scalliano's 667 Shuffle! - IT'S BACK!!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
scalliano

scalliano's 667 Shuffle! - IT'S BACK!!

Post by scalliano »

IT'S BACK!!

Yes, it's another random spawner WAD! This one is meant as a means of playing Doom with some of the monsters/weapons found on the R667 pages (and elsewhere ;)) without the need for mapping or endless "summon" commands and breathing a bit of replay value into those old PWADS. Rather than having the refinement of Snarboo's randomizers ar the OTT lunacy of AEoD, this mod lies somewhere in the middle. Everything featured in this mod has been done in the Doom style. It also randomizes the spawns by class, so a Cyberdemon will never spawn in place of an Imp, or a BFG in place of a shotgun, etc.

The zip file contains 2 files; zmwr.pk3 and zudmwr.pk3

The first, zmwr.pk3, is the main mod and is designed to work with any vanilla/Boom-compatible Doom II wad.

The second, zudmwr.pk3, is a patch to be used with the first and it allows the mod to be played with Doom/Ultimate Doom. It does a couple of things:
- Enables the Super Shotgun, Chaingunner and Megasphere
- Adds the Chaingunner spawns to the Shotgun Guy's roster, with a few balance tweaks.

This mod features custom ammo, so some compromises had to be made. All ammo spawns will occasionally drop these new items and small ammo spawns will also randomly spawn Dreadopp's "medium" ammo pickups for the stock weapons. All zombies, (bar the Dune Warrior) will drop their weapons when killed, along with the occasional extra bit of ammo, and all cybernetic monsters now drop ammo too.

NOTE: The SS Nazi does not have a random spawner. There are 2 reasons for this. He is rarely used outside of megawad secret levels or Wolfenstein conversions, and leaving him alone allows more vanilla/Boom mods with extra custom DEHackED monsters to run correctly with the mod (eg UAC Ultra, NDCP2, etc) as they usually replace him.

Thanks to all the contributors whose work ended up in here.

Any issues, please let me know.

Screenshots:

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?r4o1e32h76oq22d
Requires a development build of (G)ZDoom.
Last edited by scalliano on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 57 times in total.
TheDoomGuy

Re: scalliano's 667 Shuffle!

Post by TheDoomGuy »

This is actually quite useful. Thanks!
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

This is neat, I've never encountered some of these enemies in a wad, so its kind of cool to fight them. The Terminator is incredibly different from how I imagined him! My main criticism is it could possible use some more weapons.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Cheers. I will be adding more stuff to this, so new weapons are not ruled out for future versions, possibly new powerups too. Right now I'm just testing the principle, but I hope to possibly include the likes of the Flamethrower and Repeater, and perhaps the odd melee weapon or two as well.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

I ended up "stealing" your idea and played Momento Mori with this.

I have to say it is alot of fun right now and im liking the fact thats its not completely overhauled and
you end up encountering every bestiary monster, i like how they remain close to the originals.
I did have to admit i was freaked considering one of the first boss monsters i encountered was Moloch so that freaked me out but gives me something to look forward too!

I did encounter one glitch and it exists with the hell warrior. Sometimes when it walks around if you take a shot at it, it will be completely immune to damage as if it held its sheild up. It doesnt though and its when hes in its walking stance and usually after he attacks he will no longer be immune to damage. It doesnt happen often but when it does it gets really obnoxious. Great work though and I cant wait for additions for monster, and weapons in the future!
Recurracy

Post by Recurracy »

So I understand this is another compilation of Realm 667 stuff?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

@Recurracy: For the most part, yes, but not entirely. I just thought it was a snappy title for the thread :P If I can get some other stuff in there, I will, but it's not intended to be another AEoD.

@NovaDragon: That hasn't happened to me yet. I'll look into it.

And, just as a heads-up, I've noticed that using this with Doom 1 seems to play havoc with autosave files i.e. they sometimes crash when you try to load them. Right now I'm still trying to suss out what's causing this. Manual saves appear to be OK, though.

EDIT: Link updated to new version. Nothing added as yet, just a quick fix for a classless actor issue.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I remember a mod called Heirachy Of Chaos which was similar to this one but also added new monsters, but since I think it's no longer updated, nice work on this!
Vader

Post by Vader »

NovaDragon wrote: I did encounter one glitch and it exists with the hell warrior. Sometimes when it walks around if you take a shot at it, it will be completely immune to damage as if it held its sheild up. It doesnt though and its when hes in its walking stance and usually after he attacks he will no longer be immune to damage. It doesnt happen often but when it does it gets really obnoxious.
This is a known issue with this monster, it already had this problem in KDiZD!
The problem is, that once the Hellwarrior raises its shield it gets unshootable, but is still vulnerable to splash damage... if someone happens to hit it with a rocket durung that time and causes the monster to go into the pain state it's possible, that it doesn't uncheck the ivulnerability again. At least I think that's what causes this problem.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Yeah ive seen this problem happen before in another mod as well just cant remember what.
Im sure your idea is prolly right but there must be something else because i didnt have rockets
at the time and im sure none around me were monsters capable of splash damage. Its not too bad its
only killer if your in a skinny halway. if you provoke him into attacking i believe you can hit him again anyhow.

Also you need to change the Bruiser demons graphic to the original monster. As of now it looks like a giant cybruiser
and it looks really strange when it attacks.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Cheers for the bug reports, Nova. I thought I had all the clashing sprite names dealt with, obviously not. I'll sort that out for the next version. which should be uploaded soon.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

OK, new version uploaded. Features a few new weapons and monsters, and the Bruiser Demon has been fixed. Link in first post.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Awsome, gonna redownload now!

No problem either by the way, ill keep an eye out if i notice everything but so far it seems like its all perfect. Gonna give this new version a whirl this weekend as we get blown inside by over 20 inches of snow.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Vader wrote:
NovaDragon wrote: I did encounter one glitch and it exists with the hell warrior. Sometimes when it walks around if you take a shot at it, it will be completely immune to damage as if it held its sheild up. It doesnt though and its when hes in its walking stance and usually after he attacks he will no longer be immune to damage. It doesnt happen often but when it does it gets really obnoxious.
This is a known issue with this monster, it already had this problem in KDiZD!
The problem is, that once the Hellwarrior raises its shield it gets unshootable, but is still vulnerable to splash damage... if someone happens to hit it with a rocket durung that time and causes the monster to go into the pain state it's possible, that it doesn't uncheck the ivulnerability again. At least I think that's what causes this problem.
Didn't TDA already fix this with the decorate modification?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Well, I haven't seen TDA's edit, but here's what I've tried. It's a bit hacky but it seems to work:

The original pain state:

Code: Select all

Pain:
      HWAR J 6 A_Pain 
      HWAR H 0 A_SetInvulnerable
      HWAR HHHHHHH 6 A_FaceTarget 
      HWAR H 0 A_UnSetInvulnerable
      Goto See 
And mine:

Code: Select all

Pain:
      HWAR J 6 A_Pain 
      HWAR H 0 A_SetInvulnerable
      HWAR HHHHHHH 6 A_FaceTarget 
      Goto See 
I did this with the shield missile attack too. I'll include it in the next version, providing it stands up to a bit more scrutiny ;)

Next version should also have a comprehensive list of credits in the readme.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”