Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
CaptainToenail

Re: RoE Monster Pack - Doom 3 monsters in Doom 2

Post by CaptainToenail »

The Hellion looks very good for the Archvile, it only needs to be slightly bigger, nothing that SCALE can't do.
Nah not really, the Doom 3 Vile was the size of an average person, maybe smaller because it's hunched, rather than the original tall, imposing, fast lanky Vile which I prefer (why did they make it so small, slow and cowardly in Doom3?!)

Also, for the D3 Vile's attack, a floorhugger projectile that spawns heaps of flames everywhere and has a limited range of about 1024/2056 map units will be almost spot-on behaviour, and also a summoning attack when it raises its arms
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think the tallness of the Revenant and Arch-Vile in Doom 2 might be explained more by technical limitations than by a desire to make them big. (Same deal with the lost souls.) Squash an arch-vile or a revenant to a Doomguy's height, in pixel, and what do you get? Something quite ugly. Details, necessary to convey their skeletal gauntness, are lost. In support of this hypothesis, I bring that we all know the Revenant's height is much shorter in units than it is in pixel. There's no "scale" attribute for vanilla monsters.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

przndoom wrote:hows the SG heads?, hey why is your name blue 0.0 , and need any blood on your guy :P?
The head you edited was perfect, thanks, and Vegeta finished pasting the head on all the sprites. I'm still being lazy with recoloring them (60-70 sprites recolored 4 or so times), but when it's done, blood around the mouth would really help.

I have a blue name 'cause I got on the TSoZD team for all my help with the R667 Beastiary :).

@Vegeta: I still have sprites from before I recolored the Pistol and Shotgun ZSec variants, I could probably dig up some sprites that don't look quite dead.

@Toenail: The attack's already almost done, but I still can't find good sprites for it. The Heretic and Hexen flame sprites are too small, and look terrible scaled up. Does the attack rip, or does it explode when it hits the player, by the way?
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

Gez wrote:I think the tallness of the Revenant and Arch-Vile in Doom 2 might be explained more by technical limitations than by a desire to make them big. (Same deal with the lost souls.) Squash an arch-vile or a revenant to a Doomguy's height, in pixel, and what do you get? Something quite ugly. Details, necessary to convey their skeletal gauntness, are lost. In support of this hypothesis, I bring that we all know the Revenant's height is much shorter in units than it is in pixel. There's no "scale" attribute for vanilla monsters.

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
przndoom wrote:hows the SG heads?, hey why is your name blue 0.0 , and need any blood on your guy :P?

The head you edited was perfect, thanks, and Vegeta finished pasting the head on all the sprites. I'm still being lazy with recoloring them (60-70 sprites recolored 4 or so times), but when it's done, blood around the mouth would really help.

I have a blue name 'cause I got on the TSoZD team for all my help with the R667 Beastiary :).

@Vegeta: I still have sprites from before I recolored the Pistol and Shotgun ZSec variants, I could probably dig up some sprites that don't look quite dead.
@Toenail: The attack's already almost done, but I still can't find good sprites for it. The Heretic and Hexen flame sprites are too small, and look terrible scaled up. Does the attack rip, or does it explode when it hits the player, by the way?

@gez, ..lol man im extremely sleep depraved after finishing a last minute project for econ (make your own buziness, mine is like black water...under the name of UAC! lol we need an invetion so a high tech chaingun would do it! LOL use the PDA movie for a "wow, he gets an A...it worked :P)

So what your saying scaling isnt good?..oh after re-reading it i get it lol. yeah i think doing X2 mag will make it easier to cram in the crucial details for a doom 2.5 monster. im more worried about how to make a Transparent skin for it and everything eles is "solid"...

@ghastly, NOICE MATE! :cheers:

For the head, Thank you, and the sprite editing, dont worry about the big number just do w/e you want bra! :lol:
Just send a set for the blood, the mouth and boots or just yeah...you can explain when it comes to that point.
and
Very good of you for saving a copy after you did a good edit, it comes in handy :D and i agree with V, IF someone wants to make a kick ass doom
3 2.5 mod , then that will be a good set and for a skin too lol

and Dulle, lol i know the feeling, need any help? whats the prob, having like 21039128481752352 brains is better than 1 lol...

Now, for bruiser, .... i dont know how it attacks! im not there but i need to find out XD cuz its bugging me and youtube isnt so great on the details
and i got half of the sentry bot, need the "face: and better legs...got the sound n stuff lol reminds me R2D2
Last edited by przndoom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

The bruiser attacks more or less like the mancubus, from what I've seen. It also has a melee attack, as well.

Also, more than just saving the set it after the edits, I'm saving different copies after each recolor, in case I mess it up, lol.
Gez

Post by Gez »

przndoom wrote: So what your saying scaling isnt good?..oh after re-reading it i get it lol.
Just to be sure it's clear: I was saying scaling wasn't available to Id Software at the time they made Doom & Doom 2. So they might have oversized monsters out of necessity.
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

yea that's what i meant :P, step by step..(if its a big diff ...if its small and easy to go back its saved :3)

@ghastly the first time i did the imp man i had no idea how to do a sprite edited SET...ill get the death, i don't like the Harvest death but ill edit it to make it like that crawl i need to have a straight back...and its hunched so its hard to work with that...

@Gez yea, they couldn't do free aim either and look at it now! but even though its not a eye candy graphics like halo 3, its much better and funner than H3...every game i play , i get sick of it and then go back to doom every time lol, weird

@ everyone any suggest would be nice.

...its amazing how totally random strangers come together; and work & help one another to make something, and the dream and that "i wish i can play it like this and with this kind of monsters and weapons. ():)
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Play D3 with pm_thirdPerson 1 equipped; the Archvile is slightly taller than a person (or the same size, but I doubt it). You gotta look at proportions between the monsters AND the Doomguy, as well.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Yes, the Vile projects a stream of flame along the ground for about 10 metres, then it stops, the flames will travel through targets so yes it would be a ripper. I thought spawning heaps of flames like the Rictus at each trail section would work? If you send me the attack code I can perhaps see If I can get the flame effect right :)
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

I think the Imp has a kinda big head. Perhaps resizing the body (making it bigger) but not the head could work, or may be resizing the head alone, or just making a new head.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I think I know a way to make the Vile's attack...

Basically, you'd have that stream of flame shooting towards the player. When it reaches you, we can use the original Vile's flame sprite (that appears when the player is targeted).
Bottom line - flames shoot at you, then they rise up "on" you. We would need to find good sprites for the stream of fire, though...
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

a simple video may do the trick, it would be soooo much easier and faster to get this projects if all of us had doom 3

xbox, doesnt have the flexibility to look up things like the PC.....grrrr
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

przndoom wrote:a simple video may do the trick, it would be soooo much easier and faster to get this projects if all of us had doom 3
Heh, I'm the guy coding the monsters, and I don't even have Doom 3. :P

Anywho, the Archvile's flame attack is fairly early in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2HLsxnUP4.

@Toenail: Okay, I'll send you the archvile's wad next time I remember.
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

lol thats impressive!

pretty hard to make something you barely know ( played)

im stuck on the mystery of "where the shotgun shell comes out off"...lol curse you futuristic shotgun and your scientific voodoo!!!!
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

@PrznDoom: lol. I was describing what our Vile's attack could be like.

@Ghastly: Really!? You don't have D3? Ah, well... :(

Return to “Resources”