Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Aug 25 2018]

Post by wildweasel »

TheOxingey wrote:i dont know how to post posts, please help me :cry: :cry: :cry:
You seem to have figured it out already. :shrug:
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Don't "bump," "revive," or "necro" old topics. The rule of thumb is about 30 days, or 1 month. Uselessly bumping old topics will get you yelled at, especially if it's a very old Projects thread. If you're going to post in an old thread, you should have a very good reason for doing so, for example asking questions about how an old mod works. We do have a couple of useful threads to stop pointless bumping; ask here if a download link is broken, or read this thread if a mod doesn't seem to run correctly. If your bump consists solely of "So, any updates?", there will be hell to pay.
So I cannot post with my opinions about mod i like because no-one reply to it for more than month?
like Winter fury?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

As long as the post is useful in some way, i.e. asks important questions that are actually helpful for other folks, or gives constructive (and well-worded) feedback, you're fine.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Rachael wrote:As long as the post is useful in some way, i.e. asks important questions that are actually helpful for other folks, or gives constructive (and well-worded) feedback, you're fine.
I wish to expand on this with a handy "What Is A Not-Useless Bump?" guide.

If your post:
  • Reports a bug with the mod itself
  • Gives detailed feedback
  • Is asking a specific question about the mod or how to use it
  • Offers a minor patch or fix to the mod that isn't worth creating its own project thread for
This is a useful bump.

So a post like this:
Hey, thanks for making Super This Is Totally A Mod 3.0, it really improves my Dooming experience and I especially like how you made the Shotguns fire small packets of potato chips that explode into shaving cream, I felt that was a really nice touch.
Is preferable to a post like this:
hey this is p. cool
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

thanks,
oh boy, i feel pressure now
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Lagi wrote:thanks,
oh boy, i feel pressure now
I mean it's not like anybody ever gets warned for a Useless Bump. :shrug:
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

I posted a thread yesterday that stated it needed moderator approval.

It is still not visible.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Messiah wrote:I posted a thread yesterday that stated it needed moderator approval.

It is still not visible.
There's nothing else by you in the moderator queue besides this post, and I can't find any disapproved posts on the logs that say they were by you.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It's this.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can we please add a rule to not spam the developers with private messages about help with their projects? Most of the PMs I get are of that kind and I made it a strict policy to ignore them completely.

In clear English: If I get a PM about questions better suited for open discussion, I'll just delete them and if said user continues sending me PM's I'll just delete them on sight without ever reading. I am saying this because recently there have been some people who think this is SOP for getting help. But in the end it only creates work that doesn't help the wider community.

I had to put a few users on my 'Foe' list recently because they just wouldn't stop sending me PMs.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

Post by Rachael »

Yes, you are right about that, no one should be PM'ing devs asking for help with projects except in very specific circumstances.
  • If you need help with a project, ask in open chat. Do not pester developers for help. Knowledge benefits all, and the developers tend to be pretty busy anyway. There may be valid reasons to contact a dev privately, but if it really is needed please do this as rarely as possible.
The BMFG

Post by The BMFG »

brutal doom real gore patch? oh god is that actually a thing?. does it really use real gore? (gore from photographs and all)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The BMFG wrote:brutal doom real gore patch? oh god is that actually a thing?. does it really use real gore? (gore from photographs and all)
I am relatively foggy on the details past a certain point, but back in the day, some update for Brutal had stated that it would be including new realistic gore sprites "from photos" - the implication being they were photos of actual corpses, from crime scenes or autopsies or whatever. The community largely decided that was gross and unnecessary and a little disturbing, so the author decided not to include it in the mod after all, though there was certainly word afterwards that there was a patch somewhere to reinstate it.

For obvious reasons, we'd prefer that there be no links to that patch. Because... ewww.
The BMFG

Post by The BMFG »

wildweasel wrote:
The BMFG wrote:brutal doom real gore patch? oh god is that actually a thing?. does it really use real gore? (gore from photographs and all)
I am relatively foggy on the details past a certain point, but back in the day, some update for Brutal had stated that it would be including new realistic gore sprites "from photos" - the implication being they were photos of actual corpses, from crime scenes or autopsies or whatever. The community largely decided that was gross and unnecessary and a little disturbing, so the author decided not to include it in the mod after all, though there was certainly word afterwards that there was a patch somewhere to reinstate it.

For obvious reasons, we'd prefer that there be no links to that patch. Because... ewww.
Thanks for clarifying wildweasel. hope you have a good day

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”