ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom | Rejuvenated | RC1 in dev.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom | Rejuvenated | RC1 in dev.

Post by Tormentor667 »

M_DOOM.png
In my eyes, ZPack has always been one of the greatest community achievements ever, and it still is. It just ... didn't age to well. After retiring from creating new projects for Doom (which still was a very good decision by the way), I was finally able to concentrate on playing projects, including older releases like this one. And sometimes also experimenting, fixing and improving these existing maps and mods, as it's a lot less time-consuming than creating something new.

For ZPack, I imagined a smiliar treatment as for some of my other "Re-Releases", like Austerity or The City of The Damned, but I felt like this challenge was too overwhelming and too ambitious. Fortunately, Ozymandias81 and Salahmander2 felt different and started to work with me (or actually doing more work than I could) on a rejuvenated version of ZPack, and I think we are doing quite well.

A callout to the original authors
So many people have worked on this project, and we want to give everyone of them the chance to improve their maps as well. Captain Toenail already did an amazing job with E1M1, so if other mappers of the original ZPack are interested in doing something similar, let us know (same goes to mappers who haven't been part of the original cast, who are interested in improving existing content). So, if you can find your name in the following list, drop us a line or join us on the official GitHub repo.
  • farlowj
  • Captain Toenail
  • Hnsolo77
  • IcyTux
  • InsanityBringer
  • Keksdose
  • Phobus
  • Skillsaw
  • Vader
  • Xaser
  • Zippy
So what can be expected? Here is a list of features!
  • Added a new statusbar (base by NightFright)
  • Added widescreen graphics
  • Added a new palette
  • Added dynamic lights (removed sector light effects)
  • Added special effects (volumetric light, fire particles)
  • Added new ambient sounds and sequences
  • Added alt-deaths
  • Added brightmaps and gl-lights
  • Added gore effects (by Nash)
  • Added low-health effect
  • Improved colors for messages and statusbar graphics
  • Improvements and bugfixes to all maps (3d floors, portals, skyboxes and more fancy GZDoom stuff)
Not convinced yet? Here, some screenshots!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom | Rejuvenated | RC1 in dev

Post by openroadracer »

Tormentor667 wrote:official GitHub repo
You're not supposed to have the quotation marks surrounding the URL of your target page.
Nems
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Tormentor667 wrote:Added alt-deaths
Are we talking about the vanilla monsters having alt-deaths or the Decorate-specific monsters have alt-deaths? I ask because this could end up conflicting with monster replacement mods (I believe it's possible to use such mods in older ZPack but admittedly it's been a hot minute since I last played it so I may just be hallucinating :V).

In any event, I liked ZPack even with its faults so I'm looking forward to this. :D
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

So cool!
I cant wait!

:D
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Tormentor667 wrote:So what can be expected? Here is a list of features!
  • Added a new palette
  • Added alt-deaths
  • Improvements and bugfixes to all maps (3d floors, portals, skyboxes and more fancy GZDoom stuff)
So I'm guessing the maps will only be changed if the original authors choose to be involved directly? Since I'm not seeing map changes in this feature list right here.

Anyway, what can I say. I think ZPack is a pretty decent set, but I'm not sure it needs a remaster, let alone one that has stuff like gore effects, low-health effects and so on - this is what external mods are for, they don't need to be built into ZPack itself. Remember how TerminusEst13 made a sanitized version of Ultimate Torment and Torture, for the simple reason that many of the effects and stuff it had was largely unnecessary as part of the main mod itself and was better suited as an external mod that people may choose to load or not to load, in case they want to play with a more vanilla feel or they just want to load a different gameplay mod entirely. Except Ultimate Torment and Torture was 2007, and back then one could say we didn't know better, but in 2022, we sure do. So I strongly recommend adding these features as part of an optional mini-mod to bundle together with the main release, rather than embedding everything, as that's just gonna cause headaches going forward, or will just make people want to stick to the original, which surely for a remaster, is not desiderable.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

openroadracer wrote:You're not supposed to have the quotation marks surrounding the URL of your target page.
Works indeed better without them - thank you!
Nems wrote:Are we talking about the vanilla monsters having alt-deaths or the Decorate-specific monsters have alt-deaths? I ask because this could end up conflicting with monster replacement mods (I believe it's possible to use such mods in older ZPack but admittedly it's been a hot minute since I last played it so I may just be hallucinating :V).
Well, the alt-deaths are indeed supposed to be for the original monsters, but maybe these could be altered to be compatible with gameplay/monster mods? I actually have no idea how to do it but it would be cool to keep compatibility for gameplay mods indeed.
Dynamo wrote:So I'm guessing the maps will only be changed if the original authors choose to be involved directly? Since I'm not seeing map changes in this feature list right here.
Good guess, the map improvements and changes that we do without the original authors' permissions is fixing things and balancing gameplay, no huge changes. If original authors are fine with their maps getting a major revamp, we can do that, but we prefer to have the original cast work on their original maps if possible.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Tormentor667 wrote:I actually have no idea how to do it but it would be cool to keep compatibility for gameplay mods indeed.
Best way is indeed doing it as an optional mod like I said, however, there are alternatives. The recently showcased mod Doom CE for example has a bunch of menus that control a lot of what the mod does, allowing the end-user to enable or disable features at will, through ZScript. That type of approach might work very well for what you're trying to do here.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Looks like the old sbarinfo version of my Fullscreen Statusbar Mod is still good for something. Guess it's far easier to integrate than the ZScript release.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

NightFright wrote:Looks like the old sbarinfo version of my Fullscreen Statusbar Mod is still good for something. Guess it's far easier to integrate than the ZScript release.
Yes definitely easier and we used it also for other remasters (Sapphire, Austerity, Refinery, TCOTD1 and probably KDiZD), really worth to use it and seems to work with any kind of resolutions.
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDvj2rzVUQ

Decontanimation in process...

Decontanimation complete, have a nice day.

Just testing a little script for the nukage part for E2M2.
_OniriA_

Post by _OniriA_ »

Tormentor667 wrote:
So what can be expected? Here is a list of features!
  • Added a new palette
  • Added alt-deaths
I'm missing "added more detail" in this.

Return to “Levels”