Stargate Doom WIP

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GelleSzebasztian
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Stargate Doom WIP

Post by GelleSzebasztian »

Anyone interested in making a Stargate mod/tc for (G)ZDoom together?

UPDATE:
Death glider, Serpent guard, Horus guard, Goa'uld added
Replicators added!

(summon goauld, summon repl, summon repl_ceiling, summon repl_mama)

LATEST VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBi1rX2OpE

As far as I searched, I haven't found any mod, only people starting something and abandoning it. I believe there are fans out there, we should collaborate and conquer the galaxy., and make something good! Many people start and get bored after a while, so in my opinion the best solution would be uniting.

This is not just a project idea, there's a reason why I start this in the projects forum, I am working on something! See the screenshots below:
Spoiler:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/83YRtfFAAMQ[/youtube]

So I started this project in order to make something Stargate related finally for Doom.

I created jaffa soldiers, which are actually modified imps (zscript). I made their sprites from 3d model, their sounds are from the series. I made a... kinda working stargate, and a very basic map. The map is shitty, not really detailed, I just made it to illustrate what kind of thing I imagined.
Also if you are a modder, developer etc. Feel free to use my sprites, or if you already have a stargate project, let's unite or something! There isn't any decent Stargate mod, we can't let this! :D

Hope this thread fits here, as it's a project I'm working on, not just an idea.
I will post updates on the project whenever I find time and mood to continue this. (Momentually I have time)
Also I will continue this project even if no one is willing to join, but I might not be too fast then.

(edit: download link deleted, if you want to play it, download as zip from github)
Github link: https://github.com/szeba99/SGDoom
(only compatible with GZDoom, because of the .obj model and zscript)
Last edited by GelleSzebasztian on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
osjclatchford

Re: Stargate Doom WIP

Post by osjclatchford »

Love this. Excellent work on the Jaffa too. Reminds me of the doom64 enemies as far as how you've made them... However, as much as I want to praise and or contribute to this mod I'll just say that you should expect a c&d order from MGM or whomsoever owns the sg ip these days. They're well known for it. Mind you. The aliens mod made it to my surprise so yeah. Perhaps this might yet make it through...
Valken

Post by Valken »

Looks cool but why are the soldiers so blurry? I don't mind pixelation, but the blurry textures looks weird. Like those smooth selfie filters.
GelleSzebasztian

Valken wrote:Looks cool but why are the soldiers so blurry? I don't mind pixelation, but the blurry textures looks weird. Like those smooth selfie filters.
Hmm... Might be just that ugly option in GZDoom - texture filtering was on during the screenshot. Or I should do something with the images? Here is without any filters:

Any suggestions how should I edit them, what should I change? I can try somehow adding more noise or increasing contrast idk.
osjclatchford wrote:Love this. Excellent work on the Jaffa too. Reminds me of the doom64 enemies as far as how you've made them... However, as much as I want to praise and or contribute to this mod I'll just say that you should expect a c&d order from MGM or whomsoever owns the sg ip these days. They're well known for it. Mind you. The aliens mod made it to my surprise so yeah. Perhaps this might yet make it through...
Thanks. I hope this won't happen. I mean, there are many Stargate mods, for example Carter Addon Pack for Garry's mod, there's a Stargate mod for Star Wars Empire at war, and more. And this would be a totally free and open project. Hmm the only problem can be the music or the sound effects. Those can be replaced though
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Oh man, one of my favorite shows! Took a gander at your Proof of Concept here and I think it certainly has potential. However, I'm not a great modder and mapper myself, and what little I do is generally for my own projects that will probably never get released. However, I suppose when this takes off, I can help out with original music. :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Just took a quick look at the sprite and God, it is really blurry as hell. I gave it a try in GIMP using sharpen/unsharp mask filters. You can see the difference between the original and the edit to the right

GelleSzebasztian

jdredalert wrote:Just took a quick look at the sprite and God, it is really blurry as hell. I gave it a try in GIMP using sharpen/unsharp mask filters. You can see the difference between the original and the edit to the right

*image*
Oh you enlightened me! I felt that something is not alright, but wasn't sure what to do. Now I updated the mod and batch-processed all the sprites with a sharpen filter(using a gimp plugin) + added some new enemies (if you download from the same link from the main post, the changes should be there)
Thanks, I always learn something new.
I added "SerpentGuard", "HorusGuard" and "DeathGlider" enemies now.
Spoiler:
Do they look any better?

Also, I know I should fix their offsets, some are levitating a bit :D But momentually I am too lazy for that
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

They sure does look a lot better! Great job!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you're making the sprites from a 3D model, why not make them bigger and scale them down in game if you feel that blurriness is still an issue?
GelleSzebasztian

Enjay wrote:If you're making the sprites from a 3D model, why not make them bigger and scale them down in game if you feel that blurriness is still an issue?
I actually do scale them down a bit in the game with ZScript xscale yscale. But I think with gimp I solved this blurriness problem. It's quite easy to do.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

GelleSzebasztian wrote:As far as I searched, I haven't found any mod, only people starting something and abandoning it
Well, there was this one: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... m-o/osiris

Though it is quite old and hasn't aged too gracefully.
spoone

Post by spoone »

CeeJay wrote:
GelleSzebasztian wrote:As far as I searched, I haven't found any mod, only people starting something and abandoning it
Well, there was this one: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... m-o/osiris

Though it is quite old and hasn't aged too gracefully.
Really? I still play it every now and then and I think it still holds up rather well.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

This looks interesting, and it is nice to see another stargate-based project after so long, but if I were you, I'd focus on getting some more custom textures added before focusing on sprites, as right now the doom textures IMO just look way too out of place.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Dynamo wrote:This looks interesting, and it is nice to see another stargate-based project after so long, but if I were you, I'd focus on getting some more custom textures added before focusing on sprites, as right now the doom textures IMO just look way too out of place.
I disagree that it looks “way out of place” however it could be a little stylistically closer with some of the assets available. I’m thinking maybe some quake textures and such for the sg-1 bunker and possibly stuff from powerslave for abydos.
GelleSzebasztian

Dynamo wrote:This looks interesting, and it is nice to see another stargate-based project after so long, but if I were you, I'd focus on getting some more custom textures added before focusing on sprites, as right now the doom textures IMO just look way too out of place.
Done! Take a look at the project now, I uploaded again to Google drive. I deleted the abydos-like desert map for now, later I will add a better one. I added new textures from otex and powerslave (though powerslave ones are currently unused)
Try talking to the villagers, as I added some basic strife conversation. I made a map (it's very alpha!) that resembles you more to a stargate-like experience.

This version focuses on being more pleasant aesthetically. Well I made up this weird story, nothing from the show, but it could've happened in the show too I think.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”