Shaders: GLSL to GLES [OpenGL ES]

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
difficultoldstuff
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Shaders: GLSL to GLES [OpenGL ES]

Post by difficultoldstuff »

Hello Doom people and all!

I've been searching and researching, but with no solid info anywhere, I feel like it'd be the best place to ask: is it possible to write and use post-processing GLES shaders in GZDoom (4.8+)? If so, how does one go about it?

Current situation: my pk3 has a bunch of fp GLSL shader lumps in shaders/pp/. What I'd want to do is to rewrite them for GLSL (which I assume should be placed in shaders_gles/pp/). Question one: what would be a good resource to look at in an attempt to GLESify my shaders? Question two: how to configure GZDoom to actually make use of those shaders? Usual GLSL shaders are defined in GLDEFS lump and work flawlessly.

I'd be very grateful for any kind of input on this subject. Thank you for reading!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Shaders: GLSL to GLES [OpenGL ES]

Post by Graf Zahl »

The GLES backend is for low end hardware and thus omits features that'd be too costly on such hardware.m Postprocessing and custom shaders are among these unsupported things.
difficultoldstuff
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Shaders: GLSL to GLES [OpenGL ES]

Post by difficultoldstuff »

Thank you, Graf, that solves my questions.

Also, what immortality drugs are you taking to answer such puny questions so fast, after all those years of dev? Damn, you need to hook me up. :)

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”