[v1.2] Adventures in Moth Sorcery - A Magic-Castin' Gameplay Mod!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MundyC
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[v1.2] Adventures in Moth Sorcery - A Magic-Castin' Gameplay Mod!

Post by MundyC »

Adventures in Moth Sorcery (or AIMS, for short) is a slightly overpowered Ultimate Doom/Doom II gameplay mod which replaces Doomguy with a moth mage named Sanahaid, who casts magic spells with his hands instead of using gunz and bulletz. Weapons are replaced with spell books that teach you stronger spells, which are all powered by mana instead of ammunition. The items and powerups are replaced with appropriate magical artifacts, too. A perfect blend for anyone who likes both Heretic and Doom!

Download: Here! (v1.2)

The ZIP file above comes with two versions of AIMS; relevant to this forum is the GZDoom version (AIMSGZ.wad) which features widescreen graphics, more unique spell effects, extra sounds, and so on. In addition, there is a MBF-compatible version (AIMS1-2.wad and .bex) that can be used in a larger selection of source ports, at the cost of some features.

In addition, I advise you to only play this mod with mapsets that leave the player and weapons untouched. Think TNT + Plutonia, Alien Vendetta, Valiant (Vaccinated Edition), and so on - just make sure that AIMS is loaded last. Do not play this mod with other gameplay mods or mapsets that have extensive DECORATE/DeHacked work; things will break horribly, believe me!

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Weapon/Ammo Replacements (Spoilers?)
Spoiler:
Please let me know if anything in the mod breaks or looks off (and isn't from mapset incompatibility).
GoalDude-00

Re: [v1.2] Adventures in Moth Sorcery - A Magic-Castin' Gameplay Mod!

Post by GoalDude-00 »

This is some very cool stuff! Just got to map 08 of Doom 2 with no issues, and it's also running on LZDoom flawlessly to boot. I especially like the little idle animations most spells have, as well as the quiet fluttering of Sanahaid's wings whenever he jumps - a very neat little detail.

I have nothing to report bug-wise, this seems like a very stable release based on what little I've played. Good job!

P.S.: Kinda expected some lämp joke or another since moth, but I can live without it. :P
eclipse
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): where did the discord field go

Post by eclipse »

this is adorable and really fun! i love the simplicity, oh and the sound design too, reminds me of old raven software kinda!
MundyC
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MundyC »

Thanks for the warm reception. I didn't include any lamp jokes because I completely forgot about that meme during development. Plus, I've never been a fan of it.
Facínora

Post by Facínora »

Hello. Maybe you would like to know that I published a video with your mod. It was fun.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”