OSJCLatchford's DooM - Major Crisis

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

OSJCLatchford's DooM - Major Crisis

Postby osjclatchford » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:17 am

A gameplay mod for zdoom inspired by doom3, the doom movie and quake 2.

*DEVELOPMENT TERMINATED*
no further updates or changes will be logged on this project from now on. - Latchford

story
Spoiler:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/91313q98zlj860k/OSJC_MajorCrisis.zip DL!

readme
Spoiler:

screenshots
Spoiler:

m_doom.png
m_doom.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Last edited by osjclatchford on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30 am, edited 27 times in total.
osjclatchford

Re: OSJCLatchford's DooM - Major Crisis

Postby GAA1992 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 am

Just started playing this, amazing sprite work on some weapons. My only nitpick is that the machinegun, if my eyes aren't failing, have black gloves. :)

Other than that, this is super fun!
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. I am the cure.

Postby osjclatchford » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 am

GAA1992 wrote:Just started playing this, amazing sprite work on some weapons. My only nitpick is that the machinegun, if my eyes aren't failing, have black gloves. :)

Other than that, this is super fun!

Thanks! Most sprites are courtesy of the talented eriance... with a few tweaks of my own of course... :wink: Glad it's being enjoyed. I nearly didn't bother sharing this as it's not much to shout about but figured why not in the end. As for the SMG?
Sorry to say this but it seems you should have gone to specsavers! No black gloves in there at all... It's a thumbhole stock like the p90. In fact i don't think you can see the hands at anytime​ during reloading or firing or otherwise...
osjclatchford

Postby GAA1992 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:39 am

Hahahahahaa. Shit. I thought those pixels were some kind of doomguy hand. Now where are my glasses...
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. I am the cure.

Postby osjclatchford » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:57 am

Lols i know what you mean though. Now you've said it i cant unsee it! Never mind... :P
osjclatchford

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Can the shotgun and chaingun guys drop their respective weapons? It takes a while to find a shotgun or chaingun pickup in most WADs.
Jeimuzu73
Mess with the jimbo you get the akimbo

Postby osjclatchford » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Jeimuzu73 wrote:Can the shotgun and chaingun guys drop their respective weapons? It takes a while to find a shotgun or chaingun pickup in most WADs.

in most pwads the shotgun and or chaingun are to be found in the first few maps. shotgun normally on first. this is an intentional balance choice and will remain as it is for now... use the burst-fire on the pistol. its what its there for... :D
osjclatchford

Postby DBThanatos » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 pm

I tried this for a little bit, but I'd suggest (based on personal preference) to ensure the weapons pitch is restored after firing.

Currently, weapons have this vertical recoil (changing pitch) which i agree looks great for making a weapon feel strong. However the pitch is never restored after the weapon has been fired. Changing this IMO makes it look better and it plays better because you don't have to be messing with your mouse aiming after every shot
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Postby chronoteeth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

i will say that a lot of the sounds are unfitting, and the animations are way too off at time
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Deii » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:08 pm

I revised this a few times and I can't help but feel it's too negative, but I'm only doing this because I like the mod - so sorry if I come off as being too harsh at some point.

Spoiler:

I do like the mod, but I think it could use a little bit more love so everyone and not just me can enjoy it even more. :D
Deii

Discord: Deii #0915

Postby Doomenator » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 am

Additionally It is worth noting that the flashlight looks like a parody. To be more precise how it lights.
Spoiler:
Doomenator

Postby osjclatchford » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Just WOW!
I'm gone for a couple of days and this is the response?
What a pinikity, whiney lot you are eh?
Seriously, the level of negativity here astounds me. :shock:
please don't get me wrong, I'm not after gushing tirades of adoration but this is actually incredibly disheartening...

now, I know its not the best mod in the world (nor was it ever intended to be.) but you've nitpicked and torn the bowels out of it for seemingly no other reason than the fact that you could.

it seems to be a common trend where someone releases a mod and then get told "this sprite is wrong" or "this sound is wrong", "this should instead be this" or whatever.

I mean, how can you possibly believe, that for whatever reason, you are the sole authority on what should and should not be in a mod designed and created by someone else?
I understand that you have an opinion, that's great we all do, but that does not make that opinion fact.

look, the real point I'm slowly making here is that every sprite, sound, coding choice and design aspect were chosen intentionally by me to work how I want them to...
this is not a big community project, nor is it a commission for someone else to their standards. I made this mod for personal use but decided to share it with the community. (a choice I'm now regretting somewhat :roll: )
what I don't understand is how you can have the audacity to claim that any of my design choices are wrong or otherwise in error when you have absolutely no idea as to my intended vision?
did you think that a laundry list of complaints regarding (to be honest some rather trivial) aspects of the mod that YOU think should be changed was likely to enthuse me into implementing said changes? If so I can tell you quite simply: NO...

Also it would be nice if people actually bothered to read the additional documentation that comes with the mod. that's why they call them readme files.
doing so would have made it clear to you that this mod is originally designed to work in zdoom 2.8.1. NOT gzdoom or any other engine. this is why the light flares and flashlight function in the manner they do ( know a better way to get a functioning flashlight in the zdoom engine? you let me know)
yes the gl compatible version ditches the flares on the light objects but removing the entire code of the flashlight seemed pointless...

In truth I have absolutely no idea why I've even bothered to explain any of this I really don't know.
and the saddest part is that you probably still don't get what I'm trying to say here and I fear you never will care to...

oh and @doomenator, thanks for the vid :wink:
osjclatchford

Postby DBThanatos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 pm

What are you going on about? nobody is being negative.

You know it's called "feedback" right? Nobody is saying "DO THIS NOW, YOU OWE ME". We took time to try the mod and list what we believe could be done to enhance the mod. We all have preferences, but when you call people "whiney" for posting suggestions or any sort of non-positive thought, you're the one looking whiney here.

It's apparent you are not one to take any sort of criticism. You might as well ask a moderator to lock the thread, since you dont want anybody posting anything that isnt praise.
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Postby osjclatchford » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:58 pm

And thanks for reinforcing my point... :roll:
osjclatchford

Postby DBThanatos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 pm

osjclatchford wrote:oh noes, the negativity!

Oh the irony.

Ok. Im done with you.
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods