Gardevoir Has A Gun: Version 1.4 [06MAR2023] Gardevoir Day Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Gardevoir Has A Gun: Version 1.4 [06MAR2023] Gardevoir Day Update!

Post by kevansevans »

Gardevoir Has A Gun is a gameplay mod where you play as a Gardevoir with a gun. Gardevoir is a pokemon that is effeminate in appearance, yet are some of the most lethal creatures in their universe. How Lethal? Canonically, they ignore gravity with the same effort it takes to breathe, and can create black holes at will. What happens if we gave one a gun?

Download here! (Requires GZDoom 4.10.0 or newer) https://www.dropbox.com/s/28np5smnst7yw ... 4.pk3?dl=0
Github (In-Dev builds): https://github.com/kevansevans/Project-GHAG
1.0 Trailer (old visuals):

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/y9u4Qo1

The concept

- Gardevoir is fucking PISSED, and he has a GUN!
- Health max at 350! This is slightly above a perfectly EV trained Gardevoir.
- Dig your anger up! Collect Rage Essence from fallen enemies to increase your lethality.
- Triumph over the defeat of bigger enemies and absorb their Health Essence.
- Use telekinesis to pull items and activate doors and switches.

Detailed changes and mechanics
Spoiler:
The Arsenal
Spoiler:
Extras
Spoiler:
Download here! (Requires GZDoom 4.10.0 or newer) https://www.dropbox.com/s/28np5smnst7yw ... 4.pk3?dl=0

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by kevansevans on Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 76 times in total.
Linz

Re: [WIP Demo - 16JUL2021] Project GHAG : Gardevoir Has a Gu

Post by Linz »

Ok but where's da screenshots
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Linz wrote:Ok but where's da screenshots
Whoops, added
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Lol. This is insane.
I love it.

I'm looking forward to the possible DLC: Slowbro with a crossbow and Bewear with a steel chair.
Nice work.

edit: A bit more detail now I've played a bit more -
Spoiler:
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

I feel like this mod is speaking to me...
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Been following this one from its beginnings. Now we're getting serious.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Ok this mod is neat and everything but there is an issue.
Where is the hud?
Edit:ok nevermind i found out why, via going to kinsie doomtest map and getting a lot of berserks i get why it is not visible for me, the hud doesn't scale properly and i use a 16:9 on a 1336 by 786 laptop screen.
While i am at it, i would also recommend to make use of also the other side of the screen, for rage and ammunition.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Redead-ITA wrote:Ok this mod is neat and everything but there is an issue.

Where is the hud?
I've had an issue where some people due to their local settings, the hud doesn't show. i don't know which setting it is, but one of them fixes it.

Would appreciate anyone helping me fix this, I have no idea what the root source of this problem is.

EDIT: Okay I see what's going on, thank you for the edit.
RichterBelmont12

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

This Speaks to me. I like it, Maybe I'll future it in Doom December I'll be watching this.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

First bug and hotfix release!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ibni2gofjqud ... 2.pk3?dl=0
Spoiler:
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Very interesting concept, and a premise that appeals a lot to me personally. I have some reservations about the mod's core design.

The lack of a melee weapon and extra ammo usage of the shotgun makes it so that I usually run on empty in early level sets and find myself defenseless.
Perhaps you could add a psychic attack that pushes enemies away, and dealing damage with weapons increases a meter which increases the damage and area of effect of the push? You could use it in a pinch, or save up to clear out a room of all but the toughest enemies.

Having a large health pool is a good way to offset the Anger system which encourages you to take damage, but I found it hard to recover a lot of the health I was losing just to make my weapons more effective.
Could you add a slow health recovery spell, like in the new Shadow Warrior games, that you need to lower your weapon for and also drains Anger slightly, just so players can recover a bit of health on the fly if they can't find enough health pickups.

There is a lot of potential to use Gardevoir's more psychic abilities. Being able to cast a black hole projectile in the vein of Psychic's Dark attack would be awesome. This mod is dying to have a magic spell system.

Are you going to have the Sawblade affected by the Anger meter? If not, then it would make a good starting melee option.

I'm keeping an eye on this to see where this goes, keep up the good work.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Baratus wrote:The lack of a melee weapon and extra ammo usage of the shotgun makes it so that I usually run on empty in early level sets and find myself defenseless.
The guns base stats at 0 percent anger function identically to their vanilla counterparts, the frame timings are exact and weapons deal the same damage. Aside from the pistol which does slightly higher damage and the shotgun with 3 extra pellets and some Y bullet spread. I don't want to make it sound like I'm accusing you of having poor skills at playing the game, but this does sort of beg the question on how you're running low on ammo when anything anger above 0 is meant to make things easier from the default experience. If you could elaborate on how you play doom and or how you approached these buffs, I'd be greatly appreciative of it.
Baratus wrote:This mod is dying to have a magic spell system.
I want to make sure the base gun replacements work and feel great to use before I start working on the psychic attacks, because the larger point of this is you're a gardevoir with guns, not just "A gardevoir". They are planned, and I have a list of stuff I want to add that I think would be fun.
Baratus wrote:Are you going to have the Sawblade affected by the Anger meter?
As soon as I can thing of something viable that keeps it's use as a melee weapon in place.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Hm, okay. My first impression of the mod was playing MAP01 of Hellbound on UV without much understanding of the mod's mechanics. Whether by design, or that I'm not great at scavenging, I found the supply of health and ammo to be rather sparse. I tested it with some easier levelsets including TNT and AV and my experience was different - having consistently high health, armor and anger to steamroll my way through levels. Seems like this mod has rather extreme highs and lows.

Somehow there was one instance where I managed to run out of ammo, due to fighting a lot of Imps, Demons and Hellknights which do not drop ammo. This didn't kill my run and I found more supplies, but I feel like this necessitates a starting melee option - there are levels that are deliberately stingy with health and ammo pickups, or not providing you with armor, which makes gaining Anger very risky and unforgiving, or gimmicky maps that expect you to use only melee - in situations like this, having some sort of melee attack, even if it's almost useless, is better than running around with 0 ammo and no way to fight back, especially if the ammo is on the other side of some monsters. If you want this mod to be gun-focused, at least for the moment, then fair enough, as long as there is some kind of workaround for situations like this.

I disagree with you on the Pistol being the same as Vanilla at 0 Anger - it is noticeably slower and much less accurate. Even if the damage is identical, the weapon is still slightly less effective due to these two factors. And the shotgun having more damage and pellets is offset by expending 2 shells per shot. Perhaps it's on me for trying to preserve health, but I found myself struggling to kill demons at low Anger.

Couple more suggestions - you could increase the range and angle that the Sawblade can attack in by adding invisible short-range projectiles that increase with the Anger level. Also, it would be cool if getting over 100% anger gave the weapons some ridiculous buff, like having the pistol shoot two bullets at once, or slam-firing the shotgun for an insane rate of fire. Since overcharging Anger is a rare occurence, it could give some kind of bonus beyond increasing the base damage or speed of the weapons - or at least some extra visual effects.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Looked into the pistol and shotguns, and you were right about those. Pistol wasn’t firing at vanilla speed, and shotgun was eating an extra shell. This isn’t intended behavior, and will be fixed in the next release.

I’ll mull over everything else you’ve mentioned here, appreciate the feedback.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Description says Gardevoir can make black holes - so will that be a natural psychic attack as a BFG slot replacer or will there be an actual augmented BFG gun too?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”