Vavoom HUD Weapon Models

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
phi108

Vavoom HUD Weapon Models

Post by phi108 »

EDIT: Re-uploaded to Drdteam: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... models.pk3

It's more like a conversion, not my own project, but here I have converted Vavoom's hud weapon models to work with GZDoom. The fist and BFG aren't in yet. Now I want to try converting jDoom's, but they seem a bit more complicated.

EDIT: And I forgot to say, they only work with the latest GZDoom SVN build.

LINK: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... models.pk3 or http://rapidshare.com/files/109605925/V ... s.pk3.html

If you look at the md2s, you'll see that there are more frames that weren't used in the modeldef. This is because Vavoom can use a different model frame for the same sprite. Like, the SHTGA in the fire state can be a different frame than the SHTGA in the ready state. GZDoom doesn't have this ability, unless new DECORATE is written to allow all model frames to be used. It should be pretty easy, too.

Anyone know how to correct the muzzleflashes being drawn both at once in the SG and SSG?

Also, zoffset can be used in the modeldef, but there is a need for xoffset and yoffset as well, as you can see with the RL and pistol's muzzle flashes. Vavoom used an xoffset to correct the pistol's muzzle flash.

Now, to finally get a model editing program....
Attachments
Models.png
Models.png (118.61 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Last edited by phi108 on Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaptainToenail

Re: Vavoom HUD Weapon Models

Post by CaptainToenail »

Screenies please!
phi108

Post by phi108 »

There are the screens. When you see them in action, you probably won't be impressed, since frames had to be sacrificed for the above-mentioned reason, and because I can't see any model interpolation for hud weapons. Maybe that's a bug....

As for making new better models, that will take more time (perhaps someone else's). This was just a quick conversion done right when I got the new build.

EDIT: And I woner if anyone might be able to load the flash.md2 for the pistol and RL and move it over to be aligned? I wonder if we might get an xoffset flag anytime soon...

And I now realized that a bunch of the modeldef can be compressed more by using the multiple models feature. I am now smarter than 2 days ago.

And I just discovered a bit of a disappointment, with the sprite weapons, my FPS is >150, but when I switch to a model weapon, the FPS drops to ~100. Sad Face...
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

This is pretty cool! Why is the bobbing so fucked up though? :?
doomguymaster64

Post by doomguymaster64 »

not bad looks good :D Is there another place to download this. :oops:
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

hey, what version of gzdoom? (I got 1-1-02)
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Heh, this models are good...although i've noticed that they have an innatural bobbing, and there are too few frames, so the animation is a bit choppy...anyway, nice work... :D
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

How exactly are these supposed to run with GZDoom? I am using SVN 1.1.2 r98, putting the whole thing into autoload section in the ini or wherever, they just won't show up.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

It's not bad, but the weird view bobbing kind of ruins it. It would be nice if you had a few options for how HUD models bobbed.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Input "movebob (new value)" in the console, the default is .25, but I used .05, and even that value caused weird bobbing, so I lowered it to .02. But this affects view bobbing as well as weapon bobbing.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

NightFright wrote:How exactly are these supposed to run with GZDoom? I am using SVN 1.1.2 r98, putting the whole thing into autoload section in the ini or wherever, they just won't show up.
Just drag and drop the file over gzdoom.exe... :wink:
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

the bobbing is because of the models being really tiny and really close to the view
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well, since I am using GZDoom r101 instead of r89, the pack works for me. Anyway, the models are not really that great, except for maybe the pistol and the super shotgun. Especially the chaingun and the rocket launcher appear too small and show too much of their rear parts. This is probably due to the original model and has nothing to do with phi108's work which is still praiseworthy.
However I think a conversion of the jDoom weapons might make more sense. On the other hand, I think there is hardly any HUD weapon model pack out there right now matching the sprite versions closely enough. Same goes for most of the monster models, btw.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I think a total remodeling from scratch makes more sense because jdoom models aren't good either.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

No offense but those HUD models are UGLY!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”