Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Scavver's Paradise A High Difficulty Survival Horror Gameplay Mod

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 4/5/23)

Videos:
(Removed the video links until I can get an updated video released)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Summary:

Scavver's Paradise is a survival horror mod with focus on high difficulty combat, simple but satisfying weaponry, resource scarcity and management, loadout building, and oppressive atmosphere through sound design, gameplay mechanics, and optional storytelling through text logs. The player is pitted in the shoes of an average person trying to survive in post-apocalyptic Earth. You are not a big meaty action hero. You are but a mere mortal, soft and squishy and fighting against insurmountable odds.

Gameplay is slower paced than vanilla, requiring much more thought for things outside the primary loop of shoot the baddies. Equipment load, what weapons to bring, what type of armor you need for the next encounter, how much cover you have, what equipment you can use to your advantage, what enemies are you about to face. A skilled or well equipped player can run in guns ablazing, but doing so is very high risk.

Combat can be pretty frantic and chaotic if you're ill equipped or unprepared for the challenges hell throws at you. You can dodge attacks by jumping left, right, or backwards, but keep in mind the more you carry, the worse your dodge becomes. You also begin to move slower with a higher equipment load, and your jump is reduced as well. Your inventory is limited by how much you can fit in your pockets and backpack. You can still bring more than your equipment limit, but your agility will be so low that you'll need an hour to cross a street. Balancing your equipment load to the encounters you face is just as important as killing the baddies, if not more.

Resources will be hard to come by, as every ammo, medical, and armor spawn has a chance to spawn nothing instead of goodies. Don't be afraid to break out a pipe wrench or fire axe when you can, as every bullet you save is a bullet that can save your life in later levels. Your weapons, however, are heavily damaging by design to make up for this scarcity, and you will be a glass cannon until you can find some good armor. Even a basic 9mm pistol (15-21 damage per shot) is stronger than Doom's starting pistol (5-15 damage per shot.) Enemies, however, also deal large amounts of damage, so make certain you don't get hit in the first place.

The mod has a complex series of many damage types to emulate a semi-realistic approach to how attacks damage you and how your armor defends from those attacks. Submachine guns can do a lot of damage, but are negated quite well by body armor. Ex-military zombies wear combat armor, so you'll need a rifle or armor-piercing handgun/PDW to knock them out effectively. Shotguns are BRUTAL against unarmored targets, and next to useless against anything wearing more than police vests. Ballistic armor provides little protection against fireballs and plasma, but thermal armor is often of poor quality for physical attacks.

Your body is merely human, and taking damage is more than just losing HP. Bullets, knives, and claws can induce bleeding injuries which need bandages. Hellish fireballs and plasma can burn you to a crisp, requiring medical gels to mend or at least painkillers to temporarily relieve pain. Combat is fatiguing, and if you find yourself tired jab yourself with adrenaline. Every affliction has a cure, and many have multiple ways to be treated.

Make sure you read the PDA you start with, as included is an assortment of useful information about gameplay, basic tips, knowledge about your weapons, armor, and equipment, etc. This can really help first time players out since there's more to this than just "shoot the bad guy."

If at any point you feel that the mod is too difficult for you, check out the Difficulty tab in the Scavver's Paradise menu! Damage taken/dealt, resource spawn rates, and Afflictions can be modified at any time.

Most of my testing has been done in singleplayer, though this mod is fully doable in multiplayer as long as you and your partner(s) cooperate and split resources evenly. I recommend you adjust item spawn rates in the options menu if you're playing Coop. Recommended spawn rates have been provided.

Scenario:

It's the year 2208, and demons have been ravaging the planet for most of your life. Some fourteen years ago the UAC had experimented with teleportation technology, and by a freak accident accidentally opened portals to another dimension where horrific monstrosities began invading their research bases on Phobos and Deimos. On the Phobos base there was a lone marine, awaiting his court martial for assaulting his CO, who was destined to fight back against this demonic threat and become the legendary Doom Slayer.

The problem, however, is that he never made it to Earth. At some point during his Martian encounters he perished. The details behind his demise never left the moon bases, and with his death mankind was destined to inevitable extinction. Since then the demons of Hell had located Earth and invaded. What was once a population of 10 billion has since been reduced to a mere few hundred million souls remaining on Earth. Resources are rapidly dwindling as the survivors use up whatever they can find so that they may live to see the next day. Weapons are falling into disrepair, medical goods are rarer and rarer, ammunition is hard to come by. The world itself is being mutated by the presence of demonic activity, and will likely never recover.

You are one of the last humans remaining. You are not a trained soldier, nor are you a hero. You are just human, soft and fragile and longing for normalcy. Your mind is sharp, your reflexes quick, and you're resourceful, but your body is merely mortal. If you want to survive your journeys across Earth you'll have to take things slow, carefully plan out your attacks, and learn how to effectively utilize your dwindling resources.

Gameplay Changes:

=> Enemies are tougher and more varied. Dozens of new monsters with unique sound effects to crank up the difficulty and keep you on your toes. Mind the armor that armed zombies wear, especially the combat grade armor worn by zombified soldiers.
=> Weaponry! 78 different weapons are available for use, ranging from the humble lead pipe, to the reliable 9mm SMG, to the beefy 20mm anti-materiel rifle, and a good variety of energy weapons as well!
=> Magazine-based reload system: Ammunition is stored in magazines. If you reload your handgun prematurely, the remaining bullets in that magazine are lost. Tactical reloads can make several weapons reload quicker as long as you keep one in the chamber.
=> Weight System: Weapons, medical goods, consumables, equipment, and armor all adds weight. The more you carry, the slower you move. Find bigger backpacks if you wanna carry more.
=> Afflictions: Each time you take damage there is a chance to be given a debuff which negatively affects the player. These need to be cured with a wide variety of medical goods. Check your PDA to learn what cures your afflictions. If you do not enjoy the Afflictions system each individual Affliction can be disabled in the Scavver's Paradise Afflctions menu.
=> Complex Damage System: Different attacks deal different types of damage, each having their benefits and drawbacks. Eg: Blunt attacks aren't effective against armor, but can easily stun enemies from the pain induced. BFG weaponry excel against biological targets, but skeletal and mechanical monsters aren't as affected by the destabilizing energies. Large caliber weaponry can pierce armor effectively, but tend to be heavy, cumbersome, and hard to stock ammo for.
=> Varied armors: 19 different types of armor, each with different stats and uses, ranging from a simple jacket with kevlar woven into it to custom made ballistic fire suits to advanced military combat armors. Some armors have special passive functions, such as making stimpacks more effective, or even having an energy shield.
=> Dodging: Press jump while moving left, right, or backwards to perform a brief step dodge to avoid incoming attacks from your foes.
=> Scarcity: Weaponry, ammunition, health supplies, etc. have a chance to be replaced with an empty, unusable version of itself, forcing the player to more intelligently plan out their battles. To make up for this scarcity, health pickups are much more effective, and weapons dish out serious amounts of damage.
=> Varied Medical Equipment: Bandages, various kinds of stimpacks, blood packs, adrenaline shots, pain killers, and more are available to treat your wounds with a variety of effects.
=> Multiple Loadouts: Twelve different loadouts with unique player skins and different weapons and gear that you start with. Check out the Challenge loadouts if you find the mod easy!
=> Ingame Encyclopedia: Each loadout spawns with a PDA filled with helpful information about your weaponry, your gear, and general information about your adversaries, among other bits of handy info.
=> Lore: 64 data logs can be found throughout playthroughs providing details about the world at large, ranging from stories from other survivors to happenings during the beginning of the apocalypse. This lore is entirely optional and does not inherently disrupt the flow of gameplay unless you're willing to sit down and read these logs.
=> Equipment: In place of backpacks, invisibility spheres, and infrared pickups, various bits of equipment are available to help the player out. Temporary bits of equipment include chaingun turrets, packs of sawblade-wielding razor drones, and more, while more permanent upgrades including nanoweave armor to wear under other bits of armor, powered greaves, and reinforced boots are available as well as other types of upgrades.

Known Issues:

=> The player can unload a weapon completely, drop it on the ground, and scrap it for free ammo. To fix this would require I convert every weapon from DECORATE to ZScript, which is an enormous task that I can't be assed into doing. Not right now, at least.
=> Expect weirdness with the AEGIS Powered Assault Armor Suit. I'm not good with ACS scripting, but in my testing it is functional largely as intended.

Recommended Mods:

Droplets) Great looking blood and gore mod.
Immerse) Lovely camera mod that just looks and feels damn nice. Also includes a lean feature that helps players shoot from cover.
DarkDoomZ) If nothing else, grab this so you can use that sweet, sweet flashlight.
Gearbox) A combination of a snazzy weapon wheel for new Doom fans, as well as a weapon selector bar for the Half-Life fans!

Recommended Maps:

If you folks have any recommendations on what would play well with Scavver's Paradise, please feel free to post about it in the comments below! If I agree I'll add 'em to the list.

Dark 7) An old classic. Not too terribly difficult, with just enough resources that you can get by on most playthroughs. Some encounters can be gnarly depending on the random drops and enemy replacements. Its expansion, Dark 7 Mission Pack 1, also plays well, though with both maps resources can be hard to spread evenly in coop.
Ashes 2063) Both it and its addon Dead Man Walking have gameplay-mod friendly versions and work insanely well with Scavver's Paradise, particularly the early parts of DMW. Ammo and health are TIGHT unless you compulsively secret hunt, but enemy encounters very heavily lean towards imps and zombies and not too much else.
Darkstar Low) Nonlinear map where you're on board a star ship that had been invaded by demons. Metroidvania-like backtracking from location to location gives the feel of having a mission to complete, rather than just aimlessly traversing maps for the sake of a gunfight against demons.
Dark Universe: Part 1) Hurt Me Plenty is a fair challenge, but Ultra Violence is an endurance test, requiring a good bit of secret hunting to ensure you've got enough ammo to survive encounters. Last level is insanely difficult and may not be beatable due to a massive hoard to fight off followed by a cyberdemon fight in a large arena FULL of critters. You have been warned.
Dimension of the Boomed) Great amopshere and level design that's very faithful to Quake. Ammunition is easier to come by here than in certain other maps I've played, but encounters are BRUTAL. Possibly not beatable without luck being on your side if played on UV. Recommended you pick one of the elite loadouts (Demolitionist, Exterminator, Huntsman, Veteran) to give you the edge you need. Includes custom monsters based off those in Quake that won't cause any conflicts with Scavver's Paradise.
Flashback to Hell) A fair challenge overall. Maps are fun, well laid out, and have enough familiarity to them that you know what they're based on, yet are fresh enough to feel new. Supplies aren't too hard to come by, and if you're good at hunting for secrets you'll be able to keep a fresh supply of high quality armor for much of the later levels.
Genesis of Descent) A sprawling set of levels, almost Metroidvania-y with how wide the levels are and how they progress. Ammo is relatively generous, though do be sure to focus on melee combat whenever possible, and save your explosives as best as you can. Health, however, is a rarity, and how boned you are will depend on the luck of the dice, as if the health items aren't spawned in your favor you're going to find yourself save scumming. Ends with a fairly difficult cyberdemon boss fight that may not be beatable without cheesing. What helps in this map's favor is the lack of chaingunners, being a Doom 1 map set.
Hellbound) Early levels can be a bit annoying given how you don't find a backpack until map06, but the constant need to scrounge for ammo is great. Map07 is a forced pistol start (You'll start with your chosen loadout's starting gear,) and the next few maps from there are a damn blast, IMO, though be sure to hoard your high caliber ammo and explosives as much as physically possible. Map07 features many high-health monsters and a limited amount of explosives, and map08 has even more high-health monsters, including a spider mastermind that is guarded by two barons of hell. Map15 is the turning point where it goes from a fun, if brutal, romp through infested facilities into an absolute bloodbath. Gets almost slaughterfest-y later on. May not be beatable.
Lost Civilization) Supplies are quite plentiful and often times by the end of map02/into map03 I find I'm flush with ammo. Even when I jack the ammo despawner to 80% despawned and health to 75% I am loaded with supplies. It is very much needed given the HIGH enemy counts. Keep a scoped weapon handy given how wide and massive environments can be, and be prepared for lengthy sessions as certain maps can take upwards of an hour to beat if you're secret hunting and scrounging for resources.
Struggle: Antaresian Legacy) Insanely well designed levels with great action, though this is what you should play if you want to just have fun with the monsters and guns. Ammo, health, and good armor are in PLENTIFUL supply, to the point that by map06 I was spending more time trying to figure out what guns I want to use than I was spending time finding ammo, and you will never have to worry about your armor breaking with how many repair batteries spawn. Despite this abundance, encounters can be difficult with how enemies are used and how the levels are designed.
Neodoom: Gold Edition) NOTE: You will have to make some major modifications to this to remove all of the custom weapons, monsters, and items. I looked into if there were ever any uploads of a mod compatible version of this map set but haven't been able to find anything. Might make an upload myself if I can do so with Daniel's permission. REGARDLESS. The maps are relatively standard in design and may feel a bit dated, but the usage of custom textures alongside themed maps lend this map set to have the feeling of progression, like you're partaking in an adventure through demon infested Earth rather than a set of sprawling maps that aren't very connected environment-wise. Certain encounters can be absolutely brutal, but you're usually stocked with enough supplies and enough room to navigate and avoid damage. Keep an eye out for secrets, as certain encounters absolutely require these secrets (the last fight in Map07 is downright insane without abusing health, damage resistance items, and the secret invulnerability sphere.) Upgrade items will be found in plentiful supply, so this is a good map set if you want to play around with those.
Oblige, enhanced with ObAddon) A random map generator. ObAddon builds off the last build of Oblige and adds TONS of cool shit to it. Maps with ObAddon are surprisingly well detailed, though you'll have to work with the program to make sure you don't get too many or too few supplies. Enemy encounters, being random, are not guaranteed to be fair and work with Scavver's Paradise's style of gameplay.
Obsidian) A fork of ObAddon which has since had its development stopped. Obsidian builds off what ObAddon put on the plate and is offering more. Haven't tested it much just yet.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
CREDITS:

Many of the resources used in the mod are from other sources. Included in the .PK3 file is a credits list that I have done my god damndest to keep up to date. If I've forgotten to add something please let me know!

Special mention to Nash Muhandes for his awesome PDA starter kit mod, without which I'd have to force people to read the unnecessarily long manual that was once included in the .PK3 file.

Many thanks to argv for their wonderful Use to Pickup mod, which has finally been included in my mod. Should immensely help with keeping the player's pace nice and steady.

Also special shoutout to Jarewill for all his ACS script help! Without their help the dodging and weapon limiter systems would have never been able to be implemented.
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:59 am, edited 116 times in total.
Linz

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7 Beta: A Difficult Gameplay Mod

Post by Linz »

Ok but where's the screenshots though
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Congrats on the release! Always good to see survival horror mods. Other than that, it won't work in LZDoom.

Also, the "5mmBoltRifle" has some of my works in there too, specially in the scope. The original edits can be found in Lowtech Remake and Aracnocide, while the original centered sprite was made by chronoteeth.

;)
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Linz wrote:Ok but where's the screenshots though
Done! Completely slipped my mind, thank ya for reminding me mate.

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Other than that, it won't work in LZDoom.

Also, the "5mmBoltRifle" has some of my works in there too, specially in the scope. The original edits can be found in Lowtech Remake and Aracnocide, while the original centered sprite was made by chronoteeth.

;)
I've barely messed with LZDoom myself, having only used it back when I had a low powered Ubuntu laptop. What's the error in question? I'd test it right now but I'm unable to right this minute.

As for the uncredited credits, just got that taken care of, your name's now in the credit list.

EDIT:

Taking a look at how it works with LZDoom, and it looks like it's the PDA that's buggering things up, specifically the lil' tutorial message that optionally can appear if desired from the modder. I removed the offending code and it's fixed the LZDoom crashing without having any affect on gameplay. I'll be sure to upload a patch some time that also includes other things.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.3 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

A new UPDATE is out! Not much in terms of new content, but some quality of life stuff has been added, plus a bit of balancing as well. Please be sure to give me your feedback so I can shape this mod into something worth playing!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 5/1/21)
Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'm not sure how to feel about the pistols. I'm fine with the armor values and such, but I feel like in terms of gameplay you end up just burning through a lot of pistol ammo on basic enemies. Overall I think I'd rather have less ammo in general, but more effective damage so it's more choosing between using guns and melee while saving the rifles and such for bigger enemies. Right now it feels like I'm just swapping through a bunch of different handguns using up all the shots and then deciding to use my blunt pipe because it's more effective. It might be me not using the damage types correctly too, though.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Great! I will test this with LZDoom as soon as i get home!
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:I'm not sure how to feel about the pistols. I'm fine with the armor values and such, but I feel like in terms of gameplay you end up just burning through a lot of pistol ammo on basic enemies. Overall I think I'd rather have less ammo in general, but more effective damage so it's more choosing between using guns and melee while saving the rifles and such for bigger enemies. Right now it feels like I'm just swapping through a bunch of different handguns using up all the shots and then deciding to use my blunt pipe because it's more effective. It might be me not using the damage types correctly too, though.
I tend to do fine with the pistols with my playstyle, though I personally tend to save them for groups of zombies and the occasional imp, myself. I doubt its not you using the damage types incorrectly since small caliber weapons will still fare decently against zombies wearing the ballistic weave jackets and somewhat adequately against the police vests. I'll toy around with the damage values some, first by normalizing the damages themselves to have less variation since it is a bit annoying that a gun can do anywhere between 7 damage and 21 damage, just as an example. If that doesn't change things much I'll play with buffing the pistols up on top of that.

Thank you for the feedback though!
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.4 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

New quick update to fix some pressing things!

Weapon damages have been normalized to have less variation in damage. Overall, guns are more damaging. As an example, the 6.2mm combat rifle used to deal either 15, 20, 25, or 30 damage per shot. Now it deals anywhere between 20 to 30 damage. All ballistic firearms have been affected. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO ZOMBIES. Also includes various fixes.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 5/1/21)
Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah that might actually be it if the damage variance is that high. Having it more set by the caliber would probably help it feel more consistent. I think making the guns a little more visually distinctive might help too, since there's the revolver, then a bunch that look almost the same other than the high capacity one.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

Excellent gameplay mod! The guns feel nice and punchy, the monsters fit well, and overall the mix of resource management and having to cut down zombies with an axe is pretty enjoyable. Only real suggestion I have is maybe an integrated flashlight, but besides that, major props!
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah that might actually be it if the damage variance is that high. Having it more set by the caliber would probably help it feel more consistent. I think making the guns a little more visually distinctive might help too, since there's the revolver, then a bunch that look almost the same other than the high capacity one.
I was going to say that the guns feel distinctive enough to me, but that's probably because I've gotten intimately familiar with them in the 2 months it's taken me to make this mod lol. Not sure how I could go about making them more distinct between one another besides doing up new sprites, but I've tried making sprites from scratch before, it looks awful.
That0neBr075 wrote:Excellent gameplay mod! The guns feel nice and punchy, the monsters fit well, and overall the mix of resource management and having to cut down zombies with an axe is pretty enjoyable. Only real suggestion I have is maybe an integrated flashlight, but besides that, major props!
Thank you, man! I can't say that I've got the technical knowhow to integrate a flashlight into the mod (TRUST ME I'D LOVE TO,) hence why I've thrown in a link to DarkDoomZ since it does come with a fantastic flashlight. Plus the whole darkness thing can be turned off entirely with it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

From the quick run i had, i can honestly say the sound department has a warm blanket on the back. Excellent punchyness for the sounds. But i would need to play it further to discover bugs and anything else. Keep it coming, i am really liking it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Pistols are feeling better now!

I have noticed I've been having trouble dropping stuff though. It's been dropping it on top me so I just pick the weapon right back up again.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

I'm just dropping in to say this is great, but it's even better with the use-to-pickup mod loaded alongside of it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”