GZDoom 4.8.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Ulukai

Re: GZDoom 4.8.0 released

Post by Ulukai »

"giveall" command is now "give all". Is it a premeditated change? Are there other changes like this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ulukai wrote:"giveall" command is now "give all". Is it a premeditated change? Are there other changes like this?
I don't recall it ever being "giveall"? "Give" was always a command that takes an extra argument. I'm not sure why it would have ever been all one word.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Maybe some mod created an alias "giveall" that somehow stuck around. This never existed as a native CCMD.
Ulukai

Post by Ulukai »

Thanks. I'm sure you're right, I wouldn't have thought of that possibility. I'll check. Thanks again, good job with GZDoom, I really enjoy it.
brick
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by brick »

Thanks for the update. Lots of great new features, I'm looking forward to figuring out the cutscene system, especially since it seems we can finally have an intro before the first map without all the old hacks! It seems the formats it supports for video playback are very specific (unless I misunderstood), are there plans to eventually expand it to include formats like mp4 or avi, or is that still undesirable?

The only problem I'm having is I think related to the separation of pauseinbackground and soundinbackground, the game always pauses now when I alt-tab (I don't think this was default, at least not when soundinbackground was on), is there a game configuration for pauseinbackground in the menus, or must this be set manually in console or config file?
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

brick wrote:Thanks for the update. Lots of great new features, I'm looking forward to figuring out the cutscene system, especially since it seems we can finally have an intro before the first map without all the old hacks! It seems the formats it supports for video playback are very specific (unless I misunderstood), are there plans to eventually expand it to include formats like mp4 or avi, or is that still undesirable?

The only problem I'm having is I think related to the separation of pauseinbackground and soundinbackground, the game always pauses now when I alt-tab (I don't think this was default, at least not when soundinbackground was on), is there a game configuration for pauseinbackground in the menus, or must this be set manually in console or config file?
The cutscene system is really easy actually, it's already documented in several relevant wiki pages.

A basic example (for a intro playing when starting from a new episode):

Code: Select all

episode map01
{
	name = "$TXT_DZE1"
	key = "h"
	intro
	{
		video = "graphics/videos/test.ivf"
		sound = "graphics/videos/test.ogg"
	}
}
What's not easy is the formats. The VP8 video codec can only be used as a raw IVF file, the audio needs to be a separate file. And I've noticed if you try to use a CRF encoded (as referenced in the FFMPEG encode guide link) VP8 it refuses to decode, but a regular "VBR" encoded video works fine.

On top of this, it might be prudent to make sure your videos are 4:3 otherwise the engine zooms them in, causing the extent sides to spill out of the screen and not be displayed. (this is just something I've experienced trying to playback a standard "480p" video as YouTube refers to the resolution as)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

KynikossDragonn wrote: On top of this, it might be prudent to make sure your videos are 4:3 otherwise the engine zooms them in, causing the extent sides to spill out of the screen and not be displayed. (this is just something I've experienced trying to playback a standard "480p" video as YouTube refers to the resolution as)
That shouldn't happen, actually. The default should be the same as for fullscreen images, i.e. either letterbox or pillarbox them if the aspect ratio differs from the screen.
shino1

Post by shino1 »

The cutscene article says that cutscene can be played using "screen job ZScript API" but I cannot actually find any documentation about that. Is this described anywhere, or used in a place where I can read the code and learn from it?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you want some example code about how to define custom cutscenes, you can have a look at Raze where all intermissions have been done with this.
shino1

Post by shino1 »

Gez wrote:The relevant files are zscript/ui/intermission.zs and zscript/engine/screenjob.zs.
Graf Zahl wrote:If you want some example code about how to define custom cutscenes, you can have a look at Raze where all intermissions have been done with this.
Thank you!
Laskow

Post by Laskow »

I know it's too late to post this, but simply I want to say thank you for adding the cutscene system. This feature had been occasionally discussed since a very long time ago and Graf said it's too complicated to add it. So this was an unexpectable gift for me.

Still, supported video formats aren't typical in modern times, though, this is an evolutional feature. And it's also nice the cutscene is able to skip.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Also late to the party, but:
Is ZDoom wiki info about -compatmode still accurate regarding its values? I know about modes 0-6. Are these all of them or was any added for MBF21?
JBro

Post by JBro »

Graf Zahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 am
Highlights:
  • added Raze-style HUD scaling. Not exposed in the menu yet, Set hud_oldscale to 0 and use shift with the screen resize keys to scale the status bar.
  • added the cutscene system from Raze
Nice! Hopefully we get some more HUD features from Raze, like the ability to overlay the statusbar instead of having the whole screen pushed up. Cool update. :D
Graf Zahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 amDiscord RPC presence. Adds new IWADINFO and GAMEINFO keys: DiscordAppId
this should point to your AppId for your game. It will use a default GZDoom one if not found.
What does this mean?
SaturnsRing
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SaturnsRing »

JBro wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 am
Graf Zahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 amDiscord RPC presence. Adds new IWADINFO and GAMEINFO keys: DiscordAppId
this should point to your AppId for your game. It will use a default GZDoom one if not found.
What does this mean?
Discord RPC presence allows Discord to display that you're playing the game on Discord, and the latter two points lets Discord know what the current IWAD you're playing (Doom II, Chex Quest, Snap the Sentinel, etc.) is, so it can display it on your profile there.

On this note, there's no .dlls for Discord in the GZDoom 4.8+ downloads? Meaning Discord isn't going to pick the game up regardless, I tested with my Doom Classic Complete IWAD and the exe didn't show up there despite everything on the Discord end being set up, and no current wads have those two fields yet, AFAIK.
Last edited by SaturnsRing on Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”