Death Coin: Co-op lives add-on

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Death Coin: Co-op lives add-on

Postby gaydad420 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 am

ZDoom has a wealth of great gameplay mods, many lending themselves well to co-operative mayhem. But at a certain point I often find myself just running face-first into a wall of enemies and dying repeatedly without thinking, with no negative consequence for playing like I'm on autopilot. The obvious solution here would be to play better, and treat every respawn like it mattered. Instead, I made this.

DEATH COIN

Death Coin is an add-on mod for co-op ZDoom multiplayer, that adds a team-shared live pool that can be replenished with monster kills, a system that I totally did not ripoff from the Guantlet remake. Once you're out of lives, it's game over!

How it works:
[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/5b0u6ye8x/Image1.png[img]
    *Each player is given a coin inventory item at the start of a new game, and a meter is added to the top-right corner of the screen.
    *Killing monsters will fill up the meter, granting an extra coin on completion.
    *Meter gained from kills is based on the monster's max HP. The more coins you have in stock, the longer it takes to fill the meter.
    *Dead players can either revive themselves at the start of the level, or another player can use the coin to revive them at their location.
    *If all players are dead a countdown will begin. If it expires, the map will restart. (Pistol Start and Permadeath options planned for later versions)
    *Compatible with other gameplay mods. Theoretically.

Instructions:
Load after map packs but before other gameplay mods. Designed to work with co-op only, not guaranteed to work with singleplayer. I don't know if Zandronum has kill scripts so it probably won't work there either.

Known Bugs:
    *May not play nice if a player disconnects mid-game

Download:
v0.2(June 18th)
gaydad420

Re: Death Coin: Co-op lives add-on

Postby Somagu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:11 am

Yes! I've been waiting so long for something like this. You're a real hero.
Somagu

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 am

This is awesome :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby whateve » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 am

could this be modified so that each player gets 1 coin / life, and none more are awarded until the next map (to reset back to one each) ?
whateve

Postby Phyne » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 am

I tested this out real quick by running two gzdoom instances, and noticed a couple issues. First, you don't seem to be able to revive the other player at the location he died. Second, if one player finishes the map while the other has died and hasn't respawned, the dead player will be unable to move at the start of the next map.

Would love to see this fleshed out some more.
Phyne

Postby TerminusEst13 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 pm

This is absolutely fantastic and a great little mutator to use. I love Survival mode but was always sad it wasn't a thing in GZDoom, and Survival in Zandronum is fun but being able to earn extra lives really adds a whole extra layer of fun on top of it.

Gaydad420 delivers again. Well done!
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Postby Mini--Joe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Hello, I really wanted to CO-OP Legendoom with this mod, but it seems to crash it every time it runs. Any help?
Mini--Joe

Discord: 184070402220359692
Operating System: Windows 10 ARM

Postby xolso77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:03 pm

I tried using this in Zandronum 3.0, but I found that a lot of features didn't work. I updated (a lot of jankiness involved, but it works I think) the original version with some changes and fixes so it works in Zandronum 3.0:

1. If there are any players that are in the "ghost" state when another player completes the level, they won't be stuck at the start of the next map.
2. Players in the "ghost" state should be invulnerable and can't be seen by monsters. I think it's possible for a monster who saw the player before they died to still see them in their ghost state though, but they can't kill them.
3. You start with 3 coins instead of just 1 at the start of a map. (this can be easily changed in the ACS script)
4. You can cycle through the revive menu now using the "reload" and "alternate fire" buttons. These buttons replace the forward and backward buttons in the original, which don't work with Zandronum ( due to GetPlayerInput() returning 0 when these keys are pressed) If there is some other way to get those original keys to work in Zandronum, please let me know.
5. When all players die and lose all their coins, the map will reset and players will lose all of their weapons and start with the default number of coins. (this also can be changed easily in the script)
6. There were some instances where you get can get stuck in the revive menu, and can't move as a result. I think I fixed this.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/gk7d2l22yx1p5um/deathcoin_0.69.pk3/file
xolso77

Postby LupusHour » Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm

xolso77 wrote:I tried using this in Zandronum 3.0, but I found that a lot of features didn't work. I updated (a lot of jankiness involved, but it works I think) the original version with some changes and fixes so it works in Zandronum 3.0:

I just want to say thank you so much for this! This is the exact mod I have been looking ages for for Zandronum! Time to introduce some buddies to co-op Doom!
LupusHour

Postby retronutcase » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:52 am

Is there any chance this might receive updates/fixes for some of the bugs that exist, like a dead player being unable to move if they aren't revived when the level ends? This honestly is something I've wanted for co-op GZDoom for awhile now since it adds an actual limitation to death in co-op, and my favorite mod isn't Zandronum compatible, so that's not an option.
retronutcase

Return to Gameplay Mods