[Early WIP] Duke Nukem: Tears of Crimson

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Clownman

[Early WIP] Duke Nukem: Tears of Crimson

Post by Clownman »

Spoiler: Storyline
Spoiler: Early Screenshots
VIDEOS: Duketalk and Kadie AI test with Ashes 2063

Duke Nukem: Tears of Crimson is a short little fangame that is essentially a crossover between Duke Nukem and the obscure PS2 title, Crimson Tears. A game best known for it's blend of RPG and Beat em Up mechanics in a dungeon crawler and it's Sci-Fi setting.

How this project started is a funny story, I was looking for roles by a former VA I'm a fan of, and when I heard the soundtrack to this game: I began suggesting it for my friends' mod of Duke Nukem Forever (far before the actual development tools were properly uncovered in the final game) but eventually, I sat down and played Crimson Tears for myself. I fairly enjoyed it despite it's slow pacing and jank camera, and aside from being just a casual fan who wanted a Duke game akin to the 2001 iteration of DNF (and no way in hell am I just going to recreate it in the doom engine on my own) I joked about a sequel to Crimson Tears that just got rebranded as a Duke title and it all just built up my interest to finally make it sort of a reality.

Expect this game to be roughly 8 to 12 levels at most.

Credits in due time, though I must give credit to xenoxols for his Duketalk code. Permission was granted via DMs.
I'm not even finished with the first map fully and I'm still working on making the companions, of which only Kadie from the original CT game is avaliable right now. (an example is above)

This will also probably be my last major attempt at mapping/major TC for Doom at all.
Dynamo

Re: [Early WIP] Duke Nukem: Tears of Crimson

Post by Dynamo »

Interesting, definitely a unqiue but seemingly fitting combo. Looking forward to see what you do with this.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks intriguing and each map feels immersive already! Makes me imagine if less-known PS1 Duke games were in first person instead of third person. Will look forward to this project.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Made a shitty no-budget trailer to sort of showcase the characters of the story I want to aim for and try and achieve, along with showcase the tiny bit of gameplay footage of the first map I've done without showing the whole thing. (I've barely started the second one, to be honest.
Spoiler:
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Added some two new weapons over the past two weeks along with various new enemy types. Also messing around with dynamic stage lighting.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Looks cool but that HUD needs work. It's really big and takes up a lot of the screen. You could maybe cut the ego, def, and ammo bars in half and Duke can fit in next to them.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

It's actually adjustable with the default HUD scaler option. I just like having my status readable since I have a widescreen monitor and I feel having it at the default size GZDoom sets makes the text hard to read sometimes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”