Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ELPoder36
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3A Version)

Post by ELPoder36 »

Aaah great! Yes, I started playing your 1.3A version yesterday and I'm still in the first levels. Yes, I love that there are those challenging enemies that complicate us and we have to think about the strategy. (That priest would be great if his bullet is instantaneous, don't you think? That he heals them instantly similar to an Arch-vile castings, waooo haha). The gentleman who heals I really liked! You have done a great job and you will set a precedent in hexen! continue like this. Note: Do you speak Spanish?
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Looks great as usual, I check this thread almost daily to see if there's new stuff!
ELPoder36
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by ELPoder36 »

Exeor wrote:
ELPoder36 wrote:Hello creative genius! I greet you again and I congratulate your project and work again. I wanted to ask you something, in my case I always liked to play with high difficulty, but I understand that a creator must be regulated to please everyone, but they were thinking as something interesting to give it a creative touch and more strategic action and this is to incorporate enemies that have status-altering spells or Buffs / Debuffs. Thetis in the version before his last work had included enemies equivalent to Arch-vile such as the Hierophant that fired when playing a pink curse that slowed us down and diminished the damage. Another example was in the Hexen style an equivalent to the Bishop who was a Priest who healed his own ... How about trying to add enemies that have skills like that to make the game difficult and that one must go through those supports first to win in an enemy zone? would add an interesting touch, don't you think?
Hi ELPoder36!
Yeah, enemies like the Hierophant will appear later in the campaign, I want to make sure almost all WoC enemies from Tethis's addons spawn in some level or dungeons.
I also have plans for all Disciples/Bishops variants in the game, in fact, Priests appear in the Cultist Fortress already. The rest of them have not come out yet because I don't want to overwhelm the player with all the variants at once, new enemies make the player feel like they are progressing in their adventure, that is why I'm taking my time with the remaining monsters :D

Here you can see how the Priest is healing the Disciple:

About the skills, I'm coding new enemies from scratch that bring new strategies without being the typical enemy that only throws a fireball at you, here I coded the Oblivion Knight, an elite version of the Undead Warrior that can heal himself sometimes when he detects you attacked him (the gif is old but most of the code remains the same), so in the end I want to take this opportunity to create more enemies that support others in combat so that you prioritize them first

https://gyazo.com/4ac14ae2b9a428285ddaf77eaf0d1f90
Yes! It is understandable, look what I did as an idea for you, go to my post and I show you how I thought some enemy vileattack curses towards the player and how I made the priest heal instantly with vileattack and grant shield to others:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1xfzpzr7 ... 0.rar/file
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

ELPoder36 wrote: Yes! It is understandable, look what I did as an idea for you, go to my post and I show you how I thought some enemy vileattack curses towards the player and how I made the priest heal instantly with vileattack and grant shield to others:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1xfzpzr7 ... 0.rar/file
This can be really useful for a new bishop variant made from scratch later in the campaign (since I don't want to change the code of the original Tethis monsters). Thanks! :wink:
I think I said this in the past, but if someone wants to contribute to my campaign by doing some levels (caves, castles, overworld areas) I will be happy to include them in my mod :D
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

I have zero useable talent but please contact this youtube guy and ask him to include his remixes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG8rgugo-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZaXaE ... df&index=5
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Still watching this thread daily, any new stuff to show? :)
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Nightgaunt wrote:Still watching this thread daily, any new stuff to show? :)
I have not made much progress these weeks although I have been improving the mod experience for the player, adding diverses textures in the caves and changing some scripts slightly in many old maps :wink:
I noticed that the japanese version of Hexen 64 has censored blood, this gave me an idea to add a few drowned Ettins in the swamp to add more realism even if it is a very minor detail.

Wasteland Tunnels is on the way, this underground area connects both sides of the wasteland cliff (WIP)

After getting this key, some platforms will rise forming a small labyrinth while the lava will begin to melt the ground full of bones and you will have to run backwards before it catches you, I'm glad of this small surprise for the player!

https://gyazo.com/c5dbd1c785b79389130067147f9eef4e

In the past I had plans that when you attacked a villager or an allied npc it would hit you, similar to Strife, but this created some problems with your pets attacking them in an infinite battle and giving a bit of a silly result, so I just kept the pain state, even so it gives a feeling that everything feels more alive:

https://gyazo.com/23d7ff11b66f2b546bd54e8726e1a810

I'd like to give some kind of release date, but I'm really working very slowly on this sadly, although z0k is helping me by creating some new maps to speed things up, remember that if you want to contribute with a level I will be happy to add it to my campaign mentioning you in the credits :D
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Cool stuff, take your time!
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the Banishment Device is no longer replaced, I prefer to have it as an unused item in the WoC code (I think that in WoC Hexen there was no way to get it without the use of the console)
This artifact is called Fireball Device now but its function remains the same as in 1.3A where it casts a powerful fireball that scales with your level, it hits like a truck on bosses so there is a good reason why this spell is worth 3 golden tokens in the witch shop :wink:

Colerx

Post by Colerx »

Keep on the good work Exeor!
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Today I have been working in the underground section that you will see after exploring the Wasteland, this area connects both sides of the cliff, so it makes sense that the cave is full of waterfalls and stalactites with dripping water, because you are geographically under the huge lake. It took me several hours but I really enjoyed designing this room!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I used a torch here, in case you want to see the entire room better :wink:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Very beautiful!!!

And Merry Christmas Exeor!!
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Nightgaunt wrote:Very beautiful!!!

And Merry Christmas Exeor!!
Thanks Nightgaunt and merry christmas to you too! :wink:

While I can't say an exact date for the new update, I am still actively working on the campaign to bring at least two new dungeons and many polished things, in case you are curious, this is all I have so far for the future changelog:
Spoiler:
And finally new screenshots from two different rooms I have been working today, also this is how the guards look like now, because they previously used parts from Strife spites and it never quite convinced me:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Exeor, is there any way to incorporate the upscaled textures with this mod?

I just loaded up Hexen with them and I literally cannot go back it looks so good...
WhamNinjaMolehill

Post by WhamNinjaMolehill »

I've been working on a sort of guide for this mod! Right now, all I have written essentially serves as a "Quest Log" of sorts for each of the "Chapters" currently in the mod. Nevertheless, I figured I'd share my work here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J-x ... Cm7P4/edit

Return to “Levels”