For ZPack, I imagined a smiliar treatment as for some of my other "Re-Releases", like Austerity or The City of The Damned, but I felt like this challenge was too overwhelming and too ambitious. Fortunately, Ozymandias81 and Salahmander2 felt different and started to work with me (or actually doing more work than I could) on a rejuvenated version of ZPack, and I think we are doing quite well.
A callout to the original authors
So many people have worked on this project, and we want to give everyone of them the chance to improve their maps as well. Captain Toenail already did an amazing job with E1M1, so if other mappers of the original ZPack are interested in doing something similar, let us know (same goes to mappers who haven't been part of the original cast, who are interested in improving existing content). So, if you can find your name in the following list, drop us a line or join us on the official GitHub repo.
- Captain Toenail
- Added a new statusbar (base by NightFright)
- Added widescreen graphics
- Added a new palette
- Added dynamic lights (removed sector light effects)
- Added special effects (volumetric light, fire particles)
- Added new ambient sounds and sequences
- Added alt-deaths
- Added brightmaps and gl-lights
- Added gore effects (by Nash)
- Added low-health effect
- Improved colors for messages and statusbar graphics
- Improvements and bugfixes to all maps (3d floors, portals, skyboxes and more fancy GZDoom stuff)