News from 1 August 2000

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

News from 1 August 2000

Post by randi »

Yes, I am still working on ZDoom. Some people have asked if I had dropped it, since I'm not updating this page too frequently. Sorry. Before I go any specifics about what I've been doing, let me mention two products that can be used to launch ZDoom (listed in the order that their authors notified me; sorry I didn't post this sooner): So, what have I been doing with ZDoom? Unfortunately, feature creep has snuck in, and I can't find a good place to stop. I don't have too much more planned for 1.23, so it shuoldn't be much longer until it's released.

However, I don't want to give everything away before I release it, so here's a screenshot and a short (incomplete) list of changes to prove that I've been doing something:

[Screenshot of a decal]
  • If you have some Quake 2 console scripts you want to convert to ZDoom, you should be glad to know that I added a wait console command and fixed an "unknown command" bug when you rebound a key as part of the action when the key was pressed.
  • As Rick Clark has already hinted, I have implemented some much fancier cameras than the ones found in the latest public versions of ZDoom. These cameras can smoothly follow a path layed down in a level, and they can trigger events at specific points along the path. You can also set them to look at a specific actor. For complex scenes, these actors can also be following a path.
  • WinAmp playlist (.m3u) support.
  • CD Audio, including support for multiple CD drives.
  • ACS scripts can change the currently playing music. If playing a MOD, you can also specify an order to play from, so you can have multiple songs in a single MOD, the way Unreal does.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”