ZScript Language Documentation (WIP)

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

ZScript Language Documentation (WIP)

Postby Marrub » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi, I've been working on documenting ZScript's core language and API for a month or so (more like a week of actual work) so here you go.

here is thing

This isn't on the wiki because I really don't like writing wikitext and because it isn't finished yet. The core language documentation is mostly done but the API needs lots of work as it is rather gigantic and makes up most of anyone's usage of ZScript. I'm putting this here because even in its currently unfinished state it's still useful and has lots of things that are not documented anywhere else. Feel free to ask questions, suggest edits, &c.

If you'd like to contribute (and acknowledge that this documentation is public domain and so your contributions will as well be,) don't hesitate to get at me on Discord, in the "#oh-no-not-things" channel on my public server.
Last edited by Marrub on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marrub
Xevv Va Rkvyr

Discord: Marrub#5455
Twitch ID: marrubdaskuleion

Re: ZScript Language Documentation (WIP)

Postby ZippeyKeys12 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 am

This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?
ZippeyKeys12

Postby nazakomu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 am

@Marrub I honestly cannot thank you enough for this!
I believe that the documentation on ZScript, over a year later, is frankly insufficient, and that this kind of documentation is what we really need so that people can document it on the wiki for everybody else.
I have a couple friends who'd love to start using ZScript, but then I end up feeling a sense of guilt when telling them to start using ZScript instead of DECORATE, because I know they are nowhere near capable enough of using it. And without ample, adequate documentation in the wiki, it becomes tacky and rough swiftly for them. The best they can do is convert DECORATE to ZScript, but then they get lost from there when they are interested in making their own functions and doing some of the intermediate things.
So seriously, please keep doing what you're doing! <3

ZippeyKeys12 wrote:This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?

I wholeheartedly agree that this is great information, and that it may be migrated to the wiki, but I'm sure that Marrub doesn't wanna plot this all into the wiki for the same reason that Major Cooke didn't wanna contribute very much before (i.e. making mistakes or accidentally giving out erroneous information).
nazakomu
iddqd

Discord: Nazakomu#3025

Postby Kinsie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:24 am

ZippeyKeys12 wrote:This should get pinned, it's great! Is this information going to eventually be migrated to the wiki?
nazakomu wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that this is great information, and that it may be migrated to the wiki, but I'm sure that Marrub doesn't wanna plot this all into the wiki for the same reason that Major Cooke didn't wanna contribute very much before (i.e. making mistakes or accidentally giving out erroneous information).

Reading is FUNdamental!
Marrub wrote:This isn't on the wiki because I really don't like writing wikitext and because it isn't finished yet.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Marrub » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 am

Yeah, when it's done I'll migrate it to the wiki. Anyone is free to use this information to further the wiki of course, but again, it's not finished, so a lot of it either needs verification, rewording, or generally improvement before it's suitable for that.
Marrub
Xevv Va Rkvyr

Discord: Marrub#5455
Twitch ID: marrubdaskuleion

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:33 am

I need to read this cover to cover because so much of Programming Languages 101 (that isn't ACS) still eludes me.

Top stuff, Marrub.
Jimmy
I picked a fine day to be lactose intolerant

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:04 am

Thanks for taking the effort. I've been hoping for all that time that someone would take on the task. I am simply a shitty docs writer, like probably most programmers so I'd never be able to write comprehensive docs myself.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Caligari87 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 am

Would it be okay if I added a link to this on the wiki at least? That way it's not lost in the forums or Discord chat in the meantime.

Meh, added at the bottom of the page. Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, yada yada.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Dang, this is good.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby gwHero » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 pm

This is really appreciated. Not easy at all to write good documentation.
gwHero
Be your own Siddhartha

Postby JPL » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm

This is incredibly valuable, thank so much for putting in the time and effort for this.
JPL

Postby Eliot_L » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks for sharing this! It's an awesome resource.
Eliot_L

Discord: eliot#4974
Twitch ID: EliotL

Postby Zen3001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Looks way more useful then the zdoom wiki
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Thanks for taking the effort. I've been hoping for all that time that someone would take on the task. I am simply a shitty docs writer, like probably most programmers so I'd never be able to write comprehensive docs myself.

I know what you mean.

Though in my case, things were confusing when it came to such parts like the menus and due to my lack of understanding on how certain things function, I didn't want to repeat what happened with the acceptable sound formats when (G)Zdoom still had FMOD and give people the wrong idea.

Big thanks, Marrub!
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Quick note about properties, you can only use int, double, bool, class<name>, strings and names. I haven't had any luck using vectors.
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Next

Return to Scripting