Deathmatch and altdeath?

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Deathmatch and altdeath?

Post by Cutmanmike »

Call me dumb, but I don't know the difference between the two :?
Biff

Post by Biff »

-deathmatch leaves weapons in place, better for fragfest action. I believe that, with doom2.exe, it also caused health and ammo NOT to respawn. -altdeath caused weapons to disppear when picked up, to respawn later. Same with ammo and health.

Now, you can control all of that individually with dmflags. I always preferred "weapons stay" for more fragfest action and because I would be badly punished by players who had better strategy and would guard weapons about to respawn. In some cases it's also a good thing to have the ammo, health and maybe powerups respawn if they fit well with the map and give more resources to fight over.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Deathmatch and altdeath?

Post by Hirogen2 »

cutmanmike wrote:Call me dumb, but I don't know the difference between the two :?
Command line => ZDoom flag

-deathmatch => +deathmatch 1
-altdeath => +deathmatch 2
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Are all these -XYZ things commands for the console?
I've tried using them in the console, as parameters on "Targets" in Windows shortcuts... How am I meant to use the crazy bitches?
My PC is running XP and I have version 2.0.47i of ZDoom.
Any help would be appreiciated. I probably sound like a complety PC-incompetant tit posting this, but this has evaded my moderate sphere of PC know how...
Biff

Post by Biff »

These are not console commands, they have to be part of the command line which starts the game. Yes, they should work as arguments or parameters as part of your shortcut. Make a shortcut to zdoom.exe, then edit the properties and add the parameters after "zdoom.exe".

Let's say you wanted to load up dwango5.wad and play deathmatch against some bots. Set your command line to (path)\zdoom.exe -deathmatch -file dwango5.wad -warp 01 -iwad doom2.wad -skill 4

The -iwad command is useful to skip past the iwad selection menu, in case you have multiple iwads in the folder (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, hexen.wad, etc.).
The warp command is not really needed unless you want a map other than map01.

Now, after the game starts, you can use the command "addbot" in the console, assuming that you have the bots.cfg file in a zcajun folder, inside your zdoom folder. :) Or, just bind a key to "addbot", then hit that key in the game. Bind in the console, type bind b addbot
and hit enter, then in the game the b key will add a bot.

I've found tntblood map02 to be a pretty good one to play with bots.
randi
Site Admin

Re: Deathmatch and altdeath?

Post by randi »

Hirogen2 wrote:Command line => ZDoom flag

-deathmatch => +deathmatch 1
-altdeath => +deathmatch 2
No. Deathmatch is a boolean. Both -deathmatch and -altdeath set it to true. The difference between the two is the dmflags they also set.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thank you good sirs.
I modified the ini beforehand to play deathmatches - it said "should be set in next game"... and low and behold, it didn't.
This is probably the infamous "I'm Windows, eat my BS" scenario. I think I might work on a supplementary app to create a "ZDoom for dummies" preloader menu that works with the .ini file before loading ZDoom so that XP users (and of course, everyone else who wants a simpler interface) can run things smoooooothly with a capital smoo. :)
If I code it, i'll leave it opensource for expansion.

Return to “Networking”