Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just realized that the links in the first post still linked to the old and abandoned sheets, I just corrected it.
MatrixCL
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MatrixCL »

I hadn't checked this site for a while and just noticed 4.5 is released. When I checked if my commits and Dutch translations were in, I noticed one label was missing: SCORE_OTHER, which is for monsters killed by something else than a player in a co-op match. So I added it in the tab "GZDoom Engine Strings" in row 155. Please correct if that's the wrong place. Right now it only has English and Dutch. (German: "Anders"? French: "Autres"? Finnish: "Toisin"? :biggrin:)

Which leads me to another thing. I'll check this site and forum every now and then, but probably won't be a continuously regular user. However, I'm happy to keep on translating here till the end of my days. But then I'd need some notification whenever new translations are required. How does it work with all the other languages? Because most, if not all languages seem to be up-to-date.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'll normally do that shortly before a new release. If you want to check on your own, new texts will always be added at the end of the lists to make finding them easier.
Triple_sSs

Post by Triple_sSs »

Hi again, just stopping by to say that I've been making improvements to the Esperanto translation I started last year! Honestly I was only just beginning to learn the language at that time and it probably wasn't quite up to snuff, but now I'm much more familiar with Esperanto currently and I want to make the game translation better and more refined.
There's a ton of things I've added and improved recently, and it's also been a bit interesting since there's some gaming terms in this port that are a little more difficult to translate, and/or in fact don't have a proper word to begin with and I had to create it myself (which Esperanto lets you do if needed); for example there isn't really an Esperanto word for "frag", and the word frago is already used for strawberry, so I've tried creating a new word which is "ludmurdo" (literally game-murder), and I think that could work pretty well. Plus I've done a few others such as teleportumi (telefrag), mortmaĉo (deathmatch), and celasisto (autoaim, more literally aim-assist).
But yeah, I think the translation should already look a bit more professional now.
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

theleo_ua wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:The \x20 is there so that the parser does not strip the space away. These lines are part of a constructed text, e.g. "You have " + number + " switches left". So what you do in these cases depends on how spacing around numbers is done in Korean. Normally this should be done with placeholder substitution, but these are ACS string literals.
Here is what I got in 4.3.1: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... Cfuu9qTH7y

language=ru, hexdd.wad, hxvisit19, any puzzle switch button

Please tell me if you need full bugreport with XYZ coordinates etc.
Hi again

Tried on 4.5.0 and still the same issue. Should I do some changes in google sheet (to fix this), or this is global gzdoom issue that planned to be fixed by your side later? If global, then maybe we should create bugreport forum topic for this?
Triple_sSs

Post by Triple_sSs »

So it looks like the crosshair types for the Default Crosshair option still haven't been translated yet fyi. Could we at least add the strings for them to the spreadsheet so that translation work can be taken care of first?
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hey, so I decided to look over the RU translation, since I work in localization and have a lot of translation/proofreading/QC experience and I think I could improve things. I'll download the sheet for now and will just start looking through it when I get the chance (like at the weekend). I'm talking proofreading, since a lot of the translations contains various issues (mistranslations, incorrect punctuation, inconsistencies and such).

I'm not sure how to best submit it afterwards. The original post suggests "submitting in parts" but how would I do it best?

I'd also like to confirm if the font supports en dashes and em dashes.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Request access to the sheet so you can paste it in yourself afterward. If you do not have a Google account, send it to me with the changed parts highlighted.
Also make sure you get the correct sheet, not the old retired ones, because if you work off them I wouldn't be able to reintegrate the changes.
Yarn366
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Yarn366 »

I noticed that THUSTR_13 (Level 13: Nukage Processing) and HHUSTR_E5M3 (Quay) were translated into Serbian as 0 and 10, respectively. Those don't look like translations at all!

(I don't play in or even speak Serbian; I'm just letting you know about these errors that I happened upon.)
Triple_sSs

Post by Triple_sSs »

Something else I saw while testing a netgame: There's some strings related to netgames still not added for translation, e.g. "X is the new arbitrator" when the host leaves and another player gets assigned as arbitrator, in places like d_net & d_netinfo and such.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Mind if I make visual changes to the sheet? Unless you’re only using it to quickly glance over cells, a more comfortable font size would be 14.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, feel free to do it. While you are here, can you look into the issue two posts above yours? (The two broken Serbian map names)
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

All done. Those two maps were accidentally renamed by someone else.

Where are the language macros stored now (ex. refl_rus)? I don’t see them in the sheet anymore.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Macros are back. I totally forgot to copy them over.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hello translators, I have added some missing tags for the enemy names from Strife, at the bottom of the "GZDoom Engine Strings" sheet (row 1644 onwards).

These would typically be utilized when players use HP bar mods that draw the the monster's name on the HUD (otherwise, without these, the raw class name of the actor will be printed, which looks odd). Or any other mod that attempts to get a "nice name" out of the actors in the world.

Feel free to fill in the localizations for them. :)

Return to “Developer Blog”