[1.3 WIP] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [1.2.31] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

Post by wildweasel »

I'm gonna miss the Salt shot, I'll be honest.
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Well gosh, that's a lot of surprising changes planned, dear... I never really had much complaint about multiple ammo management even if when I streamed your mod several months/half a year ago back I kept sticking with one specific thing. (the slugs primarily)

I still haven't made any progress with making a original themesong for the mod and such, and I'm still upset at myself for having gone this long without any meaningful progress. My IRL situation really needs to change for the better somehow, I would like to regain my sense of productivity I had that I lost a few years back.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh dear... Quite devastating to hear that most of shell and rocket variants are going to be removed. I found them all positively helpful depends on what situation i'm in. Like monster closet, tunnel full of baddies and ect. But if that's the right choice to make the mod less cluttery, then i have no complaints. Still i'm so gonna miss those tools of success.
ArkyonVeil

Post by ArkyonVeil »

I'm in a bit of a different opinion, I 100% think the idea for different ammo types with vastly different capabilities to be interesting. But the implementation leaves something to be desired as it's quite a pace breaker. Middle of combat and figuring out which shell is the right one for the job, which on the same weapon goes from "no problem" to "OH GOD KILL THIS SCREEN NOW" and dealing with UI in the meanwhile to be unpleasant.

Perhaps simplicity or a different implementation should be key here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

The addition of the 10 new weapons in 1.3 will hopefully compensate for the future removal of those ammo types. Just gotta see how it all plays out. If anything, some of them could still be salvaged through additional usable items.
grubfisher

Post by grubfisher »

Awww that's a huge bummer. I love all the diverse ammo types.

RIP ammo
Marisa the Magician

Just wanted to leave a reminder that the stable version may have various quirks and small bugs here and there that will definitely be addressed in 1.3, when it's out™. Sadly, the development branch has diverged so much now that backporting fixes is no longer possible. All I can do is ask for people to be patient, and maybe check out the stuff that's in progress if you're curious. It's definitely playable at the moment, save for some placeholder items here and there.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Yeah, it's bad that the different ammo thing will be removed in the future. It was one of the things that attracted me to this mod, because it was not a trivial switch of shooting modes, as in Project brutality. Looks like I'll have to keep staying with version 1.2.21.
Marisa the Magician

I don't see how the removal of bloat is a bad thing, but well, that's just what I think. However, I definitely would not recommend staying on a severely out of date version of the mod.
Marisa the Magician

Well, unfortunately this had to happen. 1.3 will have very noticeable changes to how item collision behaves. Because there are A LOT of cases of maps breaking since they expect vanilla item sizes, I've had to revert their hitboxes to vanilla. Furthermore, this means that items can no longer have blob shadows, as those were calculated based on the actor radius, and now they would simply no longer be the correct size.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Decided to give the dev build a try, have been having a blast so far! The gameplay is a lot smoother with the more standardized ammo and other tweaks you've made, and the new weapons are just amazingly fun :)

Allas, the mod wanted me to post this whoopsie:
https://imgur.com/a/F8lwttp
I've been able to get this error with the Quadravol when used against a specific enemy type of my monster mod. This enemy type can use a shield to provide immunity against damage, but if you deal enough damage the shield will break for a while, stunning the enemy.
As far as I've been able to test, the moment the lingering fire of a Quadravol shot 'breaks' the shield, GZDoom throws above error.
GZDoom version is 4.10. Demolitionist version is 1.3pre r709.

This is the code for the shield in case you require it:

Code: Select all

class DMR_ShieldWall : Actor
{	
	{
		Radius 30; //just a tad wider then a hellknight is
		Height 64; //same height
		Health 75; //125; //the damage the shield can take
		Mass 9999; //don't get pushed around by shots
		PainChance 256;
		+NOBLOOD;
		+SHOOTABLE;
		+NOGRAVITY;
		+NODAMAGETHRUST;
		+NOTELEPORT;
		+DONTRIP;
		+THRUSPECIES;
		Species "DMR_ShieldWall"; //so the shield projectiles can pass through the shield
	}
	States
	{
	Spawn: 
		TNT1 A 1;
		Loop;
	Pain:
		TNT1 A 1 {
			A_PlaySound("shieldwall/pain",1);
		}
		Goto Spawn;
	Death:
		TNT1 A 1 A_DamageMaster(1,"DMR_ShieldBroken"); //on death deal a specific damagetype
		Stop;
 	}
}
And the actor calling it:

Code: Select all

Shield:
		TNT1 A 0 {
			A_SpawnItemEx("DMR_ShieldWall",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_SETMASTER);
		}
		HWAR H 4 A_FaceTarget;
		HWAR HHHHH 4 {
			A_FaceTarget();
			A_SpawnItemEx("DMR_MediumFireballTrail",0,frandom(-1,1),frandom(25,27),0,0,0,0,SXF_SETMASTER);
		}
		HWAR I 8 Bright A_SpawnProjectile("HellWarriorShieldBall", 25, 0, 0);
		TNT1 A 0 {
			A_RemoveChildren(1,RMVF_EVERYTHING);
		}
		Goto See;
Note that besides this issue, I've had no other problems :) I can work around this crash by being more careful with the Quardavol usage when I know these types of enemies may be around.
Marisa the Magician

Sounds like another "actor stops existing the instant it takes damage" issue. I've had to deal with HUNDREDS of these. Alright, let's see what I can do here.

Edit: And done. Just needed another "owner is null" check after the flames deal splash damage (splash damage that ignores the owner, but still, in this very specific corner case, that's still a problem).
ghostarmor1337
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ghostarmor1337 »

Hey I don't know if anyone else have the same problem but the view model of my character and pickups are invisible. I don't know what's causing it.

Edit: If anyone asks I have version 1.2.31.

Edit2: NVM it's fixed, seems like I have set the render mode to hardware accelerated.
Last edited by ghostarmor1337 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marisa the Magician

Re: [1.3 WIP] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

The full migration to IQM is almost complete. I felt the need to get this one out of the way first since it'll simplify my work a lot. The development branch currently takes a lot less space than 1.2.31 while still having more content, which is pretty impressive. Since the format is vastly more advanced, models can have higher vertex and uv mapping precision, smoother animations, and also handle custom normals just fine (so lighting and environment maps won't look "cheap" on them now).

The big thing for the end user, however, is that there will be less memory usage, faster load times, and potentially, all the stuttering some people experienced will be gone as well (or greatly diminished).

It was foolish of me to cling to Unreal's model format, but now, there is a far better option.

... Anyway, once I'm done with this I'll continue working on the remaining weapons. I am working at a bit of a leisurely pace since I basically have to wait for the next GZDoom update to use certain features, but I'll get there.
AvzinElkein

Re: [1.3 WIP] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

Post by AvzinElkein »

Shame you got booted from that Discord server. I suspect the accusation was a falsehood.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”