Flankers AI Mod [Updated 12/24/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hey Doomer

Flankers AI Mod [Updated 12/24/21]

Post by Hey Doomer »

An essential military tactic is to outflank an opponent, that is go to or around one side or the other where the opponent is most vulnerable. I can't believe it's not built into Doom already, being weak AI. This is my attempt called Flankers.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
The above screenshots show this in action. The top is a monster in "flanking" mode as a shadow running around the player. The bottom is the monster camera showing the monster behind and to the right of the player shooting away. (These can be seen with debug options turned on.)

Monsters become shadows, zip to one flank or the other, become visible, and start shooting. It's possible to change most of this from Settings, including the range of flanking, how many monsters flank (I don't recommend 1:1), shadows or not, sounds or not, size of the player's flank (larger is better), and sector marking algorithm. So far this seems to be aggressive AI, but (hint) I think it can be avoided by running away.

What it does is simple. Sectors are tagged with center spots according to one of three algorithms. A flanker will head for the nearest one to the player once the player is seen, preferentially one already flanking the player. Flankers will be non-floating, missile-attacking monsters.

Monsters will become confused in tight or angled quarters which are challenging to mark with a center. I assume this works better in open areas, but I'm still testing. The shadows can be turned off, but if they are on you can still turn as the player and see the flanker for a moment. Note that the debug camera operates from one flanker at a time, which helps.

This should be compatible with other AI mods, since it doesn't interfere with path finding algorithms. Flanking is only turned on at the beginning of a "See" state, and only for those monsters who spawn as flankers.

Updates here and there as I play and optimize. (It was slow with Head Boxes but otherwise these shouldn't make a huge difference.)

Update 12/20/21
Spoiler:
Update 12/24/21
Spoiler:
Now at v1.6
Last edited by Hey Doomer on Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: Flankers AI Mod

Post by -Ghost- »

Great idea! I always felt like AI mods were an under-addressed area of Doom modding. Will you continue to expand on this with more tactics? The only ones I can think of that do stuff like this are Sneaky Doom, Universal AI, and Project Babel, so the more the better!
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

I highly Recommend you try out the ZSPECOPS monsters from Realm 667 Here: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/b ... ?start=180

They have an amazing setup that I left untouched in my FEAR in Doom mod. Absolutely awesome stuff. Might give you a few ideas to work off of.
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

-Ghost- wrote:Great idea! I always felt like AI mods were an under-addressed area of Doom modding. Will you continue to expand on this with more tactics? The only ones I can think of that do stuff like this are Sneaky Doom, Universal AI, and Project Babel, so the more the better!
I'll probably create similar mods that are compatible with a goal to make them universal. At least one comes to mind immediately.
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

kalensar wrote:I highly Recommend you try out the ZSPECOPS monsters from Realm 667 Here: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/b ... ?start=180

They have an amazing setup that I left untouched in my FEAR in Doom mod. Absolutely awesome stuff. Might give you a few ideas to work off of.
Interesting mod, and there are a few ideas there. It's fascinating to me how many different approaches are available and also how a small change can make a huge difference. However, I probably won't create any new monsters or weapons as I prefer this and any other AI mods I write to be universal in that sense.
Drake Raider

Re: Flankers AI Mod [Updated 12/20/21]

Post by Drake Raider »

This mod is such a good idea, and also a clear example of why we need so sprinting animations for the Doom roster.
Hey Doomer

Re: Flankers AI Mod [Updated 12/24/21]

Post by Hey Doomer »

Just a few notes as I work on Ambushers (viewtopic.php?f=105&t=74213 for the curious) my new AI mod. Obviously for ambushing enemies there needs to be a "watch and wait" state where, once an enemy is hidden, it waits for the player to be close enough. I've added something similar to Flankers AI and reordered the logic a bit. Mind you in a firefight outflanking an opponent is an offensive strategy. This change should be subtle.

I think that and the bug fix are enough to post an update. I want to link the two mods to integrate both behaviors depending on conditions...
DoubleU
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Flankers AI Mod [Updated 12/24/21]

Post by DoubleU »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how exactly do you get the mod? There's no download link or zscript
Edit: Nevermind, I found the other post that has the code.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”