ZWolf - [Topic abandoned, see new Z-Wolf thread!]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
nick112147

ZWolf - [Topic abandoned, see new Z-Wolf thread!]

Post by nick112147 »

Hey people. Okay so the people at the wolfenstein 3d forums are too high and mighty to accept a gmail or hotmail account. I guess they dont much care, or are too afraid of what my mod could do. Bring it a step further thats what! Okay so I know someone has already converted wolf3d into Zdoom. But it was just classic wolf into zdoom. However a big salute to Afadoomer for creating that, it ispired me alot. Anyway, I splan on usiing more of zdooms features to create a more robust version. No it will use any of the original levels. Some of the more interesting features will draw form ROTT, as the most basic concept is the same.

Here I will have updates etc. Note that I am in college (computer engineering), so progress won't be extraordinarily fast, but not slow either. Anyway, moving on. I will NOT be reading anymore replies to this post, suggestions and questions should be directed to my email (nick112147[at]hotmail.com). PLEASE for the love of god, only email me if you have a suggestion or an intelligent question. If you email me with a question like "I am still not sure what you are making. It is a blahblahblahblah? im confused". I think I explained what it is twice now, so if that isn't enough, just wait it out and see it when it is done, or look at the screenshots when I post them. So just respect that, and we shouldn't have a problem. Just keep up with the updates and screenshot and you will get the idea eventualy I am sure. I will start asking for beta-testers, please do not ask me about being a beta-tester. I will not waste your time with minor updates, unless they are worthy of being posted, but that would make it a major update, not a minor one ;-). Anyway here is a list of 100% for sure features, just so that I am not overwhelmed by emails about features already in progress or in place:
  • 1.Lots of macintosh wolf3d graphics, this includes weapons. Maybe walls, I am not sure yet.

2.Poison gas.

3.Doors that slide on the x and y axis, just like the original.

4.Lots of enemies. I plan on making quite a few types of enemies.

5.Patroling guards, Doom, never had patroling monsters, but wolf3d had patroling guards. This should add to indoor and outdoor scenes.

6. OUTDOOR SCENES! Something the original wolf3d could only cheaply emulate!
That list does not include the benefits already present in the zdoom engine that do not require special scripting etc. If you have a really good suggestion not listed up there, then you can email me! Comments on how everything looks are still welcome in this thread though, just don't expect a fast reply.

UPDATE: In fear of being squashed by iD's lawyers and other over-zealous people I've decided to recompile the source to accept wolf3d.wad instead of doom2.wad. So on the beta and release there WILL be a new executable. Screenshots before the weekend, I promise, if I can figure out how lol.
UPDATE:
Spoiler:
UPDATE: Changed everything on the HUD. Changed the keys. Messed with the ammo definitions to create a new type of ammo, rifle rounds. The rifle round will completely replace the shotgun ammo. The shotgun will not be used here. Currently the two new weapons are the MP40 and the StG-44. Both have very different behaviors. Accuracy and rate of fire are the biggest. The StG acts more like what it is, an assualt RIFLE, very accurate, even on full auto. However the MP40 which uses a pistol round just sprays the room with a slow barrage of bulletes, and thus not very accurate! I am going to finish putting in the rest of the weapons tonight.

UPDATE: Okay all of the weapons are in, I just have to find a suitable looking rocket launcher. The current doom rocket launcher just doesnt look like it is from world war 2. If anyone has something that could remedy that situation drop me an email at nick112147@hotmail.com.
Last edited by nick112147 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:00 am, edited 9 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Why not scale the textures to make them hi-res instead of using them full size? That way you can have them being 64x64 world units in size but have all the "detail" of the 128x128 graphics.
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

That is a greay idea, because the mac walls always looked really nice. By any chance do you have an idea as to how I can change the height of the player view?
Nash

Post by Nash »

So basically this is going to be a "what Wolf3D would have been back then if they had the Doom engine to work with"?
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

Pretty much. But change that would to a "could". Because some of the features of zdoom and ACS would allow it to be allot better. Because there were alot of features iD had planned to implement, but never did because of the constraints of DOS.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

nick112147 wrote:By any chance do you have an idea as to how I can change the height of the player view?
Create a new player class and set it's view height according to what you want

http://208.78.96.242/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

http://208.78.96.242/wiki/Classes:PlayerPawn
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

Thats amaizing, I will get on that right away. Big time thanks you!

[Edit]: Where do I go to edit the DoomPlayer script?

[Edit]: Nevermind I got it, just didnt define my new player class right. All fixed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Okay, so what exactly are you going to do? I can't tell if it'll be an engine (a new source port) or a ZDoom TC like AFA's... Or both?
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

Its like AFA's, I am not touching the zdoom source unless I have too. Even if I do the modifications wouldnt be substantial enough to call it a 'source port'. Most of the coding will be done with ACS, DECORATE etc. I am still having a hard time with the doors. Just to clarify the problem, I am using polyobject sliding doors to make the doors slide on a x and y axis. But the textures are messing up. On one side of the door, the texture is fine, and when the door moves, it looks just fine. On the reverse side, the texture is mirrored. So if the door handle is on the left side on one side, on the other side of the door it is on the right hand side. This looks odd when you open the door from the side with the mirrored texture. If all else fails, email me, and I will send you the wad to see for yourself.

My email:nick112147@hotmail.com
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Are you planning on modifying the gameplay aspect at all, i.e. adding the Mac/SNES/Jaguar weapons, reloading, etc?
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

lol thats a cool avatar dude. You should change your rank to The Commissioner. Anyway, yes I do play on modifying the game play. If you looked in the spoilers thing in my original post (it's okay if you didnt), I plan on adding weapons from the MAC version. Because ZDoom integrates Hexen into Doom, I will be able to add things that iD originaly planned (DOS put a stop to those ideas), and to add some things ROTT had, such as a gas mask etc. While the more complex aspects are NOT a garentee, I will be trying my best to implement them.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Regarding your door texture problem, the only way I can think of right now is to create a separate texture that is mirrored for the other side of the door.

(Or put the two doors into one texture and offset accordingly)
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

Good idea. I added a new patch to the door texture, so that all I have to do is change the offset. But when I try to load zdoom, it doesnt load, the screen stays black, and the light on my computer stops flashing, which means it stopped loading. Whats does that mean? I made sure I added the new patch to the PNAMES lump.
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Uhh... Is this some sorta DoomROTTwolf 3D? I'm confused.
nick112147

Post by nick112147 »

Dude I was fairly clear in the first post. I was just talking about what I plan to do with it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”