The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.
Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.

The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Postby R4L » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Hey all.

I wrote on the Discord server that I was going to make a tutorial dealing with 3D models, and I've finished the first part. Part one covers importing/exporting models correctly out of Blender and into SLADE, and using the SurfaceSkin property. I might make a video detailing this as well. I understand that this could be quite a bit to read and therefore some what difficult to follow, but I feel I have explained everything well enough. If you feel that I haven't, I would appreciate any kind of feedback!

Part I
Part II
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Discord: R4L#4655

Re: The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Postby AFADoomer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Nicely done! I can't speak to the Blender portion, but this captures the rest of the process well.

The one thing that may be outdated - From what I have seen, the TEXTURES lump entry for the sprite is not necessary any more... I'm pretty sure that's a relatively recent change, though.
AFADoomer

Postby R4L » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh? I had no idea about the TEXTURES lump being outdated... if you don't mind me asking, what should I be using now?
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 am

TEXTURES itself isn't outdated... Just the part about adding an entry for the sprites that are used to assign model frames to an actor - So in your tutorial, you can just skip the part about adding IBMEA0 to TEXTURES, because everything will work fine without adding it.
AFADoomer

Postby R4L » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 am

Awesome, good to know! I'll update the tutorial.
R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Return to Tutorials