds to doors/platforms/elevators.
  • Added Painkiller mouse cursor.
IMPROVED
  • Split Mod Settings into Controls and Gameplay sections.
  • Rockets no longer uses the same explosion sound as grenades.
  • Reduced the number of continuous function calls in the menus (may improve performance).
KNOWN ISSUES
  • Black Tarot Board may show poor performance on Linux.
  • Black Tarot Board may lead to some hiccups after closing it if it had been opened for a long time before that.
  • Steps of Thunder cards affects area in 2D and will damage flying enemies or enemies on a different elevation than you.
  • Souls may use incorrect dynamic light colors.
  • Bodies killed by electricity may end up producing electric loop sound forever

Return to “Gameplay Mods”