[Finished] Quarantine

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Finished] Quarantine

Postby QuadDoomer » Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 am

Hi! This hard time fighting against covid-19 isn't so bad at all: there is enough time to finish some old "dreams", such as Doom mapping. After about two months of hard work (about 14 hours a day), a new mod is out: "Quarantine". Four levels based on astronomical concepts to make UAC bases more "realistic", keeping the old Doom I feeling.

No more talking: let's go 2 it!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2jnxb4q5mv9j2n9/quarant.zip/file

(link up for 14 days)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by QuadDoomer on Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
QuadDoomer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Finished] Quarantine

Postby Rachael » Mon May 04, 2020 7:11 am

QuadDoomer wrote:(link up for 14 days)

Why the time limit?
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby QuadDoomer » Mon May 04, 2020 9:33 am

Because it's a file upload without an account, it's MediaFire's standard.

I'm trying to upload to ftp.gamers.org, but still no luck...
QuadDoomer

Postby Rachael » Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 am

You can try Google Drive, which attaches to your Google account and stays indefinitely.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby QuadDoomer » Mon May 04, 2020 10:35 am

Yes, thanks for the tip. My Google account is already full. If I can't do it on gamers.org, moddb.com is another option. :)
QuadDoomer

Postby jdredalert » Mon May 04, 2020 11:09 am

You can use any social network accounts (such as facebook) for login in mediafire. There's also OneDrive and Dropbox that works just fine as well.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Artman2004 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:51 pm

Are the dual pistols included in the WAD?
Artman2004

Postby QuadDoomer » Tue May 05, 2020 5:57 am

Thanks jdredalert! I'm looking more for a public game modding host rather than an individual account, but until there, your suggestion is the way.

Artman2004 wrote:Are the dual pistols included in the WAD?

Yes. It's an old pistol graphic, but it still looks good with the "classical" weapons.

Here comes better illustrative pics:
Last edited by QuadDoomer on Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuadDoomer

Postby QuadDoomer » Tue May 05, 2020 5:58 am

(pics)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QuadDoomer

Postby QuadDoomer » Tue May 05, 2020 5:59 am

(pics)
QuadDoomer

Postby DavidN » Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Spectacular - I love the scope of these maps, I generally prefer small maps but these feel like entire episodes in their own environments. I've only completed the first so far, but I really loved how the base opened up as you went, with later areas circling back to earlier ones and making a whole coherent environment - it felt like Episode 1 done on a really big scale.

Until - and you know what I'm going to say - the vine maze. The concept of having to fight through poor visibility is great but it just goes on for far too long and the lack of a map makes it totally innavigable - it's a shame because that finishes the map with a bad taste in the player's mouth after the masterfully constructed base. I'm still eager to go ahead and play the last couple of levels :) And the difficulty was good, never feeling absolutely overwhelming until the last part where health and ammunition were in very short supply.

I took a video of my play through of the first level - it's a bit of an epic.

DavidN

Postby QuadDoomer » Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 am

DavidN wrote:Spectacular - I love the scope of these maps, I generally prefer small maps but these feel like entire episodes in their own environments. I've only completed the first so far, but I really loved how the base opened up as you went, with later areas circling back to earlier ones and making a whole coherent environment - it felt like Episode 1 done on a really big scale.

Until - and you know what I'm going to say - the vine maze. The concept of having to fight through poor visibility is great but it just goes on for far too long and the lack of a map makes it totally innavigable - it's a shame because that finishes the map with a bad taste in the player's mouth after the masterfully constructed base. I'm still eager to go ahead and play the last couple of levels :) And the difficulty was good, never feeling absolutely overwhelming until the last part where health and ammunition were in very short supply.

I took a video of my play through of the first level - it's a bit of an epic.

Hi DavidN! Thanks very much for your review and the video! I'll make some changes to improve the gameplay in places such as the vine maze - Austinado, from DoomWorld forums, also played it and adverted about this place. Let's see how it works for you on map 4...

Thanks again!
QuadDoomer

Postby Rowsol » Sun May 31, 2020 7:29 pm

It's obvious a fuck ton of work went into this. With that said.. there are too many fucking guys! On HNTR it's tolerable. The maze on the first map is way too big. You'll want to kill yourself. But the second map is where I quit. Fall damage, really? The tour bus is very cool but the level plays like shit. Exploring all these buildings that lead nowhere while you're getting pelted from a mile away. With dynamic lights the sheer amount of projectiles flying is killing my framerate. I had every intention of at least checking out all the levels but I don't think I can now.
Rowsol

Postby DavidRaven » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:01 pm

Just finished playing this. I really REALLY liked the maps (they instantly became some of my favourites, except the first map maze), the atmosphere is really cool. Anyway, I think there may be too many monsters and not enough ammo (played on UV and, after a while, had to set the item respawn on).
Still, I think that it's an awesome work overall, looking forward to see more of your work in the future :D
DavidRaven

Postby QuadDoomer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am

DavidRaven, I aprecciate your review, and hope that the playing time was fun.

Yep, seems that the tough maze wasn't good for everyone that player it - specially because the map is hidden. I'm looking forward to fix it.

The focus is on hard gameplay, but it should be "fair" - different from Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta and similar mods. Thanks again for your feedback!

And for new works, I've released recendly a mod called "Impy Vendetta", in which you are an Imp tired of all your colleagues shot by Marines. It is also important to notice that it is very hard in the beggining, because you still doesn't have Imp Claw's powerups. So switch back a skill level before start. Hope you like it too!

EDIT: Here follows a post from Universe Today about Titan, in which inspired the fourth level of Quarantine:
https://www.universetoday.com/146457/titan-is-drifting-away-from-saturn-surprisingly-quickly/
QuadDoomer

Return to Levels