Painslayer is a weapon mod that aims to "demake" weapons from Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell into lovingly hand-painted sprites, while recreating the mechanics as closely as possible.
Winner of a 2021 Cacoward in the Gameplay category!
Painslayer requires GZDoom 4.10..
* Download a stable release
* Download a freshest repository build (How does this work?)
* Painslayer on The Doom Wiki
* Join my Discord Server
1.1.0 release trailer
1.3.0 Heretic gameplay trailer:
Spoiler:WEAPONS AND FEATURES
Painslayer 1.4.0 Changelog
- New option: Keep dead bodies (CVAR: pk_keepbodies). False by default. If enabled, killed enemies will still produce smoke and drop a soul, but the corpse will stay behind instead of disappearing. This will let the Arch-Vile resurrect them. Note, you won't be able to endlessly juggle these corpses with the Killer: after dropping a soul, they will become non-interactive.
Enemies frozen by Freezer and then shattered will not leave dead bodies in any case.
Enemies pinned by stakes/bolts will still be pinned, they will detach and fall on the ground after a delay, then poof.
- New option: Painkiller map start effects (CVAR: pk_startsound). True by default. Plays the map start sound and displays the fade-in effect from the origina Painkiller.
- New function: Quick weapon switch (bound to Q by default). This lets you quickly switch between the current and the previously selected weapons.
- The Boltgun now has more pronounced recoil when firing Heater bombs.
- In-game sounds and music will now pause when the Black Tarot Board is open (only in singleplayer).
- Fixed inventory bar being invisible in the minimal version of the HUD (Heretic).
- Fixed the Freezer causing a VM abort when hitting custom monsters that don't have a Pain state sequence.
- Fixed Grenades being a more common drop from enemies than Minigun bullets (should've been the other way around.)
- Fixed Boltgun the small highlight of the Boltgun scope appearing outside of the gun's sprite when looking around.
- Fixed a possible abort related to the monster compass in the HUD in case a boss enemy's health value was changed to be higher than its default health value. (Can happen with other gameplay mods, such as Corruption Cards.) Note, the healthbar on the HUD still won't update correctly if the monster's spawnhealth value wasn't changed alongside its health value (this is something that should be addressed by the relevant mods, not the HUD code).
- Fixed an issue with loading a map-start quicksave after dying in a level that caused the Tarot slots to be locked while not saving your card choices made at the beginning of said map.
- Fixed the Reset to defaults option not resetting some of the firemodes.
- Map markers that appear when the player picks up a Crystal Ball power-up will now properly move if the relevant item is moved and disappear when the item is picked up.
- A shader will now be applied to your screen when you have the Pentagram power-up, in addition to the horns in the HUD.
- Soul pickups will now emit particles when flying towards the player (as a result of the Soul Catcher silver card or the Auto-attract gold and souls option).
- The numeric indicator for collected gold in the HUD now updates with interpolation rather than instantly, which looks a bit fancier.
- Removed the bad BIGFONT replacement that didn't work in some languages and generally didn't look good.
- Removed awkward whitespace in the option names in the Firemodes options that would look wrong with custom menu fonts.
- When gold pieces pop out of a broken chest, they will wait a few tics before being drawn to you if you stand close rather than instantly flying towards you in a line.
- The Minigun is now set as primary fire mode and the Rocket Launcher as secondary for the slot 4 weapon by default. While this goes against how it was defined in Painkiller, it feels a lot more natural judging by player reports.
Black Tarot Cards
- PAIN / KILLER
Primary: Pain. Blades that spin fast and deal decent damage without pushing enemies back.
Secondary: Killer. The blades block is fired and will bounce back off the nearest enemy or will stick into a wall or obstacle. If you aim at the Killer projectile, your weapon will emit a beam that will pierce and damage all enemies on the way. The Killer projectile can't be lost and will return to you through any obstacle if you press Secondary again or switch weapons.
You can use Killer to juggle enemy corpses before they disappear. If you juggle a corpse several times, it'll drop some gold.
Combo: Hold Primary, then tap Secondary. The rotating blades will be launched forward, dealing a lot of damage to anything they hit, then they'll return to you.
- SHOTGUN / FREEZER
Primary: Shotgun blast. A fast-firing shotgun with decent range.
Secondary: Freezer. Will freeze most enemies (except bosses) in place. Frozen enemies take increased damage, especially from the Shotgun.
Combo: press Secondary, then immediately press Primary. Your secondary attack animation will be quickly cancelled into a shotgun blast.
- STAKEGUN / GRENADE LAUNCHER
Primary: Stake. Fires a wooden stake that deals significant damage and can pin enemies to walls. Flies in an arc. Stakes will catch fire after a few seconds of flight, which will increase their damage.
Secondary: Grenade. Fires a grenade that can bounce off surfaces and deals decent damage.
Combo: fire a grenade, then fire a stake at the grenade. Your stake will pierce the grenade and turn into a make-shift "rocket" that deals tons of damage with large AoE (more than regular rockets or grenades).
- ROCKET LAUNCHER / MINIGUN
Primary: Rockets. Fires a regular rocket.
Secondary: Minigun. A rapid-fire minigun. Its spread increases as you keep firing.
- ELECTRO / DRIVER
Primary: Shurikens. Quickly fire shurikens that can stick into enemies. Shurikens will also explode after a couple of seconds of flight, dealing damage to anything nearby.
Secondary: Electro. Emit a short-range lightning bolt that will arc slightly towards enemies. Good for stunlocking.
Combo: hold Secondary, then tap Primary. Fire the whole disc magazine, charged with electric energy, which will emit lightning bolts at all enemies around itself. Devastating for crowd-control or focusing bosses.
- RIFLE / FLAMETHROWER
Primary: Rifle. Fires in bursts of up to 8 shots. Deals more damage and has smaller spread than the Minigun, but the firerate is noticeably smaller.
Secondary: Flamethrower. Fire slow-moving flames that will pierce enemies and set them on fire, making them burn for a few seconds.
Combo: hold Secondary, then tap Primary. Fire a whole fuel tank that will explode after a short delay, dealing a lot of damage and emitting flames around itself. The tank can be shot with bullets at any moment to blow it up at will.
- BOLTGUN / HEATER
Primary: Bolts. Fire a volley of 5 steel bolts that can pin enemies to walls. The bolts fly in a straight line.
Secondary: Heater bombs. Fire a volley of 10 bombs that bounce off surfaces and deal devastating damage.
Combo: fire heater bombs, then fire bolts at them. While tricky and not always useful, you can create make-shift rockets by impaling bombs with bolts.
Zoom: use 'Zoom' key to use the weapon's scope.
The Black Tarot Board will open automatically at every map start (configurable). Use gold to purchase cards and equip them into slots. Silver cards are effective throughout the level, Golden cards can be activated once per level.
You can equip cards once per level, after which they become locked in their slots. To unlock them, reach next level or pay in gold to unlock them.
Gold can be obtained from secrets, by killing enemies with excessive damage and by juggling enemy corpses. Gold coins also replace Health Bonus and Armor Bonus spawns.
Souls and Demon Mode
There are no medikits or stimpacks in Painslayer.
All enemies drop a soul when killed. This soul will heal you and also increase your soul counter.
When the soul counter reaches 66, you'll turn into a Demon. In Demon Mode you're invincible and you deal devastating damage by pressing Primary Attack. The world is also slightly slowed down.
On Trauma difficulty mode enemies don't leave souls.
Slumber: double ammo from pickups, 25% of damage received, monsters have 50% health
Daydream: x1.2 ammo from pickups, 50% of damage received.
Insomnia (default): standard stats for everything.
Nightmare: 80% of ammo from pickups, monster aggression increased.
Trauma: 60% of ammo from pickups, no cheats, monster aggression increased a lot, monster reaction increased, monsters don't spawn souls when killed.
Spoiler:COPYRIGHTS, PERMISSIONS AND LICENSES
Agent_Ash aka Jekyll Grim Payne: Idea, code, weapon and item sprites
kodi: Beam library
Cherno: Demon Morph shaders
Lewisk3: StatusBarScreen (https://github.com/Lewisk3/StatusBarScreen)
phantombeta, Gutawer: ZForms (https://gitlab.com/Gutawer/gzdoom-zforms)
Nero: Tooltips (https://github.com/Saican/Tooltips/tree/master)
Marisa Kirisame: MK_Matrix
Short summary of the permissions (not equivalent to the full text):
- Most of the graphics in Painslayer (specifically, weapon and pickup sprites) may NOT be used for any purpose. Sorry.
- The code used in Painslayer was produced by several authors and can be freely used by anyone for any purpose, provided the authors are credited, the required licenses are applied to the derivative works, and the relevant license and copyright information is kept intact (i.e. all files containing license information shall be copied to derivate works). Most of the code is licensed under GPLv3.