Legion of Bones [1.05]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SpaceyStrife

Legion of Bones [1.05]

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Welcome to the B O N E Z O N E

Download

Legion of Bones is a monster pack for Doom and Doom II that replaces the cast with skeletal and ghostly counterparts, and they've got a bone to pick with you.

The new monsters are balanced around vanilla weaponry and are different enough from the original versions to spice things up and add a bit of extra challenge without altering the balance of vanilla mapsets too much... unless you play under the new gameplay mode, Double Death. In this mode, monsters start off as vanilla, but ten seconds after death, they will revive on the spot as their undead variant. Undead respawns will stay dead when killed, making this difficulty a bit of a middle ground between Ultra Violence and Nightmare.

Universal Changes
  • New Double Death difficulty as described above. The mechanic does not apply to boss monsters or monsters that don't leave corpses; In these cases, they will always appear as their undead variant.
  • All enemy hitscan attacks are changed to tracers, even for vanilla monsters.
  • Z86's SBrightmaps.pk3 for vanilla monsters and textures are included.
  • As of version 1.03, there is a settings menu for the mod that's accessible through the standard options menu. You can currently adjust the respawn delay from Instant to 20 seconds, as well as adjust the effect of specific monster buffs.
Bestiary
Spoiler:
Changelog
Spoiler:
Resources
You may use the content in this pack, in whole or specific assets, as long as credit is given. Please refer to the CREDITS file in the package for a list of sources and authors. A link back to this mod would be appreciated as well.

Compatibility
This mod is certified to have full or partial compatibility with the following gameplay mods.
NOTE: If you use a gameplay mod with custom difficulty settings, it is recommended to load Legion of Bones after your mod if you want to play on Double Death.

Army of Darkness - Compatible
Champions - Compatible
Combined Arms - Compatible
DoomRL Arsenal - Compatible, though zombies only drop vanilla weaponry
Final Doomer+ - Compatible, includes damage modifiers
Guncaster - Partial; Monsters drop treasure and have damage/pain modifiers but otherwise do not interact with the mechanics, including vanilla monsters on Double Death
High Noon Drifter - Compatible
Legendoom - Compatible, includes monster weaknesses
Lt. Typhon - Compatible
Nashgore - Compatible
Trailblazer - Compatible
Zagemod - Compatible

Feel free to mention any other mods that you've tried with it!

Gameplay Video

Last edited by SpaceyStrife on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Combine_Kegan

Re: Legion of Bones [1.0]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Damn those are some sick ass sprites, I really like the skeleton pinky. The double death mechanic sounds like it's a lot of fun too, I'll need to give this a run with Combined_Arms and see if they play nice.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

This is incredible! I love the sprite work for all the new monsters, they're really fun to fight and feel pretty well-balanced! Great stuff!
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I've found that Trailblazer "works" from a very brief wadsmoosh SIGIL test, but it makes every difficulty from its own list operate under Double Death rules for some reason. Guess that fits the more crazy nature of the mod though.
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChopBlock223 »

That pinky looks sick, also the idea that he randomly alternates between two different paces is actually a pretty devilish idea. I'll have to try this out.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

While I want to get further on with Alfonzone with this setup, I can say so far it seems to work with Combined_Arms really well. The skeleton variants of these monsters look and sound great, and I love the bits of bones flying everywhere as I gun them down. Really my only complaint I have at the moment is the Double Death mode does that Nightmare thing where ammo values are doubled, but because I'm killing zombiemen and shotgunners twice I'm getting flooded with ammo, the option for double death without the doubled ammo value would be nice.

I'll come back after playing more of this, but this is a really great monster mod.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Thanks everyone! I've updated the list with Combined Arms and Trailblazer.

I hadn't considered how the mod would affect gameplay mods with their own difficulty settings. One solution I can think of is to make Double Death a togglable cvar instead of a standard difficulty setting - This would also allow people to play DD with easy or normal spawns too.

EDIT: After testing myself, it appears that LOB's difficulty settings will show up properly if you load it after Trailblazer. You can load it beforehand if Double Death rules are something you want to keep for Trailblazer's difficulty settings.
Last edited by SpaceyStrife on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirb

Post by Squirb »

Played a few maps with Zagemod and enjoyed this. Double Death works as intended. I also quickly tested a regular difficulty and the skeletons were the default enemy. Sprites look nice and the bone splatter on death is a nice touch.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

I tested this with xenoxols's Army of Darkness weapons mod and they go together like peanut butter and jelly

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=49701&hilit=army+o ... ess+simple

Super quick though and I didn't get to check double death though. The difficulty selection was slightly off withe the cursor but it's probably because it uses a custom cursor and font.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mrtaterz »

This is a absolutely lovely set of monsters. Do you mind if I use the Slayer Knight for my Dead Marine Redux mod?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

SpacemanStrife wrote:
I hadn't considered how the mod would affect gameplay mods with their own difficulty settings. One solution I can think of is to make Double Death a togglable cvar instead of a standard difficulty setting - This would also allow people to play DD with easy or normal spawns too.
That'd be excellent, then the player can choose any difficulty setting and then run DD alongside it. Though I'm not sure how it'd be behave with nightmare mode's respawns
OlegGontar

Post by OlegGontar »

These monsters are looking good!

SpacemanStrife, I hope you will add more monsters in the near future!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Broken Bones, Burnt Bones, Blasting Bones... Fantastic and unique monster mod! Again, i really love the Bone version of Vanilla Doom enemies and changes the gameplay nicely, in a challenging way! Brightmaps, Tracer effects and sound effects are very fitting even. Lovely work!
Spoiler: And here's my Feedback pak
And that's about it. Superb and good designing. And the whole Bone genre is just impressive! Looking forward to the update!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is a cool mod. Some of the sprites are excellent (Imp and Pinky in particular are great), others are a bit weaker and just look like two sprite sets grafted together. The Conqueror looks a bit like a certain British heavy metal band's character/logo. Better watch you don't get sued. :lol:

The gameplay mechanic works really well and increases the challenge but in a way that logically seems justified.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”