I'm working on a Doom manga. (Updates to come soon)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hellstorm Archon

I'm working on a Doom manga. (Updates to come soon)

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

So, I haven't been around in quite some time.

Or at least, not as much as I used to be, especially over the past few years.

I know it's not necessary to provide an explanation for why I've been MIA as of late (especially over the past year or two), but I feel it's worth it to provide one.

Over the past few years, I've recently taken up cosplay as a hobby and it's been really good for me so far; I've joined entire circles of friends that I wouldn't have found otherwise.
And especially over the past year or two with how my own Doom Marine cosplay has evolved, I felt that some kind of Doom-related story could definitely go with it.

Over time, this idea started to evolve from "a standard Doom story where a Doom Slayer lookalike roflstomps all the demons around them" to "a deeply introspective look at trauma and how one can recover from it and relearn how to connect with people". And yes, there is a legit explanation as to why I chose manga as the medium in which to tell this story.

Oh yeah, so I'm writing out a Doom manga, and here's basically why I decided to even write it out in the first place in its current form.

Massive walls of text to ensue next. It's also gonna get really dark at points (as in, some of it requires a content warning), so just keep that in mind.
Spoiler: A Personal Backstory
Spoiler: Doomed Connections
Spoiler: Doom Eternal is Both the Best and Worst Thing to Happen to the Franchise
…and now that's finally off my chest, let's talk about this new Doom project I've embarked on and why I ultimately decided for this to be a manga.
Spoiler: Why in This Format?
Spoiler: What to Accomplish?
I know it's just a lot to read through, but if you managed to read those massive walls of text, now you know why I've decided to do a Doom manga.

But no worries if there's no desire to read the walls of text; the short of it is that a ton of really bad things in my personal life as well as extreme disillusionment with how things have been going lately with the Doom franchise has more or less prompted me to pen a manga that deconstructs (and possibly even reconstructs) the Doom franchise's premise while reevaluating my own attachment to said franchise.
That, and there's still the need to contribute at least one big thing to Doom itself.

Regarding the actual story, it's something that I'd like to keep under wraps for now, but all I can really say is that there's definitely some interesting twists on the traditional Doom stories told prior to the beginning of this millennium, and then looks to go from there. Also, it's not a remake or a reboot of the original Doom; that's all I can really say at the moment.

As for why this thread exists, I think it's safe to say that it's something that I'll be updating with news on a regular basis (be it finding an artist or the idea itself really picking up steam somewhere), just to keep everyone here updated.

More developments to come soon, hopefully sooner than later.
Last edited by Hellstorm Archon on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrodragon554

Re: I'm working on a Doom manga.

Post by electrodragon554 »

All I'm going to say on this is good luck witj your project
Hellstorm Archon

Re: I'm working on a Doom manga. (Updates to come soon)

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

To get onto updates and where the project is at so far:

I've been seeking out an artist to tackle this project, and based off of what I'm about to see, it looks like this manga will be getting an artist sooner rather than later.

Return to “Off-Topic”