[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
saxxonpike

Post by saxxonpike »

I did this really quickly to show some skills... unless you've already got artists with music on the way :\

(edit: it won't upload here -- so get it at http://www.gameroom.com/saxxonpike/wads - direct linking doesn't work... use this URL)
Tormentor667

ROUND 2 RULES

Post by Tormentor667 »

After playing through all of these maps, I wrote some info and tipps for round 2 so you guys know how this should turn out in the very end. So please read through this before you start editing on the "KneeDeep in ZDoom" maps ;) But first at all, some general info on round 2!

General Info on Round 2
------------
Round 2 will take about 3 weeks from Monday 11th till the 31st of Octobre. The following tasks have to be accomplished after this time of developement:
- Skill Settings, Monsters and Items have to be placed
- Gameplay settings must be done
- Bugs & visual Faults have to be fixed in all of the maps
- After E1M5, some hellish parts should be added to the maps itself (E1M6, E1M7, E1M8) and this should be enhanced throughout these 3 maps. Then it is also allowed to place several hellish monsters like Cacos, BUT ONLY IN HELLISH AREAS or E1-AREAS WITH HELLISH TOUCHES (check E1M7 for a small example, see the exit!)
- The mapdesign should be straightened, so the design and level of detail shouldn't vary that much throughout the Episode, so it looks muche more professional. As an example of the standard style (base), check E1M5 after week 3, some parts of E1M1 and my parts from E1M8!!
- The Music WAD has to be compiled (that's my task)
- We should also add several text strings to the episode (MAPINFO), one before map3, one before map9, one before map6 and one before map8 and after map8 (anyone volunteering to write this? So we have also a small piece of story in this)
- ...and in the end, compile the whole wad and betatest it. This will happen in the week after the 31st Octobre!
- The color of the Nukagewater must be standardized in each map. Make it a dark green color with dark green haze, this works best, check E1M5 and the mainpool for reference
- The credits text (find the script on the mainpage) must be added to all maps. Remove the 3rd name from E1M1 and E1M8!
- If you want to, add Enjay's sky texture to your map! (check below for link)

Special Info on Round 2 for each Map
--------------------------
E1M1
- Due to the fact, that E1M1 hasn't been developed in WEEK3, there are a lot of things still opened.
- The second nukage pool connected to the first one before the exit room needs a lot of work, same goes to the DukeWaterTeleport in this area
- The areas at the very top of the map need some work because for now they have no particular sense
- Remove the 3rd name out of the credits for this map!
- Concerning style, this map is one of our references ;) So use it!

E1M2
- There are several places (for example the original outdoor secret area where you find the soulsphere) which needs muche more detail and stuff because they play and still look like the original)
- That's all I could find at the moment...

E1M3
- The starting room needs detail
- There are many misalignments throughout the whole map which needs to be fixed
- The window in front of the SOULSPHERE secret looks ugly, make it more detailed with a border (check tormentor667.de 2 1/2 D Editing reference as help ;))
- The Elevator to the mines should move farther down, because if you look upwards while lowering the floor, the effect is broken because you see, you were teleported!
- The room where you get the yellow key still looks underdetailed, add some special stuff to this. Also the secret where you get to the soulsphere is too easy to reach due to the fact that you can jump in ZDoom. MAke it harder!
- The rooms before the room where you can get the yellow key look very ugly, because they are absolutely untouched and look like the original versions. Do something about it, change their overall look and add mire depth!
- There are many more untouched areas which still look like their originals, detail has to be added to them.
- Some textures have to be changed and rooms have to be enhanced (for example the NickBRIK room in front of the starting room after the elevator to the caves)
- The ending for the secret map is terrible, no detail, no depth, no atmosphere. The idea of making it a bit hellish is not bad but overall it looks very noobish (I even could count the sectors used on one hand) This has to be enhanced!

E1M4
- Some of the week 2 areas need a lot of work on, mostly kirby's work!
- Also the map needs more E1-ish structures and textures to look more E1-ish.
- No more Info, I am lazy and for reference, check E1M5, E1M8 or E1M1!

E1M5
- Bugfix several issues, you will find them while playing!
- It is my map so it is hard to find any special issues, because I am pleased with how it looks like. Just build the other maps like that and I am pleased with the whole project ;)

E1M6
- This is the map which needs the most work of all, many areas are still untouched, other areas have been revamped but still look too much like their originals and that's pretty boring. The new areas have also a very low level of detail. Need to do something about it
- Add a very special room to this place, because as for now it is very boring and has no special thing in it. We need to do something about it ;)

E1M7
- Looks amazing but is still very Risen'ish. Other mappers working on this should connect this style with the other maps (E1M5) and also add several new rooms, that's something which hasn't been done to this map at all (not considering the exit and stuff)

E1M8
- Normally the map is finished, just monsters and gameplay have to be adjusted.
- I'd like to see the cutscene before the 2 Superbarons (are they already included?) to be more "dreamish" (add fitting gfx'es via FONT to this)
- MAke some of the areas there more hellish with some SKINx textures for example as seen in E1M9 and E1M7!
- Take this also as reference concerning style and mapdesigfn while working on other maps!

E1M9
- BioHazard's Main work looks amazing, no work has to be done there (just remove the Cyberdemon!)
- Add also BioHazards doors to the new created areas outside the original base!
- The new outside areas have to be made much E1-stylisher, maybe add some bunkers to this. Also add Enjay's tanks to this place, make em E1isher and remove the road outside the complex or just change it to something more "futuristic", with border and magnetic rails or such things, just be creative ;)
- Add more detail to the newly created areas, they look still too underdetailed!
- Remove & Fix bugs, for example the elevator in the new area can be made much better!
- Add the better tanks from Enjay and make em E1ish ;) (check below for link!)

Gameplay, Monster & Weaponbalance Rules
----------------------------
- The rifle can only be found in E1M9 and is a secret weapon, but you can place ammo for this weapon from E1M5 on!
- You can use all Imp variants from E1M1 to E1M8 (and E1M9)
- You can use the Satyr from E1M3 to E1M8(9), the Hell Knighto from E1M4 and so on but other Baron variants from E1M5!
- Shotgun can be found in E1M1 the first time
- Chaingun can be found in E1M2 the first time
- Rocket Launcher can be found in E1M3 the first time
- Grenade Launcher can be found in E1M5 the first time (the place where you can get the SuperShotgun now!)
- Supershotgun can be found in E1M6 for the first time! (at the very beginning!)
- Skill Settings must be available!!!
- Concerning the monster amaoung: Just triple the monster count/strength (for a rough example for a Demon add a Blooddemon) regarding the original Episode 1! Consider: With mouselook, jump and all the other stuff, doom got more boring and so we have to make it harder, especially for Ultra-Violence!

Links to tha Stuff
---------------
E1M1 - E1M9 of Week 3: http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/kdizdres/round2/
New Clouds: http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/kdizd ... newclouds/
ZE1M9 Tanks: http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/kdizd ... e1m9tanks/

Information on the 2nd Joining
---------------
So far, we are 6 persons and we have 3 weeks to work on the 9 maps. My plan is that on each of the 3 weeks, 6 people work on 6 maps on which they haven't worked before (so each time, people work on a new map). At the end of round 2, each map must have been worked on for at last 2 times, and some of them 3 times. Beyond this, after round 2, the maps MUST BE FINISHED! So here we go on the list of maps and weeks you can volunteer for, but don't forget: Don't work on maps you have worked before! (although, if someone has a special wish to continue on a special map, feel free to bet ;)), and by the way: On each map you work, add your name to the credits at the beginning!

Code: Select all

WEEK1     WEEK2     WEEK3
E1M1    cccp_leha cccp_leha --------
E1M2    Tormentor --------  cccp_leha
E1M3    ellmo     ellmo    ellmo   
E1M4    Risen     Nightmare --------
E1M5    Nightmare --------  --------
E1M6    --------  cccp_leha Risen   
E1M7    --------  Tormentor Nightmare
E1M8    NMN       --------  Tormentor
E1M9    BioHazard NMN       --------
Special Week2 Effort: Intermission Stuff -> Risen
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

I bring You news fellows of KDIZD.

First the bad news- unfortunately, despite the fact that I am really ashamed :oops: I must say that altough I said will help, I can not. Not only that the other project I'm working on (for Dittohead speeds up) Real Life struck me again so hard that I just wish I would stay in my damn bed for the rest of my life :cry: Not to mention the primary project. Really sorry, but I've anticapated this-I'm useless.

Now the Good news
- I have asked a friend of mine, ellmo, to take care of ze1m3. He will work in this project, so welcome him nicely :) His skills-don't worry, You know mine, and I do reccomend him-his maps are far cooler than anything I've presented in KDIZD :) Just remember that there's a brand new person with yee. I've already explained him general info about KDIZD so he should have no problem with polishing ze1m3 in the second round.
Cheers, sorry I wasn't that useful, but at least I've brought someone in exchange for me. Trust me-this guy is good.
It was nice working with You, I wish I could stay for longer, but this week proved that there's one thing certain-that nothing is certain (Lexus A.)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Nmn - Don't forget about the rules above, it's not just E1M3 he must work on, nevertheless, I'd be glad if he could join this discussion and give (first at al) me some reference of his work in form of screenshots or wads. I know about his name but I don't have a special map in mind when thinking about him...

[EDIT]Forget about this, it's the "Doom Refresh Demon" ellmo so it is okay ;)
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

As a final word I want to wish You people luck. :D
Better do something with ZE1m3 and Ze1m4 or I'll be ripping heads off :) and I'm good at that ;)
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Like I said before, I didn't get to implement a few things I had in mind for E1M1, so I will take that first. Also, I might not be able to carry the full workload because of midterms and presentations in school, so I'm not sure that I can be counted as a "full" person, if you know what I mean.
Nmn wrote:I'll be ripping heads off :)
And shitting down our necks? :D
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

No, today I'm out of bubble gum ;)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

well im back in the fray finally. i had a huge promotions project dumped on me and that took me a good week or so to finish. all it needs now is to be reviewed by the customer and ill be free to work again! and i even had a few ideas along the way! :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Put me down for e1m5, e1m3 and e1m4 (in that order) :).
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Nightmare - Done

@cccp_leha - And the 2 other maps?

@NMN - ellmo should read this now so we can give him his slots as soon as possible!
cyber-menace

Post by cyber-menace »

A comment on E1M8. The final battle is far too easy. I had the the Hell Warrior attack the Baron right off the bat and then the baron killed it at the expense of most of his health... that was far too easy.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Tormentor667 wrote:@cccp_leha - And the 2 other maps?
Hmm... I haven't thouroughly played through the other ones, so anything that's missing the leet FLOOR4_8 texturing, or any other detailing for that matter. :)
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

If I'm still allowed, I would like to add detail to possibly E1m6? I cna understand if my skills are not required here, but I would like to at least try if given the chance.

EDIT: Just re-read the rules T.T

:cry:
cccp_leha

Re: ROUND 2 RULES

Post by cccp_leha »

Tormentor667 wrote:E1M8
- Normally the map is finished, just monsters and gameplay have to be adjusted.
- I'd like to see the cutscene before the 2 Superbarons (are they already included?) to be more "dreamish" (add fitting gfx'es via FONT to this)
- MAke some of the areas there more hellish with some SKINx textures for example as seen in E1M9 and E1M7!
- Take this also as reference concerning style and mapdesigfn while working on other maps!
This sounds like a job for... BioHazard!!! :thumb:

@Tormentor: Since you say E1M6 is underdetailed, I will take it, either week.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Tormentor667 wrote: @NMN - ellmo should read this now so we can give him his slots as soon as possible!
Yeah... where the heck is he? I'll give him a chase ;)

Return to “Levels”