To add a bit more depth to it, your basic shotgun fires off a single barrel instead of both like the vanilla super shotgun, with the altfire dealing out both barrels if available. Things start off about consistent with the vanilla super shotgun in terms of raw damage (10 pellets a shot), with later ammo types offering both more firepower and more options.
Google Drive link
Submission to Doomworld may follow one of these days.
As this is a replacement for playerclass, weapons, and some item spawns, this means it will not be compatible with mods like Brutal Doom that also affect playerclass and weapons. As it does not replace monsters however, it can readily be used with the Brutal Doom Monsters Only mod, Ketchup, or other mods that alter monsters.
Details on the weapon replacements:
Spoiler:Ammo and weapons have accordingly been replaced by the available types of ammunition, of which there are 6 types to be found:
In addition to weapons and ammo, you start off with an inventory item that can be activated to toggle on or off an additional ability. Instead of a conventional consumable powerup, using the ability in your inventory hotbar drains available charges over time, shutting itself off automatically if you run out and requiring them to toggle on.
While Adrenaline is activated you'll gain doubled rate of fire, 50% greater movement speed, and your melee damage (including quick melee) will be 5 times greater.
As mentioned, there are two powerups you can find as well. After all, the standard weapons are all replaced with ammo spawns, so you'll notice that leaves the chainsaw and berserk pack to be accounted for. The mod options menu allows you to set keybindings for quickly activating adrenaline or guns akimbo.
These two powerups are:
Spoiler:In addition to keybindings for quickly activating either powerup, the following options can be found in the mod options menu, allowing you to turn on or off certain extra features:
1. Quick Melee Can Block Projectiles? The zoom command can be used while the shotgun(s) is equipped for a quick melee attack. With this setting enabled, the resulting pistol-whip will also be able to strike projectiles out of the air. This requires a bit of good timing, and doesn't work on hitscan attacks, but can offer some added utility if turned on. Needless to say, using it against rockets is a Bad Idea.
2. Allow Quad-Fire With Guns Akimbo? By default, using the altfire with dual shotguns will still only fire two barrels at a time, assuming at least two barrels are loaded. With this setting enabled, using the altfire with all four chambers loaded will unleash all four at once. This comes at further penalty to spread and recoil.
3. Share Adrenaline and Akimbo Powerups in Co-op? A bonus for co-op players. If enabled, picking up these items will also grant it to all other players in the area as well, whether it's set to instant-use or carried for later activation.
4. Randomize Adrenaline and Akimbo Powerups Spawns? If enabled, this sets it so that chainsaw and berserk pack replacements will randomly select between guns akimbo and adrenaline boosts, instead of always spawning a specific replacement for each item. This is useful for scenarios such as episode one of Doom or with Chex Quest, where you can encounter one item but not the other.
Some other details about UI and visuals:
Spoiler:Some Screenshots (bit out of date regarding some UI elements):
Spoiler:Issues and problems I am aware of, and other planned things to tinker with in the future:
1. Status bar and UI could use a bit more fiddling to fit better when used in Chex Quest and Heretic. Getting keys to align better, better matchup between the status bar and any divergent fonts, etc.
2. I was tempted to work on some custom muzzle flash effects for explosive, incendiary, and plasma shells instead of using shotgun and super shotgun muzzle flashes for all ammo types. Problem is that I have a grand total of 20 different flash sprites due to how complex the weapons themselves are, so that'd be 60 more sprites I'd need to edit together in GIMP, set offsets in SLADE, and test to make sure everything is aligned just right.
3. I'm tempted to look into some scripting stuff to streamline the fire and reload states a tiny bit, especially for the dual shotguns. Will have to see sometime.
4. I plan to implement a setting that, if enabled, will steadily earn charges of adrenaline from kills, based off watcher code Zhs2 provided. So far I've had little luck getting it working, but we'll see.
5. Also planned: updates to the reload animation for dual shotguns. Namely, only depict opening one of the two shotguns if you've only fired the first two shots, to add to the verisimilitude and make it so the player isn't punished with a time penalty for reloading early. Main thing complicating this is I'd also need to add a variation for if the player only has 1 or 2 shells left, meaning only the right shotgun needs shells to be inserted.
6. Any other suggestions for stuff I could improve, and potential additional options that could be added to the mod options menu, would be worth looking into as well.
Special thanks to friends of mine known elsewhere as Ekarus, Kallin, and Saltmummy. They all helped with playtesting and/or feedback. Ekarus in particular provided some musings in a conversation that provided the initial inspiration for this mod, which I proceeded to massively overthink. They also gave the feedback that led me to implement the scripted "show color-coded weapon display name" feature to make it easier to tell what ammo you're using at a glance.
1. Getting the ZScript status bar working: Phantombeta, Blue Shadow, and Player701; on the ZDoom forums.
2. Gloved fist sprites: Edited from Angled Doom's fist sprites by JDRedAlert, on the ZDoom forums.
3. Angled dual shotgun sprites: Edited from Angled Doom's super shotgun by JDRedAlert, on the ZDoom forums. Angled super shotgun sprite originally by JoeyTD, with editing by Denis Belmondo.