WWII GI: What is morale, and what does it do?

Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

WWII GI: What is morale, and what does it do?

Post by Panzermann11 »

EDIT: Alright, so apparently morale is supposed to affect weapon accuracy. The lower your morale, the less accurate your weapon is supposed to be. Being near dead bodies of your allies will reduce your morale, while collecting booze and cigarettes and killing German officers will increase morale.

If you've played WWII GI, you may notice something in the HUD called "Morale" and it seems to be a replacement for the armor, since the game was built off Duke Nukem. In fact, you could hear some of Duke's sound effects in WWII GI and Nam.

In Raze, I noticed the morale seems to only go up to 1 before reaching zero upon death, but in the original version, it was 100 when you begin a level.
The morale meter seems to go up and down randomly, and I have no idea what it's supposed to do. With that said, does anyone know anything about the morale count in WWII GI?
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: WWII GI: What is morale, and what does it do?

Post by Graf Zahl »

I cannot tell you - the game is not the most appealing, but what you describe sounds like a bug. The WW2GI support was hacked together by integrating code from EDuke 2.0 into JFDuke and something may have gone wrong there.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Graf Zahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:34 am I cannot tell you - the game is not the most appealing, but what you describe sounds like a bug. The WW2GI support was hacked together by integrating code from EDuke 2.0 into JFDuke and something may have gone wrong there.
The morale meter only going up to 1 in Raze, that was pretty much a bug, yes. The morale going up and down randomly when I was playing on the original version in DOSBox, I couldn't tell if it's intentional or a bug since again, I have no idea what it's supposed to be.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

Does this mean WWII GI support should for now be considered incomplete?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, it's just a bug somewhere that needs to be investigated. The morale is handled through events and it looks like somewhere a bad value slips through. It may even just be an incorrect display and not a game bug.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Wait a minute... is there a manual for the game? It might have information about the morale meter. Is anyone able to find the game's manual, if one exists at all?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Finder153 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:29 am Wait a minute... is there a manual for the game? It might have information about the morale meter. Is anyone able to find the game's manual, if one exists at all?
According to RTCM, morale is supposed to be raised by finding booze and cigarettes, and by killing Officers, and lowered by being near dead allies. As for what it does, it's supposed to affect your weapon accuracy.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Kinsie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:46 pm
Finder153 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:29 am Wait a minute... is there a manual for the game? It might have information about the morale meter. Is anyone able to find the game's manual, if one exists at all?
According to RTCM, morale is supposed to be raised by finding booze and cigarettes, and by killing Officers, and lowered by being near dead allies. As for what it does, it's supposed to affect your weapon accuracy.
I see. Thanks for answering.

Return to “General”