[Fixed] Things don't drop down to floor

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Anonymous

Things don't drop down to floor

Post by Anonymous »

In Ultimate DOOM E4M7, THING#10 and #11 in sector#32 do not drop down to the floor when the switch on linedef#144 is triggered. They remain suspended in the air. I tried this map on Eternity and the things drop down to the floor.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yuck! this is ugly. Some time ago I discovered something similar in Memento Mori Map05 and forgot about it. Right after the yellow door is an instantly lower floor trigger. It lowers the platform to the north but the monsters on it are falling down. It seems that ZDoom doesn't adjust the z-position of things standing on floors that are moving down too fast. What I don't understand is why they stick in the ceiling...
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ABOUT ZDOOM, BOY? ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY THIS "ETERNITY" CRAP IS BETTER THAN OUR ZDOOM? BOY, YOU BETTER QUIT THAT "ETERNITY" BULLSHIT WITH ME 'FORE I COME UP THERE AND FORCE YOUR MOTHER TO PLEASURE ME

YOU CAN GO TELL THAT QUASAR THAT HIS CONSTANT ATTEMPTS TO COVERTLY PLACE BUGS IN OUR DEAR ZDOOM WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL. I KNOW ALLLLL ABOUT HIS FLYING MONKEY SPIES AND HIS OTHER OPERATIVES LIKE YOU WHO HE SENDS HERE TO GUNK UP OUR FORUMS WITH USELESS CRAP. WE'RE ONTO YOU AND YOUR KIN, BOY... WE'RE ONTO YOU.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Very funny! :? The bugs are definitely there and your attitude isn't helpful (although I
'm sure you don't mean it seriously) BTW, the map works correctly in PrBoom, Legacy, Eternity and vanilla Doom. So the error is definitely with ZDoom! ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Not sure if we really want Strife related bugs, but this may be related to this problem, and/ or relevant to properly supported games.

In Strife, in the central town area, you lower a set of stairs, which give you access to another map - the "Front's" base. If you go into the base, and then return back to the town level, you start the town level at the height the player start was originally at before you lowered the stairs, and immediately drop down to the new lowered floor height.

Whilst I'm on about Strife, I noticed another problem (I think this is what was happening) There was a level where you can teleport to a new map, but then you get stuck because you arrive at the new map surrounded by exit lines. You walk forward and immediately get transported back to the map you came from, you can then repeat this as many times as you like, jumping from map to map but never getting off the landing pads. Does this mean that Strife exit lines are supposed to be single direction activation lines like teleporters?

To find the problem, go to map11 (Borderlands) and find the exit at about x760 y2550. Jump in and you'll get taken to map10 (New Front Base) step off the exit, open the door, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10 :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, thinking about it, single direction exit lines would be quite useful for setting up level transitions in hubs.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Enjay wrote:To find the problem, go to map11 (Borderlands) and find the exit at about x760 y2550. Jump in and you'll get taken to map10 (New Front Base) step off the exit, open the door, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10 :)
... YES? And then what happens?!?
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

Enjay wrote:Hmmm, thinking about it, single direction exit lines would be quite useful for setting up level transitions in hubs.

Code: Select all

script 1 (void)
{
   if(lineside() == LINE_FRONT)
      teleport_newmap(2, 1);
}
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks Cyb. I had a feeling there was a scripty kind of way to do it, but couldn't think what it was.

HotWax wrote:... YES? And then what happens?!?
walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10... :D
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Enjay wrote:Thanks Cyb. I had a feeling there was a scripty kind of way to do it, but couldn't think what it was.

HotWax wrote:... YES? And then what happens?!?
walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10, walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transported back to map10... :D
... Go on... The suspense is killing me!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

HotWax wrote:... Go on... The suspense is killing me!
walk forward and get transported back to map11, walk forward and get transpo....

Gah dammit, I can't be bothered. :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ok, wrt to the original problem, I moved the Demon back abit from (464, -208) to (480, -224) and the things now drop properly. I think the problem is related to how Zdoom handles collision detection.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

They shouldn't drop down at all. They should appear on the ground when the floor instantly lowers. At some time ZDoom changed its monster behavior so that monsters in the air are pulled down by gravity instead of forcing them on the ground (which is a good idea). However, if they are standing on a lowering floor they should go down with it no matter what the speed is. Currently it's doing this only for very slowly moving floors.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

if you're talking about things on instant dropping floors staying in the air for a split second and then dropping, that's been around for quite a while now. I think this dates back to 1.17 at least because I remember it occuring in a few of my older maps which were made for 1.17. Personally I really like that effect as it's more realistic. I mean, if you were standing on a floor and suddenly it was gone you wouldn't suddenly be on the new height of the floor (or whatever was below you), you'd fall down to it. I like it damnit!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Erm, the bug I am talking about keeps the things from dropping i.e. they stay stuck in the air. I don't mind them dropping, I kind of like the effect too. However, I have also seen ammo boxes dropped by the former human zombies stay stuck in the air. This happened on 01fava E1M7 in the red key room during a rather large fire fight. I still think its a sprite collision radius thingy.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”