ZScript Documentation (2021 Redux!)

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

ZScript Documentation (2021 Redux!)

Post by Marrub »

Rendered HTML: Stable (currently unavailable) / Staging

Git Repositories: Stable (currently unavailable) / Staging

Contributions welcome! Pull requests are appreciated. If you want organization access, ask me in PMs here. If you want help contributing, you can reach me on Discord (@Marrub#5455) or on my Discord server in the channel #eldritch-rust.
Last edited by Marrub on Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ZippeyKeys12

Re: ZScript Language Documentation (WIP)

Post by ZippeyKeys12 »

This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

@Marrub I honestly cannot thank you enough for this!
I believe that the documentation on ZScript, over a year later, is frankly insufficient, and that this kind of documentation is what we really need so that people can document it on the wiki for everybody else.
I have a couple friends who'd love to start using ZScript, but then I end up feeling a sense of guilt when telling them to start using ZScript instead of DECORATE, because I know they are nowhere near capable enough of using it. And without ample, adequate documentation in the wiki, it becomes tacky and rough swiftly for them. The best they can do is convert DECORATE to ZScript, but then they get lost from there when they are interested in making their own functions and doing some of the intermediate things.
So seriously, please keep doing what you're doing! <3
ZippeyKeys12 wrote:This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?
I wholeheartedly agree that this is great information, and that it may be migrated to the wiki, but I'm sure that Marrub doesn't wanna plot this all into the wiki for the same reason that Major Cooke didn't wanna contribute very much before (i.e. making mistakes or accidentally giving out erroneous information).
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

ZippeyKeys12 wrote:This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?
nazakomu wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that this is great information, and that it may be migrated to the wiki, but I'm sure that Marrub doesn't wanna plot this all into the wiki for the same reason that Major Cooke didn't wanna contribute very much before (i.e. making mistakes or accidentally giving out erroneous information).
Reading is FUNdamental!
Marrub wrote:This isn't on the wiki because I really don't like writing wikitext and because it isn't finished yet.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Yeah, when it's done I'll migrate it to the wiki. Anyone is free to use this information to further the wiki of course, but again, it's not finished, so a lot of it either needs verification, rewording, or generally improvement before it's suitable for that.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I need to read this cover to cover because so much of Programming Languages 101 (that isn't ACS) still eludes me.

Top stuff, Marrub.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for taking the effort. I've been hoping for all that time that someone would take on the task. I am simply a shitty docs writer, like probably most programmers so I'd never be able to write comprehensive docs myself.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Would it be okay if I added a link to this on the wiki at least? That way it's not lost in the forums or Discord chat in the meantime.

Meh, added at the bottom of the page. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, yada yada.

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Dang, this is good.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

This is really appreciated. Not easy at all to write good documentation.
JPL

Post by JPL »

This is incredibly valuable, thank so much for putting in the time and effort for this.
Eliot_L

Post by Eliot_L »

Thanks for sharing this! It's an awesome resource.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Looks way more useful then the zdoom wiki
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Graf Zahl wrote:Thanks for taking the effort. I've been hoping for all that time that someone would take on the task. I am simply a shitty docs writer, like probably most programmers so I'd never be able to write comprehensive docs myself.
I know what you mean.

Though in my case, things were confusing when it came to such parts like the menus and due to my lack of understanding on how certain things function, I didn't want to repeat what happened with the acceptable sound formats when (G)Zdoom still had FMOD and give people the wrong idea.

Big thanks, Marrub!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Quick note about properties, you can only use int, double, bool, class<name>, strings and names. I haven't had any luck using vectors.

Return to “Scripting”