Raze officially revealed!

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Some new build engine thing

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Redneckerz wrote: ZcheisseDuke.
That one hurts just from looking at it... :roll:
I never said it was supposed to be clever, haha.
Gez wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:I was told it has atleast a ''Z'' in the name :wink:
Technically wrong.
Spoiler:
My other, valid suggestion (And a respectful parody to another port) was Dukezday.
Which has more similarities to the port it parodies than you initially may think. After all, that port too tries to embrace several games under one banner.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's just one *little* problem with that as well: There's not just Duke.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Since so many ports are supported, i wonder why EGWhaven isn't.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The legal reason: The license is questionable.
The technical reason: All the other ports were already backed by EDuke's engine. EGWhaven is a DOS application running on original Build, as compiled by Ken Silverman. Porting that is a lot more work - not impossible, but we are talking months here to get it working.
Besides, the game flat out sucks. I tried to play it with BuildGDX, I found it close to unplayable.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Graf Zahl wrote:There's just one *little* problem with that as well: There's not just Duke.
Call it GrafBuildZ
Gez

Post by Gez »

Priorities, man. For now the focus is mostly on Duke and Blood. After those two have their kinks worked out enough, the other main Build games (Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, Ion Fury) will come into focus. And after that, perhaps the rest, though only Exhumed is on the roadmap at the moment.
gerolf wrote:Call it GrafBuildZ
It has a much better name, and it doesn't have an upper-case Z, or the words "Graf" or "Build" or "Duke" or "Blood" or "Ken" or German profanities or anything else that has come up in the thread so far.
Last edited by Gez on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I doubt Tekwar or Witchaven are ever going to appear in this port simply due to the legal quagmire alone, nevermind the quality of the games themselves.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

It has a much better name, and it doesn't have an upper-case Z, or the words "Graf" or "Build" or "Duke" or "Blood" or "Ken" or German profanities or anything else that has come up in the thread so far.
So basically, pulling a Zandronum? Sounds like a great idea....
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I doubt Tekwar or Witchaven are ever going to appear in this port simply due to the legal quagmire alone, nevermind the quality of the games themselves.
Never say never, maybe some day a miracle happens and the source's status gets clarified.

But even then, these are games where I'd feel compelled to fix their extreme broken-ness, but then we'd have no faithful port anymore.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Rachael wrote:I doubt Tekwar or Witchaven are ever going to appear in this port simply due to the legal quagmire alone, nevermind the quality of the games themselves.
But even then, these are games where I'd feel compelled to fix their extreme broken-ness, but then we'd have no faithful port anymore.
GDX :p .
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's good enough to check them out and realize how bad they are. :twisted:
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Personally despite its flaws, I enjoyed Witchaven 1 - haven't played 2 yet. The interesting thing about it is that it was based off a D&D campaign, and that's what it feels like really, a dungeon crawler more than a FPS game. Thankfully source ports for it exist these days so no big loss if it isn't supported, but for the skeptics out there if you like quirky old DOS games you may get a kick out of it despite all the bad things you've heard.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

If I remember correctly, map loading in BUILD games needs a custom folder so you can play with custom maps, how will this work here?
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

ZZYZX wrote:Y'all are calling Polymer bad but it actually has correct dynamic light shadows working! smh.
Polymer *looks* good, but once you start to use it, a number of problems crop up. It was never optimised, so you need a ridiculously beefy system to run it, and even then, if you have more than a few lights in a scene - nowhere near enough to properly light a next-gen scene, it really starts to chug. Basically, Polymer is doing the job of Doom 3, but you need an i7 and a high-end graphics card to actually do 1/4 of the job that Doom 3 is capable of. Even with a high-end system, it will grind to a halt if you try to put enough lights in your scene to properly illuminate it.

The materials are all wonky. Getting models to look right is a huge pain in the arse for modellers (not there are any more on Duke4, but that's another story!). Also, because of the lighting problem, if you don't have a dynamic light on the HUD model, all the gloss/spec and normal information disappears and they look like crap.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

lowskill. wrote:Oh you guys, if you like how GZDoom feels and plays, all I'm saying is that you're gonna love this after just a couple of minutes of use ;) .
That's what I'm most excited for! I've always wanted to play most of the build games, but after a few minutes of use I just can't get past the "feel" of the engine. Especially the mouse and mouse look. If this actually looks and feels like GZDoom, I will be able to die happy

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”