[WIP] Extra Crispy - It lives again!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

[WIP] Extra Crispy - It lives again!

Post by The Zombie Killer »

NOTE: Some DOOM resources are used as placeholders currently. They will be replaced properly later.

What?
Extra Crispy is a project dedicated to recreating the weapons from Monolith's "Blood" in GZDoom, as accurately as possible.
This is not intended to be a fully-fledged mod, but rather a resource, although I would rather have it here than in the resources forum, since it technically counts as a project.

...How?
Blood's animations are stored in "QAV" and "SEQ" files, for HUD and object animations, respectively.
I've written a tool that goes through Blood's resources and reads all of the QAV files, outputting ZScript states and PNG images to be placed into GZDoom.
From there, proper actors are created that make use of these states.
Simple as that, really.

Release when?
I'm waiting on #200 and #219 before I release anything publicly.
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
Endless123

Re: [WIP] Extra Crispy - Blood Weapons Recreation

Post by Endless123 »

Just to prevent any unwanted warnings about screenshots i took the liberty to take some
Spoiler:
The hands animation is really well done BTW.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Endless123 wrote:Just to prevent any unwanted warnings about screenshots i took the liberty to take some
To clarify, we only demand screenshots if there is no other indication that a mod is being developed. If you have a Youtube video, or better yet, a download to the actual mod (which he does), screenshots are not required but are still a good idea.
The Zombie Killer

Endless123 wrote:The hands animation is really well done BTW.
Thanks, it took ages to finish. I mean AGES.
wildweasel wrote:screenshots are not required but are still a good idea.
I was considering screenshots, but they're kinda pointless since you can just look at Blood and see essentially the same thing. If I ever recreate maps, then it'll be a different story.
Nash

Re: [WIP] Extra Crispy - (Accurate) Blood Weapons Recreation

Post by Nash »

Good work! This would be a very useful base for anyone looking to create Blood-related mods in ZDoom. I hope you'll eventually finish all the weapons... :D
The Zombie Killer

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to work on it soon. School work is a real pain sometimes.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Let me express my sincere appreciation for your project :!: IMHO the Blood arsenal has always proved one of the best especially in terms of 'feel', and the fact that you are tackling this translation project so accurately makes me confident you'll be able to preserve that great 'feel'. 8-)

Having said that, I am definitely looking forward to the full arsenal recreation, too!
Good luck! :D
The Zombie Killer

@rsl
Thanks!

Update
I had some free time, and finished off the Beast Hands. They won't damage anything, because the original QAV files don't define a frame to attack on, but it can be easily added. Every animation has been ported over (select, deselect, idle, attack 1, attack 2, attack 3, attack 4)

Download in OP

Oh and also:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Feels really fluid!
kidvicious

Post by kidvicious »

I have a version of the Sawedoff I heavily modified close to accuracy that might go good in this. I got it to sway while firing, used .png's for sprites and got shells to emit while it's being reloaded. Sorry for the bump. unfortunately, the the wad is over 256 kilobites, so I can give it to you through a PM.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

hey, good to see i can play with real-bloody blood weapons among with duke's! unless the pitchfork attacks pretty slower and has only one puff than original, though.
The Zombie Killer

Re: [WIP] Extra Crispy - It lives again!

Deii

Post by Deii »

Looks pretty interesting, and the guns all seem to have that almost...floaty feel to them that Blood had. Do you plan on adding that feature that makes sprites drift about the screen depending on how fast you're turning/looking up and down as well?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, it's indeed lives AGAIN! Looks retrospective, yet vanilla-friendly at the same time to look at again.
The Zombie Killer

Deii wrote:Looks pretty interesting, and the guns all seem to have that almost...floaty feel to them that Blood had. Do you plan on adding that feature that makes sprites drift about the screen depending on how fast you're turning/looking up and down as well?
I'd definitely like to, just depends on how accurate I can get it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”