[WIP] Nukage [DUAL-WIELDING!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

[WIP] Nukage [DUAL-WIELDING!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

This is a project I've been working on sporadically since about 2018 - Nukage is intended to be a TC, with unique weapons, enemies, levels, textures, and gameplay mechanics. The general premise is that the seemingly-textbook morally ambiguous megacorp Summerfield Development's research space station, the ORS-1, is being overrun with alien soldiers hellbent on finding a mysterious machine that the company has been conducting clandestine experiments with; your employer considers maintaining possession of the device a priority of paramount importance, and has dispatched you to the station to drive the alien menace off by any means necessary. In your mission to re-establish control of the station, however, you may find out there's more to this machine - and the aliens' connection to it - then even Summerfield is willing to admit. Of course, uncovering inter-department conspiracies, sorting out company politics, and turning humanity's understanding of the nature of reality upside down isn't what you're here; you're just here to clean up Summerfield's mess - it is, after all, why they call you...the Problem Solver.

Newest video:

Older videos:
Spoiler:
Concept sketches for Research & Destroy, Nukage's sequel. Technically, Nukage is actually a prequel, but whatever. Also, other sketch thread containing Nukage's level plans.

An introduction to Summerfield Development, the eponymous megacorp (credit goes to Adrian Malacoda for the intro):
Spoiler:
Here's what you can expect in regards to the basics of Nukage:
Spoiler:
Newest screenshots:
Spoiler:
Old screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credit goes to Jimmy for the new wall textures and to FuzzballFox for the door track textures, which I've abused terribly.

A number of the textures and sprites are temporary; the hope is for the final version won't need any assets from any existing IWAD. I'll expand on this post as I make more progress.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Nukage

Post by Captain J »

As always, you make a lot of weapon sprites and check out those concept arts! And the map quality is brilliant too. I will look forward to it!
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] Nukage

Post by TheRailgunner »

Captain J wrote:As always, you make a lot of weapon sprites and check out those concept arts! And the map quality is brilliant too. I will look forward to it!
Honestly, as far as the mapping is concerned, it's an ongoing learning exercise - this is fairly new for me, and I'm probably gonna have to go back and redo a lot of parts as I learn more about mapping (for example, once I start experimenting with sloped floors and ceilings, I'll probably redo ALL of the station's corridors).

In the meantime, minor progress:

Credit goes to Jimmy for fonts used for the messages.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] Nukage [CRATES!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ah, yes, the cool, refreshing taste of PROGRESS:
Spoiler:
Trying to make the most out of these Jimmy textures.

Basically, new doors, screens, crates, and switches; the ceiling textures are all fucked, though - I'm gonna have to make large versions of them and work some texture magic to align it all. Still, what OG first-person shooter doesn't have an absurd preponderance of crates?
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] Nukage [DUAL-WIELDING!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, this is a thing. Note that the weapons use ammo, but continue to fire after running out.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] Nukage [ALIEN GRAFFITI! SCORCHES!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, some more progress after a few weeks - mainly, wanted to make the first map look more damaged. Considering that the final version will essentially be nearly entirely under the control of alien invaders, I felt like it didn't look enough like a warzone that the Esh'vaal (the aliens in question) were trying to claim. Some are in some sort of paint (or possibly blood), but one is definitely etched into the wall. Also, weapon impacts.

Dynamo

Re: [WIP] Nukage [DUAL-WIELDING!]

Post by Dynamo »

Looks interesting but IMO it's all way too grey, to the point of feeling almost monochrome outside of the computer screens. You should try to break up the monotony using different textures. I recall Equinox from many years ago did a good job of having mostly grey techbases which still presented a fairly interesting color scheme and texture combination.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”