Speedrun Ghosts

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Speedrun Ghosts

Post by Guest »

I think speedrun Ghosts based on a save would be a cool feature. I know gzdoom is not considered the best or most correct port to do speedruns, but you know, I want to do it anyway, especially with Brutal Doom and some of the less speed run maps.

I know we aren't supposed to suggest huge changes but I feel like this is one of those that is either very very hard or very easy depending on how hacky you are willing to get with the solution. If coordinates can be reliably calculated from a save file and a time offset we know where they need to be rendered. The ghost doesn't need to interact with anything. It just might be easy. Or very very hard.

Then the last thing that would need to be done is add an option in options that lets you select a save file to run the ghost, or multiple if we are feeling ambitious. That would just set the save name to use so if the same save name is written over the ghost will read from the new save.

One possible hurdle is having the appropriate translucency when software rendering. He just might have to be solid in some cases.
Rachael
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Speedrun Ghosts

Post by Rachael »

This can already be, and should only be done with a mod.

What you can do is have a mod that, during a demo playback, records the player XYZ-Headings into a cvar. Probably every second instead of every tic to avoid overloading the cvar buffer.

Then, you can have a mod that creates a ghost of the player based on that recording that you can try and keep ahead of.

Re: Speedrun Ghosts

Post by Guest »

Nice. Thanks. I'll look into it. Maybe someone has already made the mods for it. I'd think only once a second would be way too slow unless you interpolate in the playback.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”