Disabling "Missing sprite" sprites w/Automap cheat

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
DarkQuill

Disabling "Missing sprite" sprites w/Automap cheat

Post by DarkQuill »

When actors are missing a sprite or a sprite is assigned incorrectly, the actor doesn't show at all for that frame, but with the Automap cheat turned on they (usually) show as a completely different sprite (if set to animated or rotated). It's a pretty neat testing tool otherwise.

Because what frame shows can be mod-dependent, and some mods are stacked with new actors, is there a way to either determine what sprite shows up, or disable missing sprites from showing something else appearing with the Automap cheat enabled? I'm guessing it's more of an engine thing rather than something I can apply a cheap quickfix to.

Example below;

https://i.imgur.com/CW0xd6P.png

Re: Disabling "Missing sprite" sprites w/Automap cheat

Post by Guest »

Might be a bug. To quickly test this make a wad/pk3/zip with this in a decorate lump:

ACTOR sprite_missing_ZombieMan : ZombieMan replaces ZombieMan
{
States
{
Spawn:
POSS A 10 A_Look
WHOT B 10 A_Look
Loop
}
}

Load Doom2 Map01, set AM_CHEAT 2 and AM_SHOWTHINGSPRITES 3. See from the automap how the missing sprite is handled. For me it's replaced with PLYC sprites from game_support.pk3\filter\doom.id\sprites\plyc. If I use "POSS X 10 A_Look" as the missing sprite the automap will show SPOS sprites instead.
DarkQuill

Re: Disabling "Missing sprite" sprites w/Automap cheat

Post by DarkQuill »

Yeah still showing as crouched player on the automap.

The mod I was using was trying to draw a bunch of misc actors as special flats rather than sprites, but the mod also included a menu option to toggle this back to sprites, which fixed 99% of the automap errors. Chalk it up to jank coding on the mod :P

Return to “General”