R.I.P. Vangelis :(

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

R.I.P. Vangelis :(

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Very bad news for the new-age music fans... The big composer of iconic movie scores like 'Chariots of Fire' and 'Blade Runner' passed away a couple of days ago... :(
Vangelis, the Greek composer of Chariots of Fire's legendary electronic theme tune, dies aged 79
  • - Greek media has reported that Vangelis died in a French hospital on Wednesday
    - His huge breakthrough came with the score for Chariots of Fire, a 1981 film which told the story of two British runners in the 1920s, which won four Oscars
    - Vangelis's score received one of the four Academy Awards that the film bagged
    - He started playing piano at age four and never received formal training
Vangelis, the legendary Greece-born electronic composer and musician who was best known for his electronic theme song for Oscar-winning 'Chariots of Fire', has died at the age of 79. According to the Athens News Agency, Vangelis, born Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou, died on Wednesday 18 May, his lawyers' office said, but gave no cause of death.Greek media reported that Vangelis died in a French hospital. The reclusive, mostly self-taught keyboard wizard was a lifelong experimenter, switching from psychedelic rock and synth to ethnic music and jazz. In a career spanning over five decades, Vangelis drew on space exploration, wildlife, futuristic architecture, the New Testament and the 1968 French student riots for inspiration. He played in several bands and solo, but his huge breakthrough came with the score for Chariots Of Fire, a 1981 film that told the story of two British runners in the 1920s.

Vangelis's score received one of the four Academy Awards the film won - but he was fast asleep in London when the Oscars result was announced on March 29, 1982 - his 39th birthday. 'I'd been out late celebrating,' he later told People magazine. His theme for 'Chariots of Fire' beat John Williams' score for the first Indiana Jones film in 1982. It reached the top of the US billboard and was an enduring hit in Britain, where it was used during the London 2012 Olympics medal presentation ceremonies. The signature piece is one of the hardest-to-forget film tunes worldwide - and has also served as the musical background to endless slow-motion parodies. Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and other government officials expressed their condolences Thursday. 'Vangelis Papathanassiou is no longer among us,' Mitsotakis tweeted.

Born on 29 March, 1943, near the city of Volos in central Greece, Vangelis started playing the piano at age 4, although he got no formal training and claimed he never learned to read notes. 'I've never studied music,' he told Greek magazine Periodiko in 1988, in which he also bemoaned the increasing 'exploitation' imposed by studios and the media. 'At one time there was a craziness... now it's a job.' 'You might sell a million records while feeling like a failure. Or you might not sell anything feeling very happy,' he said. The young Vangelis developed an early interest in music and experiments with sounds produced by banging pots and pans or fixing nails, glasses and other objects to the strings of his parents' piano. He absorbed the tones of Greek folk songs and Orthodox Christian choral music, but he had no formal musical training, which he later said had helped save his sense of creativity. After studying painting at the Athens School of Fine Arts, Vangelis joined popular Greek rock group The Forminx. But success was cut short in 1967 by the arrival of a military junta that clamped down on freedom of expression.

As he found his feet away from home, he was attracted by the then-new field of electronic synthesizers which allowed him to create the lush melodic colours that became his trademark sound. Trying to get to England, he found himself stuck in Paris during the 1968 student movement, and joined fellow Greek expatriates Demis Roussos and Lucas Sideras in forming progressive rock group Aphrodite's Child. The group achieved cult status, selling millions of records with hits such as 'Rain and Tears' before disbanding in 1972. Vangelis and Roussos both moved on to successful solo careers. Despite enjoying success in the European 'prog rock' scene of the early 1970s, he was uncomfortable with the expectations on a commercial performing artist and largely retreated to the recording studio he created for himself in London. Relocating to England's capital in 1974, Vangelis created Nemo Studios, the 'sound laboratory' that produced most of his solo albums for over a decade. His work on over a dozen soundtracks included Costa-Gavras' 'Missing', 'Antarctica', 'The Bounty', '1492: Conquest of Paradise', Roman Polanski's 'Bitter Moon' and the Oliver Stone epic 'Alexander'. He also wrote music for theatre and ballet, as well as the anthem of the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

It was there that he wrote the score for 'Chariots of Fire', the story of the triumph of a group of British runners at the 1924 Olympic Games. Unashamedly non-contemporary, its pulsating synthesizer beats and soaring melody made the slow motion opening sequence of a group of athletes running along a beach a model for the way the cinema portrayed sport. Vangelis once said the score, which earned him an Academy Award and topped the charts for weeks, was in part a tribute to his father, who had been a keen amateur runner. But he was also slightly dismissive of the enormous popularity it enjoyed. 'It's only another piece of music,' he told an interviewer.

The success of 'Chariots of Fire' overshadowed his other scores but he wrote the music for a number of major films including 'Missing', directed by his compatriot Costa-Gavras, and Ridley Scott's futuristic thriller 'Blade Runner'. He was a prolific composer over many decades, his work ranging from advertising music and film scores to elaborate symphonic-style compositions and 'Jon and Vangelis', his duo with Jon Anderson, lead singer of the prog rock group Yes. But he remained wary of commercial success and valued his independence over record sales, once telling an interviewer he never saw music as just an entertainment. 'Success is sweet and treacherous,' the lion-maned composer told the Observer newspaper in 2012. 'Instead of being able to move forward freely and do what you really wish, you find yourself stuck and obliged to repeat yourself.' Vangelis readily admitted to the Los Angeles Times in 1986 that 'half of the films I see don't need music. It sounds like something stuffed in.' 'When I saw some footage, I understood that this is the fu[youtube][/youtube]ture. Not a nice future, of course. But this is where we're going,' he said.

Vangelis, who had a minor planet named after him in 1995, had a fascination with space from an early age. 'Each planet sings,' he told the LA Times in 2019. He said he saw parallels with the dystopian world depicted in 'Blade Runner' for which he also wrote a score. In 1980, he contributed music to Carl Sagan's award-winning science documentary Cosmos. He wrote music for NASA's 2001 Mars Odyssey and 2011 Juno Jupiter missions, and a Grammy-nominated album inspired by the Rosetta space probe mission in 2016. In 2018, he composed a piece for the funeral of Stephen Hawking that included the late professor's words, and was broadcast into space by the European Space Agency. Vangelis was a recipient of the Max Steiner film music award, France's Legion d'Honneur, NASA's Public Service Medal and Greece's top honour, the Order of the Phoenix. In later years, Vangelis moved between homes in Paris, London and Athens, carefully guarding his privacy. Little is known of his personal life. 'I don't give interviews, because I have to try to say things that I don't need to say,' he told the LA Times in 2019. 'The only thing I need to do is just to make music.'
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ed-79.html

And here are a few music videos, to remember some of his greatest classic masterpieces:

Farewell, gran maestro... We will never forget you.

So long... :cry:
Enjay

Re: R.I.P. Vangelis :(

Post by Enjay »

Oh wow, that is a loss. The Blade Runner OST was/is amazing. I've listened to it over and over.

When I hear the theme from "Cosmos", it always transports me back to watching Carl Sagan with my dad.

Fun, but utterly irrelevant fact: the beach running scene from Chariots of Fire was filmed where my mate went to university and I've been there many times (it's about 2 hours away from where I live).
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

well that's a damned shame! Vangelis was a master of his craft and I will absolutely miss his presence in the industry.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

That album art to "Spiral" is more symbolic than ever. I put on "Echoes of Antarctica" to mark this somber occasion.

His works have been a constant presence in my life, as my parents were both keenly interested in the wave of New Age music since before I was born. My grandmother introduced me to his more popular work via a compilation album, and I make a point of buying anything of his that I don't recognize at the thrift shops. There's always a surprise. His catalog runs deep, and my collection is nowhere near complete. I suspect I'll still keep finding new-to-me albums for years to come.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Young little Red was infused with Vangelis as my dad liked it (and still does).
And what's not to love. Rows of synthesizers are turned into an orchestra. A Vangelis track is instantly recognizable. That to me is the highest virtue any composer can have - That your sound is recognizable.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The album "Chariots of Fire" was a personal favourite of mine since I was a young toddler. After somewhat 30 years later I watched the actual movie, an' I concluded that most songs don't really fit the movie. One of the tracks - 100 meters - is incredibly eerie and mystic :) absolutely love it!
As for the actual "Chariots of Fire", sometimes it gives me the impression that Vangelis kinda ran out of ideas here and there, but the last 4 minutes get me every time.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

:cry:

It's funny to see that people here remember him primerly as a solo artist. My introduction to Vangelis was when he was part of Aphrodite's Child (together with Demis Roussos and some other blokes), played the above double record extensively during my teenage years . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KCbqhJt16k
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Several hits in collaboration with Jon Anderson too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_and_Vangelis
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Enjay wrote:Several hits in collaboration with Jon Anderson too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_and_Vangelis
Aww, yes... Their collab themes are pure gold, too!

And it's not strange that listening to any of these great songs gives you goosebumps... ():)

Return to “Off-Topic”