CMM DoomRL Classes [0.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

CMM DoomRL Classes [0.3]

Postby Cutmanmike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:26 pm

This mod requires Doom Rogue-like Arsenal 1.1.4 and also a zscript friendly version of GZDoom:

DoomRLA Thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37044
Latest version of GZDoom: https://zdoom.org/downloads

I've been playing a lot of DRLA since discovering it earlier in the year, and I was inspired to make my own classes for it. This is mostly for my own enjoyment/experimentation, but I cleaned them up and made them selectable in the classes menu so anyone can grab the file and play with them. Enjoy!

Mechanoid

The Mechanoid is an advanced class that aims to make any weapon viable in the late game. You gain bonuses from weapons that have Mod Packs applied to them (but do not apply if your weapon is assembled into a new one). Even if you aren't currently using them, your current weapon's damage can be increased by modded weapons in your inventory! Depending on which Mod Pack you use, you get different effects. Agility increases Bullet damage, Technical increases Melee damage, Bulk increases Plasma damage and Power increases Fire damage. The exotic mods have their own unique effects. You also gain a small damage boost depending on how many active mods you have.

Some play style examples: Want to focus on bullet weapons? Give them agility mods to power all of them up! Found a sweet unique plasma weapon and want to make it do ludicrous amount of damage? Use your other 4 slot weapons as batteries for your new toy and give them all bulk mods! Don't really know what you're doing? No problem! Just throw mods on everything, they'll increase your damage anyway!

Finally the Mechanoid gets a Mod Pack scanner, which reveals all Mod Packs on the automap for you. Get hunting!

Nomad

The Nomad is essentially Pistol Start the class. After beating a level your inventory is reset back to pistol only and full health, so don't get too comfortable with your set up. So why is this guy in a mod that focuses on powering up over time? Well the Nomad is a lucky guy. Really lucky. In fact, he gets more and more lucky the more maps he beats (or when your danger level is increased if playing the monster pack). Which means you'll be getting more and more unique goodies the more you play, to help you survive on more difficult maps. Mod Packs also appear a lot more frequently to help you craft some better weapons quickly.

Download

CMM Classes 0.3

Notes

• Untested in multiplayer, try it out at your own risk!
  • These classes use a bit of zscript mostly for easier modding, but also to inject themselves into the game without the need to update tons and tons of DECORATE code.
  • I don't know if I'll make more, but if you have some cool ideas feel free to post them. If a mechanic sparks my imagination I might just do it!
Last edited by Cutmanmike on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Re: CMM DoomRL Classes [0.2]

Postby Redead-ITA » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 am

You might want to replace all references of a_Startsound with a_playsound and remove Chanf_default, because A_Startsound comes from the later versions of gzdoom,
this should infact make it work with gzdoom 4.0.0
this kind of error comes from the fact that you probably used the latest version of gzdoom for testing, as usually the latest version will use the latest version of the zscript library, regardless of what version you are using.
Redead-ITA
I suck at H posing

Postby Captain J » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 am

Very impressive! Glad you made some neat contribution for DoomRL. And Nomad is indeed my guy. :D
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Chunes » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:37 am

This is such a cool mod. I'm in the middle of a Mechanoid run right now and I noticed that as long as you have a nano mod on one of your weapons, you can sometimes fire a weapon you have no ammo for. Not sure if it's intended, but it's fun. :D
Chunes

Postby Cutmanmike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:37 am

Redead-ITA wrote:You might want to replace all references of a_Startsound with a_playsound and remove Chanf_default, because A_Startsound comes from the later versions of gzdoom

Will do!

Chunes wrote:This is such a cool mod. I'm in the middle of a Mechanoid run right now and I noticed that as long as you have a nano mod on one of your weapons, you can sometimes fire a weapon you have no ammo for. Not sure if it's intended, but it's fun. :D

Sloops! It should give you a chance to not consume ammo, but I guess the way I did it allowed for that :mrgreen:
Cutmanmike

Postby Craneo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Wow, this is pretty cool, I am surprized something like this hasn't been made until now, so far I really like the Mechanoid! been playing some ObAddon levels with it, only nitpick I have is the HUD face looks a bit... weird? it kinda is the Marine but with a painted over color changing gradient, other than that, it's a pretty interesting character and I've enjoyed my gameplay with him!

By the way, do you mind if I detail a class idea I had while playing?
Craneo

Discord: Craneo#8693
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Cutmanmike » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:33 am

Craneo wrote:it kinda is the Marine but with a painted over color changing gradient

That's exactly what it is, I didn't want to spend too much time on the graphics and just whipped up whatever was satisfactory for me. You're welcome to offer alternatives :)

Craneo wrote:By the way, do you mind if I detail a class idea I had while playing?

Sure!
Cutmanmike

Postby Redead-ITA » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:40 am

another bug to report, apparantly the nomad will not count the chainsaw as weapon, so when you go to the next map you will start with the chainsaw ALONG the the pistol start, and the chainsaw will not count into the inventory.
Nor he will count worn boots, unless he wears armor.
Redead-ITA
I suck at H posing

Postby Craneo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:29 am

My idea for the new class is this:
Class Name: Pyromaniac
Ability 1 Active: All hitscan weapons will drop flames on the ground that deal flame damage (alongside the pre-existing bullet damage they already have), as long as the player has a certain ammount of health
Ability 2 Passive: If walking on damaging floors, you receive less damage + get a speed boost, so you can walk faster in these harsh eviroments, maybe something else could happen while stepping in liquids, but not sure what could be added too
Skin Type: PostalDude skin from Zandronum maybe? or PSX DoomGuy skin
HUD Face: Not sure at all about this one, maybe FreedoomGuy?
As for the Mechanoid's HUD face, I'd like to try something for it maybe later, not sure if I'll make something good however.
EDIT: how is this for the Mechanoid's face? I used the Hacx stbar sprite thing, so credits to Banjo Software for that.
EDIT 2: alternative version with tweaks, inspired by Doom 64's helmet and Megaman X

Link to both versions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1fq82ln7m0nn ... e.zip?dl=0
Craneo

Discord: Craneo#8693
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Sounds awesome ...
I have a question ..is there ANY mod which makes doom into a REAL roguelite experience? I mean with permadeath and some kind of upgrades after dying ... Maybe even with a mappack specially made for this ...?
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Cutmanmike » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Craneo wrote:how is this for the Mechanoid's face?

Wow I love it! I'll add the alt one to the next build :)
Cutmanmike

Postby SiFi270 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:11 pm

Finishing the level as a Nomad with a Dedicated Backpack seems to carry its effect into the next level, but not the item itself.
SiFi270

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Redead-ITA wrote:another bug to report, apparantly the nomad will not count the chainsaw as weapon, so when you go to the next map you will start with the chainsaw ALONG the the pistol start, and the chainsaw will not count into the inventory.
Nor he will count worn boots, unless he wears armor.

Odd, I can't reproduce these. I tried using GZdoom 4.0.0 too after changing startsound. Are you running any other mods?
Cutmanmike

Postby Redead-ITA » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Odd, I can't reproduce these. I tried using GZdoom 4.0.0 too after changing startsound. Are you running any other mods?

The load order was:
DoomTest
Scythe
DoomRLA
DoomRLAMonsters
This mod
DamnNums 1.0.1

It happend in map01, i have exited while equipping the pistol last i remember i think.
Redead-ITA
I suck at H posing

Postby C-O-O-P-E-R » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:29 am

When playing as a mechanoid, met devil arch-vile, when he fired a fireball that clones the main character, an error occurs (Called fromRLCMMClassesEvents.WorldThingSpawned at DoomRL_CMMClasses_0.2.pk3:zscript/drla_cmm/drla_cmm_misc.txt, line 12) :?
C-O-O-P-E-R

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods