Just another Zdoom mod

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
doom01101001

Just another Zdoom mod

Post by doom01101001 »

I've been doing this for a decade or more, and I'm still learning.
Would anyone want to help me with my Zdoom project?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rdobh7

--Note--

This is not a finished mod, just a work in progress.

Please, le me know what you think. :)
Ethril

Re: Just another Zdoom mod

Post by Ethril »

Gonna need some more details here.
DoomSplitter

Post by DoomSplitter »

Is this suposed to be a joke? It's basicly a duke in zdoom remake with dukeHRP models as sprites. At least the actors seem to behave correctly.

Edit: I would probably have liked the mod better if it wasn't for those god-awful model rips. I think your better off just using the original duke 3d sprites. Also, is there a specific reason why you included the doom vacation wad in the zip?
doom01101001

Post by doom01101001 »

A joke?
No, it's not a jokewad, or a gag, or whatever. I have been asked that before. I don't know why.
As for "god awful", are YOU joking? The original Duke sprites were awful looking and pixilated as hell.
I improved them, in my opinion.
The vacation wad zip is included (with the author's approval) because it's also a "duke rip", and it's fantastic.

The help I need is just this; Talking about the project. If someone wants to help with a script issue, or a map, that's great too.
The way I look at it, the community helps me by spreading the word about my project, and discussion about new projects keep the community alive.

Let me just say, few people make custom 3-d models for Doom wads. Using sprites and other art is a valid way of creating art, as long as you don't mis-represent it as your idea,defame it, or try and make money off it.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

doom01101001 wrote:A joke?
No, it's not a jokewad, or a gag, or whatever. I have been asked that before. I don't know why.
As for "god awful", are YOU joking? The original Duke sprites were awful looking and pixilated as hell.
heh
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Without downloading, based on your posts I'm going to guess you're this guy.
8thmonth wrote:Um, what are you talking about?

The original Duke Nukem was horribly pixilated. This is hi resolution.
I understand your not use to it, but "ugly"?

No, I think you just have an ax to grind.

trolling.

This is the BEST DN to Doom mod EVER.

Get over yourself.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/920641

If you're not the same guy, you're doing basically the same thing. YO'URE MAKEING A TERIRBLE MISTAKE, TURN BACK WHILE YUO STILL CAN!!
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

Fix your spelling errors Essel...

As for your model rip weapons, the animations aren't any good. That's what makes them inferior to the original sprites.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

cq75 wrote:Fix your spelling errors Essel...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Time to give this my typical review style (other users might see this as familiar)...the List of Grievances format!
  1. The file is 16.8 MB compressed, and at Sendspace's speed, it will take over two and a half minutes to reach me.
  2. While I haven't seen the contents of the ZIP file yet, I'm not sure why you (apparently) included an entirely different mod along with your own, instead of merely bringing said mod to our attention with a location where we can download it separately if we're interested. I'll be ignoring the "Doom Vacation" part and focusing entirely on your own production.
  3. The first thing I've done is open your readme. You're apparently 8thmonth from the Doomworld forums, where you have already received a pretty bad reputation for this very same mod.
  4. You're running an old-ass version of ZDoom (2.0.42?!).
  5. Two of the maps included are evidently borrowed from the 1996 TC, A Fistful of Doom. While credit is given, and the original text file is included and provides for using it as a base, I really don't think it's wise to do that sort of thing.
  6. Okay, firing this up now. The weapons are HRP model rips and are badly angled and choppily animated.
  7. Some of the sounds seem as if you recorded them with a tape player instead of cleanly ripping them from Duke3d.grp.
  8. There is an Unknown Thing inside the motel room secret near the beginning of the level.
  9. The console spits out a lot of errors involving unknown actor names, an ACS script that references actors that don't exist, and missing textures.
  10. There are too many enemies that do way too much damage (skill 3).
  11. The RPG does not appear to use ammo.
  12. Duke's one-liners trigger too often, occasionally resulting in Duke speaking over top of himself.
  13. I again mention that the weapons do not angle correctly to the crosshair - the RPG is way too high on screen.
  14. Stepping on shrunken enemies triggers Unknown P-Code 134 in Script 518 errors.
  15. The Devastator is shifted too far to the right.
  16. The tripbombs don't appear to actually do anything.
  17. Scratch that; the tripbombs only seem to trigger on enemies, not when Duke walks through them.
  18. Also I was wrong about the RPG not using ammo; I was just not looking at the correct number on the status bar.
  19. Which brings me to another thing: why didn't you replace the status bar?
  20. Using the Frogger machine in the arcade mysteriously transports you back out to the street.
  21. Since you can't blow out the ticket booth like in the original game, there is only one route through the level, making it unfit for Deathmatch.
  22. The keycard hand looks really dumb at higher resolutions, since you're not using SetHudSize to account for those people that run the game at higher than 640x480.
  23. There is inexplicably a Doom marble texture in the corridor leading to the blue keycard on Map02.
  24. The elevator up to the motel room doesn't go back down, so you have to jump out the window.
  25. In the corridor leading to said elevator, there is a missing texture, resulting in a hall of mirrors.
  26. And a random blue Doom carpet on the wall next to it.
  27. Whoops - that missing texture is the elevator leading to the motel room! And you can't bring it back down! Meaning if you forget to get the keycard somehow, or you're playing co-op with Drop Keys on, you cannot get back to the blue key once one player has gone up there!
  28. You can use the portable medkit, even at full health, and it will disappear from your inventory.
  29. Upon seeing myself in a mirror: Duke's pants only partially support player colors, so they appear blue with huge mustard stains on them (since my player color is yellow).
  30. The yellow access card is hidden in a secret in the bathroom...why? Sane map design dictates that you NEVER hide required items in secrets, especially not keycards!
  31. You can't break out the vent cover in the bar, making another useful alternate route totally useless.
  32. The door to the strip club apparently doesn't need its access card panel unlocked; the door simply opens directly.
  33. You can't get into the vent in the strip club, rendering the level impossible to finish.
  34. The Fistful of Doom levels are completely unaltered from the originals rendering their inclusion meaningless.
No more of these; the last point should be damning enough.
cq75

Post by cq75 »

I wish somebody would be that in depth with a review of my mod...
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Not even gonna touch this one,Probably Just another duke mod.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

cq75 wrote:I wish somebody would be that in depth with a review of my mod...
You don't want me to review your mod like this.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Trooper 077 wrote:Probably Just another duke mod.
No shit?

To his credit, he didn't make an unnecessary sex metaphor this time - Unless I mistook the meaning of "touch". |:
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

For those of you uninterested in reading lots of words, I have summed up the OP's defense of criticism against his work thus far:
doom01101001 wrote:THE ORIGINAL DUKE NUKEM 3D WAS AWFUL SO I MADE THE BEST DUKE NUKEM EVER MADE I AM FAULTLESS AND PERFECT YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS OF MY AWESOME MOD
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Satan wrote:The original Duke sprites were awful looking and pixilated as hell.
Oh hell no not again. Duke's "new" game was delayed for 13 years, he doesn't deserve to suffer this abomination of a mod of what not to do with ZDoom. If you really want to make stuff for Duke, learn how to BUILD and grab eDuke32 for the best source port, it's capable of doing far more things than the original Duke engine. And if you're so concerned about graphics it has a renderer that's on par with today's games. And of course, you still got the HRP models (that aren't badly ripped sprites).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”