DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal Extended build]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Your favorite Monster Pack for DoomRPG?

DoomRL Monsters Pack Beta 7.3
22
71%
Pandemonia Monsters v2.2
3
10%
Colourful Hell v0.98c
3
10%
DeHacked Attack 3.1
2
6%
Rampancy 1.3
1
3%
 
Total votes: 31

lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal Extended build]

Post by lucker42 »

Image
DoomRPG Rebalance is a fork of the modifications Kyle873's Doom RPG and Doom RPG Sumwunn's Edition.

Overview:
DoomRPG Rebalance is designed to balance the combined content of DoomRPG and DoomRLA to feel the depth of their capabilities.
This content can be enough to pass several WADs in a row (depending on player preference). In addition, you will be able to customize it.
Just go to DoomRPG Options -> Misc and see for yourself.

Installing:
1. Last Build of 23.11.2022 (recommended)
2. Manual Installing


Important:
After installation be sure to DoomRPG settings reset (Options -> DoomRPG Otions -> Reset to defaults).

Reviews and Tutorials:
Spoiler:
Gameplay:
Spoiler:
Changes:
Spoiler:
Compatible mods:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Kyle873;
Pink-Silver;
Sumwunn;
WNC12k;
etc.

The build also includes:
DoomRL Arsenal;
DoomRL Monsters Pack Beta 7.3;
DoomRLA Extended 0.9be;
The Sentinel's Lexicon - PvE mapset Compilaition;
WadSmoosh;
Gearbox;
etc.

Our Discord server.

Source code on GitHub.
Last edited by lucker42 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:32 am, edited 101 times in total.
ChrisHighwind
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:30 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by ChrisHighwind »

Been playing with a build provided to me in the Discord meant for Delta Touch, using the dev's recommended control scheme, and I'm enjoying it a lot!
User avatar
Doomguy914
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by Doomguy914 »

How exactly is the balance remedied from older interactions with RPG and RLA? I've seen plenty of patches and and rebalance attempts for these two mods, but ultimately the same thing happens with other versions.

RPG ramps up too quickly allowing for end game gear appearing frequently very early on a run.

Should include the core changes of this pack on the forum, to see if it's really worth downloading again. These two mods have always been highly sought after and from balance to compatibility, it's been one heck of a fight to get running, especially after Kyle announced the project on indefinite hiatus several years back.
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

Doomguy914 wrote:How exactly is the balance remedied from older interactions with RPG and RLA? I've seen plenty of patches and and rebalance attempts for these two mods, but ultimately the same thing happens with other versions.

RPG ramps up too quickly allowing for end game gear appearing frequently very early on a run.
I want to assure you - this problem is solved. Just try it yourself.

Doomguy914 wrote:Should include the core changes of this pack on the forum, to see if it's really worth downloading again. These two mods have always been highly sought after and from balance to compatibility, it's been one heck of a fight to get running, especially after Kyle announced the project on indefinite hiatus several years back.
Added a list of changes. And please note this is the first thing that comes to mind. Every aspect of the game has been rebalanced.
User avatar
Doomguy914
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by Doomguy914 »

Glad I could convince you to list some changes. It sounds very promising. Just a heads up to people wanting to download it, it's a little over 1 Gig.

EDIT: After giving this a go I noticed a couple of things.

First, the download on Google Drive includes the actual Doom wad files. Should probably fix that.

Second: I can't move at the normal walk speed despite the options in game saying always run is turned off. I even tried the actual run keybind to try to enable walking speed, but nothing fixes it. I've never encountered this issue in any other Doom mod/wad I've tried. Perhaps you have a config setting set to your personal taste over-riding the player's choices. I'm using your personal build to try it out.

I'll provide more feedback the further along I am.
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

Doomguy914 wrote:Glad I could convince you to list some changes. It sounds very promising. Just a heads up to people wanting to download it, it's a little over 1 Gig.
Thanks for the feedback!
Doomguy914 wrote:First, the download on Google Drive includes the actual Doom wad files. Should probably fix that.
You're probably right. This will have to be removed. I'll get to that in the next build.
Doomguy914 wrote:Second: I can't move at the normal walk speed despite the options in game saying always run is turned off. I even tried the actual run keybind to try to enable walking speed, but nothing fixes it. I've never encountered this issue in any other Doom mod/wad I've tried. Perhaps you have a config setting set to your personal taste over-riding the player's choices. I'm using your personal build to try it out.
In fact, such a system of running was in the original DoomRPG (speed depended on agility and did not respond to pressing "run").
I'm thinking of fixing this in the future and bringing back the running system from the original Doom.
But for now you can change the "Max Speed" parameter (see DoomRPG Options -> "Stat System").


EDIT:
Update 1.28a:
- changed the running system (now it works like the standard one - with the button pressed or the "Always Run" setting turned on);
- added function of changing the current AUG level (+ changed the control in the AUG menu);
- added Delta Touch control compatibility (see DoomRPG Options -> Misc);
- added сhanging the display of menu prompts depending on the Joystick enabled;
- minor bug and balance fixes.

EDIT2:
Update 1.28b:
- added a display in the AUG menu of the current level/level (illuminated description green/yellow respectively);
- added ability to walk with "Always Run" enabled by pressing the run button;
- minor bug and balance fixes.

EDIT3:
Update 1.28с:
- Abominant will now not appear in the early stages of the game (for Adaptive Mode);
- Damage and level of bosses has been lowered.

The patch can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

Update 1.28d:
- added Rampancy 1.3 compatibility;
- Renegade perk fixed (now all taken shells activates double shot perk);
- fixed a bug when mods from weapons disappeared when dropped.

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
User avatar
BoneofMalkav
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:04 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: It's Never Worth The Risk

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by BoneofMalkav »

With support for Rampancy Monster Pack in, I was wondering if support for another monster pack I'm quite fond of called DeHacked Attack could be done as well?
User avatar
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:03 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Brazil

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

Hi, lucker42

You don't need use "gzdoom-username.ini"
Just rename it to "gzdoom_portable.ini"

Problem solved!
Have a good day!
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

RubyEyeShabranigdu wrote: You don't need use "gzdoom-username.ini"
Just rename it to "gzdoom_portable.ini"
I didn't know that, thank you very much! Fixed it.

Update 1.28e:
- added LegenDoom v2.8.3 compatibility;
- added Colourful Hell v0.98c compatibility;
- fixed minor bugs.

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
User avatar
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:03 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Brazil

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

lucker42 wrote:
RubyEyeShabranigdu wrote: You don't need use "gzdoom-username.ini"
Just rename it to "gzdoom_portable.ini"
I didn't know that, thank you very much! Fixed it.

Update 1.28e:
- added LegenDoom v2.8.3 compatibility;
- added Colourful Hell v0.98c compatibility;
- fixed minor bugs.

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
You are welcome!
Thanks for the new update! :)
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

BoneofMalkav wrote:With support for Rampancy Monster Pack in, I was wondering if support for another monster pack I'm quite fond of called DeHacked Attack could be done as well?
Update 1.28f:
- added DeHacked Attack 3.1 compatibility.

EDIT:
Update 1.28g:
- added description for shield parts in shop;
- fixed Archangelus's lack of healthbar (for DeHacked Attack);
- fixed Spirit Elemental sprites issue (for DeHacked Attack);
- fixed Suicide Bomber gibs issue (for DeHacked Attack).

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
User avatar
Time_Streamer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:16 am

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by Time_Streamer »

I've played Sumwunn version for quite sometime now and I must say this version is running flawlessly on newer versions of gzDoom. I had strange color issues when I tried playing Sumwunn version with any gzDoom above 4.4.

Anyway, I've noticed an abnormally high credit drop in monsters. I've finished Ep1 of Doom 1 and I'm already packing 80m credits. This ruins all shop balance. Is there a way to reduce the amount of credits dropped by monsters?

I've also noticed the WAD slider in Misc. How many maps are a "WAD"? Is it possible to scale rewards and stuff based on my level instead of a fixed number of maps? It would make more sense IMHO to run around with a char and progressively level up, no matter how many maps I've gotten through.
lucker42
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by lucker42 »

Time_Streamer wrote: Anyway, I've noticed an abnormally high credit drop in monsters. I've finished Ep1 of Doom 1 and I'm already packing 80m credits. This ruins all shop balance. Is there a way to reduce the amount of credits dropped by monsters?
It sounds like a bug. Can you send me a save? (also specify the version, attach the DoomRPG.lib and config files). Just checked the build. A reasonable amount of credits drops from monsters. I don't understand how you managed to get 80 million.
Time_Streamer wrote: I've also noticed the WAD slider in Misc. How many maps are a "WAD"?
32 maps
Time_Streamer wrote: Is it possible to scale rewards and stuff based on my level instead of a fixed number of maps? It would make more sense IMHO to run around with a char and progressively level up, no matter how many maps I've gotten through.
If you put one WAD, it will be exactly as you said, but within one WAD. However, I'll think about it again.
User avatar
Mister Neauxbauxdeay
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:52 am
Location: Time traveled to 1940s

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

I don't know if there's something missing on my end, but when playing using WadSmoosh, Slayer's Lexicon and DoomRLA monsters and arsenal along with their required compatibility patches, the boss specials for E2M8, E3M8, and E4M8 appear not to trigger at all after defeating the map bosses, even though the one for E1M8 works just fine. I've replicated these results for v1.28g of the rebalance after some testing I've done.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”