War Rooster v1.3 (20/08/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

War Rooster v1.3 (20/08/2022)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

In order to contain the first waves of demon invasions, the UAC gives birth to the top secret operation known as "The Plutonia Experiment".
Quantum Accelerators were built and task forces got sent to the Congo jungles to fight the hellspawns that escaped. After some time, the war was over and time moved on, everything shrouded in secrecy.

You are Cpl. Jackson, last member of the War Roosters team, living a life rejected by society as most survivors ended. But when the new demon invasions started 20 years later, it all came back to you. Including the memories. You still know the combat rules, but you feel old and rusty.

However, you need to survive this nightmare once more and fight your fears. Welcome to my 12th mod, soldier.

Like a true Cosmobyte™️ work, it's also compatible with Heretic and Hexen, so go wild!
Spoiler: Weapons
Spoiler: Items

CLICK HERE TO START IT UP AND GET SOME!
Spoiler: Recommended add-ons and maps
Have fun and a nice day!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 29 times in total.
hitmanx

Re: War Rooster

Post by hitmanx »

YES!!

Congrats on the release! Will play this as soon as I get the chance
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

It is always a great pleasure to see brand new weapon mod from fellow guns enthusiast!
Never gonna be tired of arsenal from real life to be inserted into ol'good Doom!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

it was fun to help out w/ this !!!

some minor nitpicks tho:

-the pistol grows an underlug when reloading and it dissapears after it (heres a frame without it that can help !)
-the M16, M14, and M79 arent aiming at the crosshair, some should be moved to the side a bit
-the shotgun sounds for pumping are delayed and it doesnt sound like its actually pumping the gun (it sounds a bit weak too)
-the M60's reload frame seems more apt for an "in between" frame when opening and closing, like it doesnt feel like it opens enough
-the hallucinations could fare to be a teensy bit quieter and slightly more transparent. not much to drop the effect they're giving but just enough so that you can still discern whats real and whats fake

really good so far tho, the balance gameplay wise is always top tier
Attachments
WP2RC0.png
WP2RC0.png (19.08 KiB) Viewed 27441 times
ArchVain12
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by ArchVain12 »

This is good but not polish yet... Good mod Dr cosmobyte

M16 needs burst fire ....
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

This fascination for the losing side of the Vietnam War will never cease to amaze me. North Vietnamese DoomGuy when? :lol:

Anyway, cool mod as usual. Probably my favourite of yours so far! :thumb:

I am very glad I am allowed to disable hallucinations, because those can get a bit too distracting, especially when you start hallucinating Chaingunners: not only do they never stop shooting at you, but the hallucinated blood splatters when their hallucinated shots hit you are downright silly.

I am not sure why the music would stop playing once I have killed all enemies, though.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

chronoteeth wrote:it was fun to help out w/ this !!!

some minor nitpicks tho:

-the pistol grows an underlug when reloading and it dissapears after it (heres a frame without it that can help !)
-the M16, M14, and M79 arent aiming at the crosshair, some should be moved to the side a bit
-the shotgun sounds for pumping are delayed and it doesnt sound like its actually pumping the gun (it sounds a bit weak too)
-the M60's reload frame seems more apt for an "in between" frame when opening and closing, like it doesnt feel like it opens enough
-the hallucinations could fare to be a teensy bit quieter and slightly more transparent. not much to drop the effect they're giving but just enough so that you can still discern whats real and whats fake

Ah yeah, that pistol that I ripped is from ACM, but somehow the bottom rail was accidentally included (whoops...)

But yeah, anyway, congrats on the release of the mod! Make your skeleton army proud!
Linz

Post by Linz »

ArchVain12 wrote:This is good but not polish yet... Good mod Dr cosmobyte

M16 needs burst fire ....

What you mean, it already has burst fire

It's called firing in short controlled bursts :P
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

TheNightATK300 wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:it was fun to help out w/ this !!!

some minor nitpicks tho:

Ah yeah, that pistol that I ripped is from ACM, but somehow the bottom rail was accidentally included (whoops...)

But yeah, anyway, congrats on the release of the mod! Make your skeleton army proud!
ya throws me off cuz we did spritework on the pistol LOL but yea its not too much of an issue at the end of the day
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

Congrats on the release! I had a lot of fun providing the voice for my skeleton, even if it left me a little hoarse for a day or two!

As I already sent my feedback in private, I don't have a lot to say so instead I'll say this works well with Brotherhood of Ruin too if anyone needs some maps. I'm still in the process of finding other mapsets that work well with the whole Plutonia vibe and aren't particularly hard, given I'm not what you'd call good at Doom. :wink:
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alamo985 »

As a Vietnamese, I rate this mod a solid Charlie/Fortunate Son.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I see why it's best to use this on Plutonia maps, I loaded Doom 2 and every level was covered in grave stones. lol

EDIT: Nevermind, GZDoom was out of date.

EDIT 2: Maybe not, It seems to conflict with my custom maps, that's unfortunate.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Valherran wrote:I see why it's best to use this on Plutonia maps, I loaded Doom 2 and every level was covered in grave stones. lol

EDIT 2: Maybe not, It seems to conflict with my custom maps, that's unfortunate.
Do you have a lot of "deadmarine" actors in the map? Because the graves replace the deadmarine actor so, maybe that's the cause.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Craneo wrote:
Valherran wrote:I see why it's best to use this on Plutonia maps, I loaded Doom 2 and every level was covered in grave stones. lol

Do you have a lot of "deadmarine" actors in the map? Because the graves replace the deadmarine actor so, maybe that's the cause.
Oh is that what it replaced? Yeah a lot of these maps have dead marines scattered everywhere for aesthetics. Maybe an option to remove them would be ideal.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

ArchVain12 wrote:M16 needs burst fire ....
The first two service models of the M16 only had semi-automatic and automatic. The Burst didn't replace auto until the M16A2 (the A3 model introduced around the same time kept the automatic firemode) in the early 80s (and by then the Vietnam War, of which this mod is based on aesthetically was over by 1975)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”